Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
Am I Lucky Or What??

Last week I had a scheduled appointment at HWH Factory Service in Moscow, Iowa. I had an issue with the jacks that needed fixed, plus I was getting all new springs installed on the jacks.

I rolled into their facility the night before my appointment. They have several parking spots with electrical hookups. I chose a spot, backed in and hooked up the 50-amp service. I then started to put the living room slide out, but it moved very slowly. The hydraulic pump didn't sound right, either. It sounded as if it was running with a very light load. The slide eventually got all the way out, but something was not right.

I walked back to the bedroom to put those slides out. When I got back there, I smelled something odd. It was a faint, mechanical smell, but I could not place what it was. It wasn't strong or unpleasant, but it was something new. When I ran the bedroom slides, they also moved very slowly. What the heck?

The next morning when I was bringing the slides back in, they again moved slowly...too slowly. For a few moments I thought the living room slide was not going to make it back in, but it finally completed the travel and locked in place.

When I moved the coach to the service bay, I told Lon, the service manager, about this problem. He said he thought he knew what is was, and he instructed the techs to run a pressure test on the pump. The pump should deliver 3,200 psi, but when they ran the test, it only showed 2,000 psi. Not good. Since a pump failure is somewhat rare, they continued to troubleshoot by checking the voltage to the pump, and a few other things. Of course, all these tests meant they were running the pump a lot. All signs pointed to a bad pump, until one of the techs happened to walk over to the passenger side of the coach and saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463196488.579760.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	126935

That's not water on the shop floor...that's HYDRAULIC FLUID! Two hydraulic hoses in the bedroom had burst and sprayed hydraulic fluid all over the floor under the bed! We pumped about 2 quarts of fluid overboard before discovering this. The hydraulic bay is at the left front and this is the right rear...a long way from where the testing was going on.

The HWH techs dived in, disassembled the bed and took a look. When Thor built this coach, they ran the two hydraulic hoses for the passenger side bedroom slide around the corner of the bed frame too tightly. The hoses were touching the angle iron bracket of the bed frame. After 9 years and 81,000 miles, the hoses had rubbed that piece of steel so much that they had finally been cut through. The HWH guys cut out the damaged section of hose, spliced in new, longer pieces and put things back together. They even helped clean up the hydraulic oil that had soaked into the carpet. After about 3 hours of work, all was back to normal.

It took these same guys only 20 minutes to replace all 8 jack springs! Amazing.

Now I ask you...how could I have been so lucky as to have those hoses fail when I am at the factory that designed and built the system!

By the way, the service experience at HWH is among the most pleasant I have ever experienced. Great people and service techs who really know what they're doing.

Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Definitely lucky to be where you were when the hoses blew.

Interesting battery layout in the picture. Are the bottom batteries house and the top batteries chassis?

2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38' Class A, Spartan chasis, MM-2242, Cummins 330 pulling a 2014 Ford Focus.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Yes, chassis batteries (two 12-volt) on top, house batteries (four 6-volt) on the bottom.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That was a miracle!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
Did you buy your lottery ticket yet?
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to hear stories about good service instead of some of the worst experiences
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #7
Great luck.
motohomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made two trips to their factory. Great service as has been posted plus they take you to lunch everyday .
That's good luck to have those lines burst there. That's like breaking a leg in a hospital emergency room..

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote