Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach vs Newmar

Switching gears again on new coach...

considering a new coach & was looking at Dutch Stars but think we might look for a little more coach a couple years old. 2012 or newer with a 500hp. We did look at the Mountain Air new but not at that price point we might look used. Lots of changes in the 2015 models that confuse things even more.

Do like the Newmar but they do not offer too much with the dinette on the passenger side. I am seeing American Eagles with dinette on the right side & floor plans we can live with.

Early on in our shopping we did drive an American Coach & I thought it was one of the better riding coaches we drove. Yes I drove the comfort drive Newmar both in the DS & MA & comfort drive is nice but the coach was not as quiet a ride as the American Coach or the Allegro Bus 45.

What can you tell me about the American Coach Eagle vs maybe a Newmar Essex one or two years old?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi StuartS,
They are both fine coaches. Consider the top three things to consider and your decision is already made.
1. floor plan
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and people? CCC or NCC depending on brand. Or GVWR minus unloaded weight.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? GCWR minus GVWR and the receiver hitch weight rating.

Gut feel says #2 and 3 are okay. Now it comes down to #1. The OP says you like the American coach because of the eating area placement. All other things being equal, go for the American Coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

American is build on Freightliner Liberty chassis, massive storage. Essex will be bigger then the Dutch Star, but not as much as American.

Newmar has better insulation, including in the basement.

But you may need to find and test drive an Essex, very different then Dutch Star.

Floorplan is the key to the whole thing, if American has it then the right choice is simple.

When buying used you're at the mercy of the market. Find the coach that meets all of your criteria, you might not want to let it slip away.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
But you may need to find and test drive an Essex, very different then Dutch Star.
I drove a new Mountain Aire & the old Essex I expect to drive about the same as the new 2015 MA with the 500 is mostly the 2012 - 2014 Essex.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

That is true, just making sure you're getting apples to apples.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We've been driving our American Coach since 2006. It's not perfect, but it's a great coach and still attracts attention wherever we go. I would consider the Newmars in the same class as the AC Revolutions, Allegiance, Traditions, Eagles and Heritages. You decide what AC model matches what Newmar model, but they are all top shelf.

I would buy used to get the most value for your money - we bought our 2004 in late 2006. High line coaches are rarely abused and often well-cared for.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Switching gears again on new coach...

considering a new coach & was looking at Dutch Stars but think we might look for a little more coach a couple years old. 2012 or newer with a 500hp. We did look at the Mountain Air new but not at that price point we might look used. Lots of changes in the 2015 models that confuse things even more.

Do like the Newmar but they do not offer too much with the dinette on the passenger side. I am seeing American Eagles with dinette on the right side & floor plans we can live with.

Early on in our shopping we did drive an American Coach & I thought it was one of the better riding coaches we drove. Yes I drove the comfort drive Newmar both in the DS & MA & comfort drive is nice but the coach was not as quiet a ride as the American Coach or the Allegro Bus 45.

What can you tell me about the American Coach Eagle vs maybe a Newmar Essex one or two years old?
We had 2 Newmars,99 DSDP and a 2004 MADP,we drove them a combined 12 yrs and appox 160,000 miles..replaced 2 light fixtures,and a inside step cover motor twice and 1 A/C valve
We then bought the 12 Am Tradition...drove it 6 months and 6 ,000 miles...had to replace the hyd lines..melted,replace the elect refrig-stopped working,central A/C had styrafoam blocking the duct causing no cold air,trim around TV was falling off,neither seats-driver or passenger would turn,the elect slide locks would work only sometimes,the elect wires would bunch up under the slide gears,the fuel tank guage didn't work,the tank guages never worked......plus a few other items that escape me at this time....
This is my comparision of American to Newmar,,,,,so a 2015 MADP is in the future
Make your own choice...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
StuartS, I have owned 2 American Eagles, a '99 40' non tag and a '09 42' tag. Things American would be responsible for absolutely no issues. Both of my Eagles were on Spartan Chassis, new AC are on Freightliners, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with that.

AC customer service is one of the best I have ever experienced, the other being Sea Ray (I have a cruiser also).

Newmar makes very good products, my opinion only, but the Mountain Air and Essex are closest in comparison to the Eagle, I personally think the Essex is a little better coach in some ways than the Eagle and the MA just a tad less, but only my opinion from what I have seen.

I personally agree with many other comments, floor plan is important and the other item is your personal taste how they are decorated/finished inside. To me that is the biggest difference between the 2 coaches, but that is all personal taste in my opinion.

I can tell you that my '99 was a very good looking coach based on all the comments I received and I owned it for 11 years. Both were 2 years old when I bought them used.

Good luck and let us know what you decide, I really don't think there better one between these two IF you are comparing comparable coach's.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #9

You left out the London Aire, it's between the Mountain and Essex.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Find the floor plan & features you like. Either coach will be a good buy.

Tags
newmar