Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
American Revolution 42G or Ellipse/Tour QD

We have been looking at the 2014 Ellipse/Tour 42QD. We like the floor plan and the typical options (although we could care less about the tailgater package that seems to be on most of them).

A dealer that we have been working with has a "2015" American Revolution 42G that he is willing to deal on at about the same price as a "2015" Tour QD. (I know the Tour is not really a 2015 with the new features like the multiplex wiring, larger external TV and sound bar/sub-woofer, etc, but just the between model year change over)

The Revolution options include, exterior TV, dishwasher, fireplace, waste management pump (not sure what that does), power shade package, central luggage door unlock, heated tile floor (our dogs WOULD NOT consider that a feature), 1st full bay 90" s/o tray, and 2nd full bay 36/54" slide out tray.

He claims that in general the Revolution is a significant upgrade over the Ellipse/Tour.

The revolution certainly looks nice in the pictures (we will have to drive 2 1/2 hours one way to see it). The Ellipse/Tour seems to have a nicer Nav/entertainment screen in the drivers cockpit. A big concern is that the Revolution's web-site says that a memory foam mattress is standard. We absolutely hate our very expensive memory foam mattress in our house. I also don't see anything about auto-gen start which is a consideration for us with our dogs.

Any thoughts are comparing the two?

John & Dorene with the Sleeping Dogs - Lexie, Bailey, & Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (GSD)-2015 American Coach Revolution 42G and 2013 CRV
BernerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

I think a simple walk through of each and the right one for you will show itself.

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
They will both have Auto gen start. I don't know about the Revolution, but our Son and Daughter-in-law love their Ellipse. Beware though, that Winnebago was not pleasant to deal with after the sale. David Bott has a post here showing the complete build of his Tiffin 45LP. He went to Tiffin after Winnebago refused to correct several major problems on a brand new Tour they ordered.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
The memory foam mattress in my 2014 Rev is very comfortable. I assumed I would have to replace it immediately since I have hated all other memory foam mattresses I have ever slept on. It is also not hot to sleep in like a tempurpedic.
Nubulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Both great coaches. American is second to none, and the customer service is the best. Floorplan, Floorplan, Floorplan! Drive them both then choose. Good luck!
2005 American Tradition 40L
69' Camaro in tow
Petes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 2012 says it is a memory foam, but it is not like the others I have tried. Very comfortable bed, we hated our Sleep Number in our 08 Discovery. And yes, gen auto start is standard. We love our Rev.
American Coach 2012 Revolution 42W
lmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
I looked at a 2014 tour it was nice but would be uncomfortable since it did not have a extra bed just lay out chairs/couch retailed 393,000 drive out 295,00 so if you can get a 2015 rev for that or better go for it. One other thing my personal preference is the side radiator of revs.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both are nice coaches, and we loved the QD floor plan (the Rev G was not available in '11), but one of the things on my list was a side radiator. Less maintenance. There are a lot of threads here on how to clean the rear radiator.

Can't speak personally for Winnebago service, but we've been very pleased with both American Coach service and our dealer (Tom Johnson's).
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Thanks for the responses. Reassuring about the memory foam (we absolutely hate the one we have in our house due heat build up).

We are taking a drive over to Tom Johnson's on Sat to check it out.

John & Dorene with the Sleeping Dogs - Lexie, Bailey, & Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (GSD)-2015 American Coach Revolution 42G and 2013 CRV
BernerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
As said above, the Rev is more coach and the side radiator was a must for me also.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Check out Dave Botts blog about his experance with a new Tour
Winnebago – No Sale of Special Ordered Coach – Lack of Build Quality | Outside Our Bubble

I have a good friend with a 2013 Tour 42GD and in the first year the living room/kitchen slide had to be removed because of a faulty drive system.

I would go with the Revolution in a heartbeat.
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Petes Dad View Post
...American is second to none, and the customer service is the best...
That has been my experience also.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Get the Rev. Better quality and it will hold its value better than the Winnie. IMHO
Fasteddie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
I am still amazed when I drop American an email question. I get answers in hours with schematics and anything else needed to completely answer my questions. My rev is almost 10 years old too! They provide me unbelieveable support. I bought my rig used, but would strongly prefer an AC if I bought new given the post sales level of support they give me.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote