Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That is the problem. You get a huge savings off of MSRP but take a huge hit on trade in value.

So, you either get a big discount off MSRP and nothing for your trade or take a smaller discount and get a larger amount for your trade
Exactly. With a trade all I'm looking for is the difference. When we bought the Magna the dealer either gave us $20,000 more for our trade or they took $20,000 off the price. Same difference

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #30

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking about a deal where there is no trade!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #31

Quote:
That is the problem. You get a huge savings off of MSRP but take a huge hit on trade in value.

So, you either get a big discount off MSRP and nothing for your trade or take a smaller discount and get a larger amount for your trade
There is only one number that matters....that's the one on the check you are writing. Pitting one dealer against another is not unethical but just smart business. Lay out what you want and see who sells it and then go for it. That's what we did when we bought our Berkshire and it worked like a charm. The unexpected part of our negotiations was when the best deal was six miles from our house.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Exactly. With a trade all I'm looking for is the difference. When we bought the Magna the dealer either gave us $20,000 more for our trade or they took $20,000 off the price. Same difference
Its only the same difference if you live in California or another state that deals with sales tax in the same way on vehicles. In CA you pay sales tax on the full price of the vehicle, not the difference between new vehicle and trade in.

Lets say your buying a MH and have a trade. The dealer offers $450k for MH and $200k for trade, or $500k for MH and $250k for trade.

In CA and some other states, youll pay Sales Tax on the $500k or $450k. Not the difference ($250k). In LA County, with Sales Tax at nearly 10%, its 50k or 45k respectively. Since they subtract trade value after applying Tax, at $500k ($550k) with a $250k trade in, your down to $300k. With the $450k ($495k) with $200k trade in, your at $295k.

Its not a lot, but its actually cheaper to take the lower negotiated price on the new MH, and take the $50k "hit" on Trade value.

Those of you in states that only get charged tax on the difference, count yourselves lucky. Unless your state levies an annual luxury tax.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Here's a thought to consider. Find the model you and yours really like then look for a 1 or 2 year old unit with low mileage. You will save big and probably get a better than new coach without having to hassle with the dealer or factory purchase it to fix those small annoying items that somehow are always overlooked. This way you can save money and time that you will spend going back and forth with the dealer or factory. Ask around to see what others think😄
I found just the opposite. I can buy new for what most all of the 1-2 year olds on RV Trader are trying to sell for. Too many people over pay when buying new and put ridiculously high prices on their units. Buying used from a dealer is even more ridiculous.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Reading this thread is a real education you can't get most places and has re lighted my desire to swap to the MH / Jeep combo. The Jeep would be my DD. The MH of choice is the Newmar BS. Short one. Just me and dog no wife. So, you're saying a new $120K unit can be had for somewhere in the high 70's? That would be fun. If gas ever goes back up to $5 a gal we will see a new game, true? Are RV shows a good place to deal. There is a big one in Oct here in So Cal. Also, do you think that 2-3 year old Bay Stars are at 50% MSRP? Thanks for the great info.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:

Amen brother, it's the lucky man that gets both.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Reading this thread is a real education you can't get most places and has re lighted my desire to swap to the MH / Jeep combo. The Jeep would be my DD. The MH of choice is the Newmar BS. Short one. Just me and dog no wife. So, you're saying a new $120K unit can be had for somewhere in the high 70's? That would be fun. If gas ever goes back up to $5 a gal we will see a new game, true? Are RV shows a good place to deal. There is a big one in Oct here in So Cal. Also, do you think that 2-3 year old Bay Stars are at 50% MSRP? Thanks for the great info.
Hmmmmm. New Bay Star for 120k MSRP? I haven't shopped for Newmar as I found they were more expensive than that. I took a quick look now (30'er) and I didn't see any for under 146k MSRP.
I also found that brand makes a big difference. I bought mine last year and it was between Tiffin Allegro and Fleetwood Bounder. Dealer was a lot more negotiable on price with the Bounder and the MSRP on the 2 units (on the lot) were within a few thousand $.
My gut says no way for a new Newmar at that low a price. Take a look at rvtrader and what used ones are going for. Hey, maybe I am wrong. I am curious how that will turn out. Keep us updated when you try it out.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I found just the opposite. I can buy new for what most all of the 1-2 year olds on RV Trader are trying to sell for. Too many people over pay when buying new and put ridiculously high prices on their units. Buying used from a dealer is even more ridiculous.
You are so right. Folks have paid too much without doing their due diligence. Then they try sell at too high a price.

However, there's always the next guy who didn't proceed with his due diligence either and the seller might get his price. Just not from me.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
Its only the same difference if you live in California or another state that deals with sales tax in the same way on vehicles. In CA you pay sales tax on the full price of the vehicle, not the difference between new vehicle and trade in...........................................
That is unless you take advantage of the out of state delivery. Purchase the coach, have it delivered to you in a neighboring state, keep it out of CA for the required amount of time and then bring it in tax free.

When I did it, I had to keep the coach out of CA for 90 days and zero tax owed. All the time it was out of state, it was a CA registered vehicle.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I know its possible to get 34% OFF MSRP, I did with no trade.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #40

What did you buy Chuck?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
Those of you in states that only get charged tax on the difference, count yourselves lucky. Unless your state levies an annual luxury tax.
Yep, here it's a little under 10% (depends on the county) of the difference. No income tax nor annual luxury tax and tags cost us about $130 a year for the MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #42
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As much as you can get!

UAV is offline   Reply With Quote