Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Thumbs down American Revolution 42 T

I purchased a new coach from American coach, and from day one it has been a piece of junk, broke down the first day out, and on this first trip developed 68 defects, plus broke down again.
Dirt entry into the coach was so bad you could write your name in the dust on the floor, in the rear bedroom and closet. Electrical items stop working then restart on their own, break down after break down, one year on and still breaking down on a regular basis, yes they fix one thing and something else goes wrong. Heating and hot water keeps stoping working then restarts on its own a day or two later. Three times the turbo line has blown off and left us with out power, two cooling fan gear box's, bad fitting slides, one slide was over two inches out of adjustment and I had to point this out to get it fixed, cabinets, poor paint finish, and the list goes on, if you can think of any item on a coach then it has either quite or played up in one form or another.
Never, never buy a Fleetwood product, we now have had three and each one was a piece on junk.
First around 11 years ago bought a new Coleman West Lake pop up, fell apart, dumped it at 3 months old, years later bought a new 2011 Discovery, it literally fell aprat, 11 months later we dumped it, in total frustration, bought a new 2012 Revolution, and it is the same as all the others, a piece of junk, and others I have spoken to have simular problems, HEED MY WARNING KEEP AWAY FROM FLEETWOOD PRODUCTS.

colinabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
colinabbott . . .

Wow, sorry to "hear" of so many issues with a new coach. I'm sure you've probably contacted American Coach? What did they have to say? We have a 2003 Revolution 40C on a Freightliner chassis. To be sure we've had our issues, but nothing "show stopping" or even trip interrupting.

I will say that every time I've called Fleetwood, even on my "now old" Revolution, they bend over backwards so to speak to get me information or to try to resolve our issues. There are an awful lot of Revolutions out there so yours has to be an anomaly.

Just a note or two: House items, (dirt ingress, electrical, "Yes American Coach" - Turbo line is Cummins to resolve. I'd contact Cummins, not the dealer, for resolution (they initially fixed all their items very quickly and efficiently) The hot water? (diesel heater?) I'd contact the manufacturer of that unit for resolution if your dealer can't or won't resolve it. With the exception of the dirt ingress and the slide, they (the appliances) all may have, and likely were, working when the vehicle left the factory

I can tell you, we are going to have some significant repairs done to our RV. I'm going to contact the factory today as a matter of fact to get them to more or less "refurbish our RV." We have compartment "issues" (water ingress/seal/latches and a few other issues ) and even significant rust in some compartments. Kept outside, RV's take a beating, but I'm not blaming them.

I feel you need to make AMERICAN COACH aware and just see if they resolve your issues - Us, well after they do their thing in Decatur, we'll keep it a bit longer, but we'd like a 2014 Tradition 42G as soon as I retire.

I'll check the new one as carefully as a used one though. I do "hear" what you're saying, but our experience with the coach and the factory have been amazing.

If you haven't, call them and ask them to get involved. If you've already called them and they didn't help, let us know.

Don . . .
djevanstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to hear of all your frustrations with the new coach. Every manufacturer makes a coach that has issues from the start. I can guarantee that if you call Fleetwood and get them involved right away, they will make your coach work to your satisfaction. I will agree that it is a pain in the neck, but get it back to Decatur ASAP and dont leave until you are satisfied. There is a reason why the service facility is considered the last 200 fet of the assembly line. Unfortunately that is the downside of buying new. If you hang around on these forums for a while, you will see that all makes and manufacturers have their gremlins. Someday we will be able to buy a motorhome that works like a Lexus right out of the gate, but that time is definitely not now. Best of luck to you.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Ouch! You have your hands full with a seemingly large number of faults. We owned a Fleetwood Revolution a few years ago and it was a pretty good unit, but as with most large class a's stuff breaks. I quickly learned to get my fixes to the best or appropriate shops. As mentioned above, Cummins if it is engine related. Hydro-hot or Aqua-hot issues need to go to a shop that has experience with such units. Anyone else will bungle those units up. We have friends with a 2012 American Revolution and they have had good luck with theirs. We looked at American Revolutions when we bought our Newmar Dutch Star. These are complex systems and there is a lot of stuff to wrap your mind around. At any given time, we are dealing with a half dozen maintenance issues on our Newmar, some of which I can deal with when time permits and some I had to get it done ASAP. I think my situation is normal. I have had a couple of people tell me they have never had their large class A in a repair shop, but I suspect they are either very fortunate or they have missed some things. We camped with a couple in July that were on their second trip In a new $400,000 class A. Their first trip was interrupted by a fire in the DEF system. Lots of stuff needed replacing. I think what you are dealing with while unfortunate, is probably not unusual. I don't know what your experience is with electro-mechanical systems, but I recommend that you do some homework, starting with this site, and begin to get a grip on the problems that are plaguing you. Good luck, but hang in there.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I owned my first Fleetwood product, 1999 American Eagle for 11 years and my second Fleetwood product, 2009 American Eagle for 2 years. Both were new to me, but when I call American Coach at 800-435-7345 for Parts or troubleshooting, they have been unbelievably responsive.

The Cummins issues need to go to Cummins, but I would find it hard to believe American wouldn't bend over backwards to work with you to resolve your issues.

I hope you joined this forum to get assistance and offer assistance, not just to vent towards the mfg.

I understand your frustration, good luck in getting them resolved.
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If Fleetwood products are so bad why do you continue to purchase products from this company? I am just curious...and best of luck!
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3650
2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Bill & Sue
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by conmoto View Post
If Fleetwood products are so bad why do you continue to purchase products from this company? I am just curious...and best of luck!
That was the first thing that popped in my mind reading the OP's opening thread? Your not just purchasing small items (maybe the pop-up), but very expensive MH's. One Fleetwood after another that keep falling apart and you keep purchasing $200,000 + Fleetwoods? I too am sorry your having such a hard time with your new 2012 Revolution. I've had issues with our Fleetwood, but most of those issues are with products that other companies Fleetwood used in building the MH. But after working through them the first year of our purchase everything has been in good working order. But, I know down the road something else will quit working it's just part of the MH life we live. We had to be towed to a Freightliner facility after our Cat engine went on the fritz on I-90 (a fuel rail sensor went out). You just work through it. Who knows, it may go out again? But I'm not going to run to another MH with a Cummins engine because of it especially after reading of your problems with Cummins. I wish buying a new MH would have the same results as buying a new Lexus but after reading threads such as yours and others who bought new MH's from many different manufactures and were totally frustrated with them, the over riding theme from most is to keep working through the problems and things will start to work out. I hope you can get all these problems worked out with Fleetwood and Cummins and if you decide to trade for another manufacture please keep us updated. And yes....Welcome to iRV2...you'll find lots of advice and direction on the problems you'll encounter no matter which mfg you decide to go with.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
I guess my rev is a good one, sorry you are having trouble but the fact s no matter what you have or who makes it they all can have problem. I was raising cane to be nice at a car dealer one time,he told me they are made in detroit not by god.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
One has to question the poster? His first post and he comes on trashing about a new RV? Something doesn't smell right here.
Gary and Karen plus our furry kids Sable, Jetta, & Winston. 2014 Newmar DutchStar 4369 & 2013 Chevy Equinox.
Home is where we park it
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Sorry for your troubles, but!!! As you can see here most Fleetwood owners are very happy with their coaches and the customers service they have received. Every coach will have some sort of issue sooner or later. Like previously stated it's just a part of the RV life. I suspect you may be overwhelmed by a few issues that are causing you to overstate your problems and past experiences. I'm not being ugly here, I just think you may be a little frustrated and being unfair to Fleetwood. I believe that 90% (or better) of Fleetwood owners are very satisfied with the quality and 99.99 % are happy with their customer service. I would recommend any Fleetwood DP to my family members and friends. And remember you have Freightliner and Cummins who built part of that, not Fleetwood. Maybe you have never owned any other RV's and have nothing to compare Fleetwood to. I believe Fleetwood holds up better than most.. All RV's need a little constant care and up-keep...Just saying.

Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Have you called American Coach?

They always want to help me with my old 98 Eagle.

It has been a bullet proof unit.
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
One has to question the poster? His first post and he comes on trashing about a new RV? Something doesn't smell right here.

X2 --have to agree
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
Sounds like my Tiffin Phaeton I bought new in 11, now have the 12 Revolution and have put 22,000 care free miles on it. Sorry for your bad year, but Tiffin also has issues, and the rest also.

2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote