Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #15

I'm also in the same boat, 3 young kids, just wrapping up 5k miles from the summer. I have been leaning towards a palazzo 33.3, smaller motor, any pitfalls? We are in a gasser bunkhouse now, hoping for a big upgrade when we jump to a dp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
I'm also in the same boat, 3 young kids, just wrapping up 5k miles from the summer. I have been leaning towards a palazzo 33.3, smaller motor, any pitfalls? We are in a gasser bunkhouse now, hoping for a big upgrade when we jump to a dp.

Storage might be an issue with the xcs chassis. There is pass through storage technically, but the frame rails go right through the storage space. I like the mid entry and front bunk, but not the chassis. Wish other companies would come out with a raised rail mid entry coach (other than Newell of course)
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just picked up the Fleetwood Discovery 40G after looking at a lot of bunks, the 2016 models can be had brand new at around 212k, which to me is probably the best deal you can get.

- allison 3000 transmission
- ISL9 motor (upgradeablea to 450hp, still 1250tq)
- fleetwood custom chassis

We looked for a while and eventually settled on this, the sportscoach had some nice models but lacked the allison 3000 that I wanted for hills.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #18

I own a Forza 38R and have traveled from Ohio to Colorado with 6 adults, 2 children and 3 dogs. There was adequate room in the galley and living area
while traveling down the road. With the bunks and convertible dinette worked awesome. Easy access to 1/2 bath going down the road. A drawback is the driver seat is almost rendered useless while parked. No tv options in the bunks, but can view main tv from them.
I like the Forza 38W layout a bit more with the extra shower and kitchen slide...which might make drivers seat and tv viewing more useful...if you can get the seat turned past the steering wheel. You loose the bunk dinette.
The Discovery 40G and Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA have really narrow aisles when navigating down the road. The Red also has a small refrigerator for accommodating many mouths to feed on trips. The bathrooms are relatively small for the motorhomes size.
Reality96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
looking to upgrade myself. today we have the storm 32BH gasser. would like to upgrade to a DP,.It fits our needs but ride is terrible on La. roads (21000 steps on the FITBIT while driving) If they (any company) would make it one with 1.5 bath opposing slides, 360+ 3000 tranny, booth dinnette and a drop down queen in front (grandkids use it for play area) and bunks that can hold up to 300 lbs.. It would be MH of the year.When dropping 200k+.seems like the companies would listen. Pretty much looked at all that was available down south La.(Fleetwood, Tiffin, Sportcoach, thor)
Obrenn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Agreed. Need bath and half with booth dinette, good sight line to tv while driving, residential fridge, and either bunks or drop down overhead upfront (like the Thor Venetian), and have good ccc and towing capacity (that leaves sportscoach and Berkshire out). Discovery would be great but only single bath. Newmar ventana le 4042 checks all the boxes except for booth dinette. :(.

Hate to say it but the Thor Venetian comes closest to what I'm looking for....just wish newmar had something for me
Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
gtsum2, I have to agree the 40BX is about as close as you can get. The walk through bath may have to take the place of the 1.5 bath. I did ask the sales to make sure you can walk around the pull out sofa when being used and you can. I looked at the pace arrow and you cannot walk around, you have to climb over.
Obrenn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I submit that the OP's desires are not so uncommon, but the desire for a Diesel Pusher puts you in a smaller market...4 gas motorhomes are sold for every 1 Diesel in North America.

If you want more choices, you might consider gas...
https://thormotorcoach.com/challenger/floorplans/
Like the Challenger 37TB.

The 360+ HP desire puts you in the ISB-XT or bigger engines = even less floor plan choices. These RV's are made for a customer that more usually lives the: "Six for drinks, four for dinner, and two for overnight" lifestyle...and these RV's have a matching price point.

IMHO, the much more common 6.7L six cylinder Diesel vs. 6.8 V10 gas with Ford's new 6speed are not as different in day-to-day operations as previous DP/Gas comparios.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Consider another option to satisfy your needs?

Have you considered a custom motorcoach such as Haulmark, Showhauler or Renegade. I have visited the Showhauler plant and was impressed with the price point and what you got.

You have the options of custom floor plans, one heck of a CCC, and in many instances, less cost than a Class A DP.

Having 7 kids ourselves, that would have been a definite option way back then. Although back in the 70's, they actually designed coaches for large families, but not necessarily all the creature comforts we have become accustomed to now. Amazing how we survived with a 31' Class A and a pup tent, and no tow car. What were we thinking?
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I totally agree. The Ventana LE 4042 is amazing, and would pull me over the 40-foot barrier for sure. I would want to buy one *right now* except for one thing: the lack of a booth dinette is a deal breaker. What genius thought that was a good idea?

Granted, a custom shop might be able to make that happen, if the space is big enough, but that would be costly. Another option would be to rip it out and put two captain's chairs with seat belts there (inline, like on the older Newmar All Star models, a floor plan I love!), and put a removable table in front of the sofa for dining. However, having to spend a whole bunch more money after plunking that much down on a new motorhome doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy, especially when the spend would be to correct what I view as an egregious factory design error.

Newmar, I hope you're reading this. You could sell a lot more Ventana LE 4042s if you fixed the dinette situation. I can't speak for others, but I'd be willing to give up that TV if that's what it took to make it happen. I don't go camping to watch TV.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #25

I think you will find that the bunk house market has more possibilities than what you might think. Entegra has both the Insignia and Aspire that are bunk models that can sleep six comfortably. The Berkshire 45A can be had for amounts near what your budget is. The Ventana and Dutch Star lines both have bunk models that might fit your profile. We had our Berkshire 390bh for six years and it was a great unit. If you are willing to leave the comfort zone of a 38-40 foot rig, there are a lot of choices that may fit your needs.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #26

Agreed on the vle 4042... it a fan of the dinette situation...otherwise love the layout
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #27

Best bunk floor plan out there is the holiday rambler 40G
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #28

Take a look at the Thor Aria 4000.
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, motorhome, motorhomes