RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I wonder why it matters what mpg you get, I never check, I don't care, I didn't buy anything to save gas, if I wanted to save gas I would stay home.
I like that answer lol

nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #16

At home I keep the fuel tank full. Mornings when we leave on a trip tend to be hectic so the less I deal with then the quicker we get out of town. On the road if I know there is a substantial price difference in fuel a couple of hundred miles away. I'll run it down to a 1/4 tank.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #17

You will not notice an effect on mileage with a couple of hundred extra pounds of fuel in your motorhome. Going against a light breeze will make more of a difference.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #18

I am full time so mine is never in storage. Whenever I am at a campground and will be staying a week or more I always top off before parking. Depending on what part of the country you are in you never know if you will have to leave in a hurry due to weather or a natural disaster such as a hurricane, flood, fire and/or earthquake. At these times you do not want to be looking around for fuel.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #19

Regarding mileage, e.g., fuel efficiency, if you're interested in ekeing out the best, is to keep speeds below 60mph. Pushing a big brick through the wind is a killer, not the little bit of extra added fuel or water (or beer) weight.
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #20

Fill up when you want. It's an old wives tale about condensation. I never fill up until I want too.
That means for the gas cars, when at 1/4 or less. For the diesel RV whenever convenient. Never a problem as sometimes these vehicles sit for months.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
FWIW... I use to fly airplanes for a hobby. All small airplane pilots will check all low point drains for water as a part of every preflight inspection. Always..... and before you leave it for the night you always top the tank to avoid condensation. Flying is very safe, but also very unforgiving of mistakes. If I followed that practice when flying, seems logical in my very expensive motorhome.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #22

I almost never fill the tank in my car until it's almost empty, or I find a screaming deal on gas. I've also only had a problem with water in fuel one time many, many years ago when the in-ground tanks were steel and could leak.

Just to put things into perspective it takes something like 17 hp to keep a car running down the highway at 70 mph. I know it's a lot more for a motor home but proper tire inflation and wind resistance are much more important than weight.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #23

I hear all these claims of condensation forming in gas tanks if stored less than full. When was the last time you actually talked to a person that it happened to? I used to store gas tanks full in Mich and during the last 20 years I stopped doing that and never had a problem with the lawn mower, snowblower, chainsaw, and even antique farm tractors that I did not use that often. Car manufactures send vehicles out with 1/2 gal of gas in them and they may sit for months before getting sold and filled. Tank condensation is a myth!
Now fuel going stale is a problem and it needs to be treated if stored for a year or more.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
We fill everything. Never know when you plans may get interrupted by the unknown and you may need it.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I wonder why it matters what mpg you get, I never check, I don't care, I didn't buy anything to save gas, if I wanted to save gas I would stay home.
For me, checking mpg is like checking blood pressure. It can tell me if something's wrong long before the serious symptoms show up. Mpg can detect a fuel leak.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always fill mine at every stop, AND most important, when I'm getting ready to store it.

I never know when there will be an emergency and I need to use the MH as my shelter..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
For me, checking mpg is like checking blood pressure. It can tell me if something's wrong long before the serious symptoms show up. Mpg can detect a fuel leak.

I keep track of the mpg on all my vehicles. It is the first thing to drop if there is a problem. My SUV dropped from 21 to 19.5 . Found a stuck brake caliper. Rotor was not hot , just slightly warmer than the others. Replaced the caliper and my mpg went back up. I don't track it to try for better mileage , but more for the info it provides .
Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #28

I gas up before 1/4 tank in case I need the generator for a lunch or overnight Wal-Mart, Flying J break.

I pump until my debit card stops, typically at $75 to $90. I don't think it been full yet.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank