RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #57

I always store full and I fill up at 1/2 tank in all my vehicles.

John Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping "gas" Full--

I'm in a gasser and I want all the "cooling" I can get for my in-tank fuel pump.

I don't like water in the gas, from condensation, either- I flown too many light aircraft over the years, and always see the aviation fuel sump drains always spitting out lots of water- ugh

I'm for keeping ALL fuel tank's full-

Old 09-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #59

Personally I don't monitor my MPG. It's too depressing to know so in my case, ignorance is bliss OL
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Having a Full Tank is Always Safer

September 11, 2018 we were staying at a campground on Johns Island, SC and were faced with a mandatory evacuation due to an approaching hurricane. Needless to say, all of the fueling stations in the area were mobbed.

We had booked space at an inland campground to get away from the storm. Interstate 26 was the designated evacuation route. All of the Interstate lanes had been designated northbound toward Columbia, SC and away from the Charleston area.

Unfortunately we were directed by law enforcement officers to take the lanes that were usually carrying southbound traffic. All of the exits which would have been entrances were it not for the highway reversal, were blocked. Fortunately we had a decent amount of fuel in our motorhome because we drove the entire distance without the option to exit to buy fuel.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #61

I agree with Tony Mack. I donít know your MH details but am guessing if you are taking on 80 gallons of fuel, your GVW is 16-20 k. The difference between half tank and fuel is in the neighborhood of 250 pounds. If the vehicle is 18 k, the extra fuel is less than 1 1/2% of the total weight. Would you notice that in the mpg?

Iíve had a problem with water in the fuel once. Whether it was condensation or water delivered with the gasoline I donít know but I usually purchased brand name full at high volume dealers as often as I can. BTW, it was in my truck, not the MH. None the less, I can vouch that it can happen.

Bottom line here is you are not likely to see a measurable increase in fuel economy. But for discussion sake, letís say youíre getting 10 mpg with full fuel. Optimistically, letís say you increase mpg by .25 mpg with half fuel. Over a thousand miles, youíre looking at 2 1/2 gallons saved. $7-8 or so over a thousand miles. Weigh that against the cost of just one repair or towing.

Commendable to be concerned with efficiency so let me offer this. Put 250 pounds of weight in the MH. Fill it up and take a trip of, say 200 miles. Fill it up and see what the mpg is. In reality, youíd have to do this several times to get a realistic average. Then remove the 250 pounds and do the same thing and see how much the mileage changes. Then youíll have reasonable data, not exact, but close. Then decide

Cheers!
Nova Joe 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #62

I fill up between 1/2 and 1/4. I don't really like to get down to a quarter of a tank. I seldom check my mileage, whats the point. If I was super concerned about mileage I'd be staying in hotels.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #63

Figure 8MPG. You might get 9MPG if you go down hill a lot. Fuel management is not worth your time in an RV. I do however drive about 1/2 tank then fill up when I'm on travel. Never want to get stuck on the side of the road.
edegenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRV.com View Post

Do most experienced RV'ers run with partial fillups? And then to see overall MPG fill up every so often.

Thanks... Ron (2019 HR Vacationer 35P)
Most experienced RVíers fill up when they need to and never check their mileage. If you need to check it perhaps you shouldnít be an rvíer because it sucks. It is however the price you pay to have one. I donít care what you do, water fuel, supplies it still sucks and the inconvenience of doing any of the above simply isnít worth it. Enjoy it and donít look back.
halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #65

Private jets and turbo props add Prost to the fuel.
It kills the alge and absorbs water.
ThTs worked for me for 45+ years.
I have no idea how many gallons Iíve used.
The plane is refueled before each flight.
Jim Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to sailsam Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
Sensible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I wonder why it matters what mpg you get, I never check, I don't care, I didn't buy anything to save gas, if I wanted to save gas I would stay home.
Kurtsara - don't you wonder about the people on this forum that talk about how to MAYBE get an unimaginably small increase in fuel mileage, and still drive an RV, are allowed out of mental hospitals?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsam View Post
Kurtsara - don't you wonder about the people on this forum that talk about how to MAYBE get an unimaginably small increase in fuel mileage, and still drive an RV, are allowed out of mental hospitals?

Saving $$ just makes sense and it allowed us to retire early at age 55. I have friends that are considered spenders vs savers and they are still working until their SS kicks in.
Don't knock the tightwad, it might be the major reason for their success.
I watch my mileage very closely and if it changes, I want to understand why. There will always be a reason and it might be a signal that something is starting to fail or that the wind is starting to pick up and it might be time to stop for the day. I won't drive into a 15 mph headwind with my fifth wheel sail.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #68

Always fill up the gas tank or??

I appreciate your question, as it generated a lot of varied answers. Ours is a gasoline v10, not a diesel.

I like having a full tank, because I consider our RV as an asset in emergency situations. It holds a lot of potable water; it has full bathroom facilities; we can cook and clean in it, and we can "get outta Dodge" in a hurry if necessary.

Finally, when folks ask me about what kind of mileage we get, I reply, "Well, we don't get that good of mileage for a car, but we get great mileage for a home!"
UJAAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #69

My top Gas Mileage tips!

I consider water (a good deal heavier than gasoline) and gas fill levels only when I have extended climbs over mountain ranges ahead of me. I will notice a difference in uphill performance and we are fulltimers running fully loaded. It's certainly good practice to dump the dead weight in the waste tanks, maybe hold off on water fillup. Nothing feels better to a redblooded American motorist than a full tank but more important is filling in NV or AZ and as little as possible in my former home state CA.

If you want fuel 'economy':

1. Get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa card and use it for all fuel purchases, you get approx a 5% rebate on unlimited fuel purchases. Also use it for all grocery purchase, it's approx 3% on those. I get 5 or 600 dollars a year in tax free rewards with this card. You don't need to be military either.

2. Shop at Krogers supermarket brands, there are a number I know of, Frys, King Sooper, CitiMarket, etc. You get fuel points up to $1 per gallon, up to 35 gallons at their station or at QuickStops, Circle K, Shell, etc. An RV is exactly what you want when you pull up to the pump with a $35 / 35 gallon discount! A few weeks ago I got 35 gal at a $1 discount, then restarted the pump and got another 28 at a .40 discount at which point the tank was full, I felt cheated out of the last 7 gallons. But I left feeling pretty smart anyway! Kroger's stores and store brands are also the best in my experience.

*For bonus points use your brother's phone number as your alternative ID at the pump. You know, the one who's wife shops at King Soopers religiously and never bothers to use the fuel rewards. We get their rewards across 3 or 4 states, UT, AZ, NV, CO, but no deal in CA as far as I know.
bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #70

If you record your fuel and miles drivn, then when you finally DO do a fillup, you will be able to calculate your fuel MPG. You don't have to fill up every time. I carry at least 1/2 tank of water, have the black and gray tank around 1/4 to 1/2 full and keep the fuel tank as full as possible. I get really nervious wen I get down to 1/3 a tank of fuel, so fill up as close to half a tank as possible. Plus I HATE getting my fillup interrupted by the magic $100 limit on most pumps.
Bob '14 Winnebago Adventurer, Jeep toad

bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank