RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #85

I park my MH with the fuel and fresh water tanks full and the holding tanks empty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I maintain vehicles and boats and I can assure you that its not an old wives tale. It costs us thousands of dollars every year cleaning up other peoples messes from fuel tank condensate and the resulting ethanol separation creating white foamy/soapy sludge in the fuel tanks.

Its pretty well known the the Onan Marquise 5,000 has a clam-shell intake manifold that is bonded together and Onan techs will admit that its very common for those intakes to loose their bond after a low fuel backfire event.

We also hear of people on this board having to either drop their fuel tanks or cut a hole in their floors to access and replace a failed fuel pump or clogged fuel sock too.

There are also a lot of very busy fuel system polishers out there cleaning up fuel tanks and replacing fuel pumps that have failed across the US for a Old Wives Tale. This also impacts operators of gasoline stations who need to have their tanks cleaned with some installing built in polishing systems to keep the fuel circulating and trap any algae, etc growing in the ethanol fuel.

Ethanol is at the root of all this and if you have ethanol fuel thats been sitting untreated you will be having some level of contamination. Even treated Ethanol is only good for 2 years before it starts phase separation while insufficiently treated it can absorb enough moisture though the tank vent to phase separate in very short order especially if you are in a very humid area such as South Florida and your tanks not very full.

Face it too that many 30 year old motor homes are still on the road today. Its not uncommon for a new user to join this forum after having just purchase a late 1980's to mid 1990's coach and those coaches can face issues from fuel lines and seals that are not ethanol resistant.

New vehicles are not immune to phase separation and other ethanol related issues either and this will likely only stop once they stop producing ethanol. The only thing they have really engineered out of newer vehicles is using fuel lines, seals and gaskets that either dissolve or swell up when exposed to ethanol.

Newer fuel injected generators add a new wrinkle in that the impellers on the high pressure injector pumps can fail when run dry making it more critical to not allow your fuel level to drop below the generators fuel pickup.

Old motorhomes sitting around are certainly prone to these issues. Is that what we are discussing here? No, this started as a discussion on whether excessive fuel weight would impact fuel economy. I don't believe it has much effect at all and I offered some actual concrete suggestions that will get you some significant savings.

And what's with the wild statements like 'below a half tank you are getting dangerously close to running the generator or fuel pump dry'. Really? Normal non neurotic people use their tanks up before refueling, hundreds of millions of vehicles weekly in the USA.

You all go ahead and keep filling those tanks up when they are half full by all means. It's hilarious, I've heard this same overblown opinionated nonsense from old guys all my life, now I'm 65 years old and still hearing it, it's like the same old guys are still around.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #87

I never pay attention to MPG. Last year my rig sat for the winter with 1/4 tank, I filled up in spring and went on with the season. When traveling and get to 1/4 - 1/3 I start looking. I boondock mostly, and run my Generator alot, so always full when going to be parked for a bit while traveling. I use about a half gallon per hour when running generator.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #88

Double posted...
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #89

I try to keep it full when ever I can. I didn't buy a motor home to save money on fuel economy lol.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #90

My gas coach has a 100 gallon fuel tank. Anytime I get gas I always fill it up, usually I am putting in about 60 gallons.

We keep our coach at home and the 100gallons of gas will go a long way to running the coach in the event of a power cut at home.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #91

I have for some time now adopted a practice of always keeping as full a tank as possible. The difference it might make in mileage is minimal but running an in tank fuel pump (which is the common location) without the benefit of a full tank keeping the pump cool and lubricated is by far a bigger risk of an expensive repair.
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Always fill up the gas tank or ??

I always top off when I find gas cheaper than it will be where Im heading next. Id rather get 20 gallons at 2.85 than wait till I cross into the next state and have to get 50 gallons at 3.50. Conversely Ill let it get down to a quarter tank or so if I know fuel is cheaper where Im heading. It keeps my average cost/mile lower.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #93

I agree

I agree with the statement, I didnt buy a motorhome to save gas. If I wanted to save gas Id stay home. 🤗
Mayor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Mike View Post
I agree with the statement, I didnt buy a motorhome to save gas. If I wanted to save gas Id stay home. 🤗

I don't think most people are concerned about saving gas, it's all about the $$. If you can save $50/$100 of fuel on a trip, you will get most people's attention.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRV.com View Post
In order to watch my MPG on the class A RV we bought in March of this year I tend to always fill up when it half a tank or so. The 80 gallons of gas weighs about 504 pounds so for our short 2 to 3 day weekends at a state park 60 miles from home it seems I'm wasting some MPG carrying all that fuel.

Do most experienced RV'ers run with partial fillups? And then to see overall MPG fill up every so often.

There's no water hookup at this state park that we frequent so normally it's a full tank of water but this past weekend we've only used 1/2 which seems typical for a 2 night stay. I dumped the other 1/2 when we left and think I'll try filling up there instead of at home.

Thanks... Ron (2019 HR Vacationer 35P)
I always try to keep it full (fuel) and generally never let it go below half when traveling. Water I keep about a 1/3 when traveling
Old 10-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #96
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
If you want fuel 'economy':

1. Get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa card and use it for all fuel purchases, you get approx a 5% rebate on unlimited fuel purchases. Also use it for all grocery purchase, it's approx 3% on those. I get 5 or 600 dollars a year in tax free rewards with this card.
Thanks for the tip but have a couple questions on how you redeem/cash in your rewards. Looked this up on their website and saw nothing.

Some of these c/c companies limit you on where you can redeem your rewards. Some like "Discover" send you a check, some offer discounts on trips, hotels and air fares and would be meaningless for us.

On these 5 or 600 dollars a year in tax free rewards that you get with the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa card card, how do you redeem these rewards? Is it on their own reward store or what?

Can you use them to purchase stuff on Amazon and other store?

Just looking for details on how you cash these in.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
On these 5 or 600 dollars a year in tax free rewards that you get with the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa card card, how do you redeem these rewards? Is it on their own reward store or what?

Can you use them to purchase stuff on Amazon and other store?

Just looking for details on how you cash these in.

I log onto my account on the PFCU website, there are buttons to go to REWARDS section of the website. There you can cash your points in for various store gift cards, merchandise, charity, travel etc. I always select the prepaid VISA reward card which comes in $50, 100, 250 and 500 denominations. It's a Visa card coded for one time use, spendable and accepted anywhere, very convenient. You get 5 points for every $1 spent on gas, a $50 card costs 5880 points so it's a bit less than 5% reward around 4.8%, 3 points per $1 on groceries so that's a 2.8% reward. This card is very good for travel also as there are no foreign transaction fees and the exchange rate is good. We use it in Mexico where we can.

The CITI double cash card pays a full 2% on all purchases so I use it on everything other than gas and groceries. I redeem the points on the website for statement credits so it just lowers the amount due. This card pays more than the PFCU card over the course of the year, when you blow the transmission you use this card to pay for it, pay your fulltimers insurance policy with it etc. Last month we bought a new carbon mountain bike and other products totaling $12k, the reward on that is $240 this month, nice.

Neither card has an annual fee. We set up autopay from our checking to pay in full every month. So it's totally free money but best of all I like the idea that I am taking advantage of the banks instead of the other way around. Your credit score will go to 830 when you pay in full on time every month.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank