Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Am I Missing Something?

I am planning to assist my son, in replacing the fabric, on his main awning. The awning is manually operated and is on a travel trailer, he just purchased. Neither of us have done this before, although I have replaced my slide out topper and it was relatively easy.

To prepare, I have studied some "You tube" videos, on the subject. They show, removing the end caps on both ends of the awning tube, which involves unwinding strong springs inside the tube, with the appropriate warnings of injury or death, if you don't pay attention and do it correctly.

I'm thinking that after the awning and tube is removed from the roof gutter, the tube springs do not have to be unwound. The awning tubes have grooves in them, that allow the old awning to be slid out and the new one is just inserted into the groove and slid to the end. Of course, the springs, should be locked down, to prevent them from accidently unwinding.

So as I see it, after the awning is removed from the gutter, the old awing can just be cut off the awning tube and replaced.....right?

I wonder, "am I missing anything"? If any of you have replaced an awning(s), I would appreciate any responses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

I replaced the awning fabric on a M.H. a few yrs. back. I had to remove the end cap because the groove for the awning fabric didn't line up with the holes on the end cap. The groove for the decorative end piece of the awning did line up. Removal wasn't too hard, there is very little spring tension when awning is retracted. We cut the old fabric while retracted then removed cap ,counting turns as we loosened spring.Unrolled awning,replaced ,replaced cap, preloaded spring, same # of turns. hardest part was sliding fabric in top groove. It took 2 people on ladders to manuver the tube, while I guided the fabric welt through the groove & secured it.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #3

You're in for enough hassle with this project. Save the shortcuts until you've done it a few times and I think you'll come out way ahead. Removing and adding preload not that hard or dangerous IF you know what to expect. The guys getting hurt are usually ones totally unprepared and are caught off guard when all that tension catches them by surprise?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Make sure you do just what the you tube showed you, there is a spring on both ends, as stated above the end caps will have to be removed. Those springs will put a hurt on you.....so be careful. once you get the springs taken care the rest of the job is a breeze.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
You know, all three of you are exactly right. I took another look at the tube and realized that the open groove was for lights and other things to be hung on the tube. The one for the awning is enclosed by the caps on each end. Thanks for the responses. I will carefully unwind the end caps, counting the revolutions, as I go.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This would be a great time to inspect the springs.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
This would be a great time to inspect the springs.
Yes, it would. Thanks for the heads up.