Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Amazing inventions?

Anyone have an invention or modification or tool for camping life, that they have come up with, that they have not been able to find in the marketplace?

If you are planning on a future patent please do not comment this is just to help others.

Thanks

Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #2

EDIT: Okay, I think I understand what your post is about now. You want to discuss ideas for items/devices that would be desirable, or that someone came up with to solve a problem or make life easier, but are not yet on the market?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting subject Rick! Always looking for new ideas!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Anyone have an invention or modification or tool for camping life, that they have come up with, that they have not been able to find in the marketplace?

If you are planning on a future patent please do not comment this is just to help others.

Thanks

Rick
Another good topic Rick! Would using a propane torch to light a campfire qualify? Since I carry small propane bottles for the grill I added a torch head and use it for a fire starter.

I made a tool so I could remove the primary fuel filter much easier, does that fit into your topic idea?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

How about a tool that will shut up the neighbors yapping dog, then pick up the dog poop when the stupid owner pretends they didnt see rover take a crap. You would be rich for sure.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

I dont think this is an amazing invention, but I took a wooden broom handle and cut it down to 40. I screwed a hook into the end of it that I use to pull my air tank drain lanyards inside my front wheel wells. I also use it to grab items deep inside my basement. In the other end I glued a rubber boot. I put that on the side of the coach and mark off on the stick where my slide outs come. I use this as a measuring stick when I pull into a camp site to ensure that my slides dont hit anything when they come out.

I like having a hose on the passenger side of the coach, so I attached a length of 1 pvc under my coach right in front of my rear axle. I put quick connect fittings on each end and a t with a plug for draining. I use a gated y at the spigot. One side goes into the coach, the other connects to the qc. I also have a qc on my black tank flush so I just switch the hose when I need to flush. I have a 50 hose on the pass side with qc. Sorry no pics, I sold the Coach. Will do the same on the new one.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I dont think this is an amazing invention, but I took a wooden broom handle and cut it down to 40. I screwed a hook into the end of it that I use to pull my air tank drain lanyards inside my front wheel wells. I also use it to grab items deep inside my basement. In the other end I glued a rubber boot. I put that on the side of the coach and mark off on the stick where my slide outs come. I use this as a measuring stick when I pull into a camp site to ensure that my slides dont hit anything when they come out.

I like having a hose on the passenger side of the coach, so I attached a length of 1 pvc under my coach right in front of my rear axle. I put quick connect fittings on each end and a t with a plug for draining. I use a gated y at the spigot. One side goes into the coach, the other connects to the qc. I also have a qc on my black tank flush so I just switch the hose when I need to flush. I have a 50 hose on the pass side with qc. Sorry no pics, I sold the Coach. Will do the same on the new one.
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that "modification". I use the awning pole that I've marked the slide out lengths on, and marked the length of the two cargo doors that I need to open to get to the electricity and water compartments. I put a short piece of vinyl hose on the one end to place against the paint. It never seems to amaze me how many times we get perfectly parked and that one water cargo door just, just just hits the campground water post making it hard to get into that compartment. Now Sharon has a way to make sure all things can be opened without hitting trees, branches, and odds and ends of campsite things.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

I found a small pump sprayer is very handy to squirt windshield washer fluid onto the windshield of the coach and toad, plus it will reach the backup camera so I can clean it. I also carry my own squeegee for those fueling stations that have none, or broken ones or short handled squeegee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Sprayer.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	196071  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

Proceed with CAUTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post

Thanks

Rick

Rick, I apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted your post.

HOWEVER

My advice to ANYONE who has developed an item that may have commercial value is to not work with ANYONE until and unless they have gotten a provisional patent or copyright (whichever applies), in their name alone, in advance.

There are LOTS of people and companies out there who offer to "help" inventors bring their items to market who in reality end up, shall I say nicely, absconding, with said idea and the original inventor gets nothing.

An individual or company with a legitimate offer to help market an idea will have no problem if the original developer has taken basic steps to protect his/her invention . . . .

. . . not so legitimate people will drop it like a hot potato once they find out that the developer has protected him/herself.

Not saying that is what you are doing, just curious why you aren't interested in "helping" people who already know how to protect their idea . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #10

I use a garden hoe to push the pads under the levelers and then pull them back out. Works perfectly. Reshape it a bit and rename it and you've got a money maker. It also stores perfectly in the tool bay along side the water take.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I use a propane torch to light my cigars. Best windproof lighter out there.

Pro tip: Make sure you're sober.
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #12

This device is more for trailers,but I built a powered up and down 20' flagpole that can be tilted down to ground level to attach flag and is lit up at night with a dusk to dawn sensor as a trigger.......3 section telescopic, and use a remote to operate....whole thing stays mounted next to ladder...and also fab'd up a lever that lets me open the screen door without sliding the slider open to reach factory handle.....was under $5.00.....
Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

Well,
This may or may not have ever been suggested on here but, I've got one that I devised a long time ago. I've been using this for years and it's always worked flawlessly. It's ANOTHER way of lighting campfires. I kind-a play a small guessing game with some of the seasoned vets we camp with that are first timers for being with us. When it comes time to get a fire going for a relaxing evening, I bring out my remedy.

I open up a clear plastic jug that's about 6" x 6" x 8" or so high. And, I ask the first timers to smell what's inside. Mind you, some of these boys are aged pretty good and, have been around. Many have a puzzled look as they smell it and, suggest all kinds of answers.

Well, in all reality, it's very, very simple. It's nothing but, SAWDUST and DIESEL The mixture is simple. You fill this empty container about 3/4 or more full of regular sawdust. Then, dump in about a cup of diesel. Now, put the lid on it and, sit down for about a few minutes and tumble it over/under/around etc. 'till the mixture is all uniform. No need to add a ton of diesel. About that much is fine. You don't want or need a gooey mess. When blended and mixed right, it still will be flakey particles like regular sawdust, only with a wetness.

We have carried this mixture for years, about 25 to be close, and it's worked flawlessly for hundreds of campfires. And no, for you chemist police out there, your motorhome is not going to blow up 'cause you're carrying this mixture. The diesel comes from a gallon jug that is used when I change my fuel filter and empty the old fuel filter into it. The sawdust comes from, well, CUTTING WOOD.

How it's done:
I simply chop up some kindling and lay a few sticks of it in a checkerboard pattern. I then get my mixture and sprinkle it on top of that checkerboard kindling. You don't need much, just sprinkle it around. Then, add more kindling 'till you think you have enough to get a good starter fire going. Now, you can use a match, tiny butane lighter, a rolled up piece of paper, whatever to start that mixture going.

And, contrary to using any other volatile liquid, i.e. GASOLINE, it does not flare up and present a potential for danger or injuring someone. It just slowly starts to flame. It doesn't smoke, it's not a foul odor, and, burns long enough to get all the kindling going with no re-starts. And, it works in some windy and wet conditions. From then on, you add your larger wood. The good part is, this will store, in your m/h compartment for ever, and won't deteriorate the container and risk damage or danger.

It's a long description for a small product that aids in starting campfires but, a full picture is now presented.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
EDIT: Okay, I think I understand what your post is about now. You want to discuss ideas for items/devices that would be desirable, or that someone came up with to solve a problem or make life easier, but are not yet on the market?

Yes, I assume thousands of men and women are like myself, have simple ideas not worth the time or expense to patent but have made a prototype that works great, maybe others can try something similar or even improve on that idea.

I just dont want someone sharing something valuable if they plan to move forward someday on a patent, knowing it can be copied once explained.

Thanks

Rick

Tags
vent