Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Am I missing something on my Propane Tank?

Took a look at my propane tank today, it looks like I am missing some kind of cap, I say that, because the inside threads look new and bright.

Does anyone know what this port is for, I did try a bing search, but nothing came up.

Does anyone have a picture or know what is missing and where to get one

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_210624.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	152605   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_210702.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	152606  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

That is the 'Relief Valve'
Missing dust cap.
Pointed down and out of propane compartment should it open due to overpressure

Use to have a picture of a MH tank with components...can;t find it right now so here is a diagram
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That is the 'Relief Valve'
Missing dust cap.
Pointed down and out of propane compartment should it open due to overpressure

Use to have a picture of a MH tank with components...can;t find it right now so here is a diagram
Thanks Old Biscuit!!, was looking for a diagram, does it need a cap, piece of tape, or leave it alone?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #4

JMHO: A piece of tape to keep debris out till you can locate the correct cap.

I'll check my tank and see if I have the same valve and a P/N on a cap.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Here is a site that recomends a small bag and rubberband.

http://www.propane101.com/safetyreliefvalve.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #6

Most likely you had a plastic dust cap covering the relief valve. I've attached what mine looked like and a close up of what you may want to purchase. The cap will "blow off" when needed if excessive pressure is present. Yours may have blew off entirely, tether and all.

Some tanks will have a hose attached to the valve to vent it away from the tank itself. Here's an old thread where a member is asking a similar question ...wondering what it was he was seeing coming out the bottom of his tank. At the end of the thread, it's concluded that it is a relief valve:

2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N - propane line

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dust cap highlighted.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	152688   Click image for larger version

Name:	relief valve dust cap closeup.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	152689  

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

Relief valve

thisis not my picture or my unit but mine looks just the same. I was worried about a line that hung down under the tank and motor home that could be taken out by road debris. But it is an empty tube. Mine doesnt even have a dust cap on it. It exits by the rear duals. Just to keep the overpressure blowoff from being directed under the mh.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
thisis not my picture or my unit but mine looks just the same. I was worried about a line that hung down under the tank and motor home that could be taken out by road debris. But it is an empty tube. Mine doesnt even have a dust cap on it. It exits by the rear duals. Just to keep the overpressure blowoff from being directed under the mh.
Coincidentally, that photo is from the thread I referenced in my previous post. Yes, some tanks do have that setup that takes any bleed-off away from the tank area. No dust cap should be necessary at all in that scenario. And even if yours was partially taken out by road debris, I'm thinking it would not be that big of a deal in that the valve is still being protected from dust and debris.

The dust cap is probably not something that needs to be replaced immediately but as others have said, you would want something protecting the valve itself from getting clogged which is something that would in all likelihood take time to accumulate in order to clog the valve.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #9

A dust cap is nice to have to keep road debris out of area BUT if relief valve should open it will clear anything on it....they open at 300PLUS psi
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
A dust cap is nice to have to keep road debris out of area BUT if relief valve should open it will clear anything on it....they open at 300PLUS psi
They open at 300.1 psi. A slight leak can let debris into the sealing seat.

From the propane safety website if referenced.

A protective cover should be placed over the relief valve to ensure proper operation. If the valve has debris in the upper mechanism of the relief valve and it opens, the debris may cause the valve to remain open resulting in a potentially dangerous situation and/or excessive loss of propane. A simple protective relief valve cover can be made from a plastic bag fastened around the external portion of the valve with a rubber band.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank