Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #43

Was talking to my Caddy general manager friend and told him what I posted to the forum and he said to add a couple things.

1. Go into the dealer anytime to look at, drive and work a deal. But if there is a “Best Time” to work a deal it has always been and is still today the next to last week of the month. And the later in the day the better. If you’ve not reached the deal you want with this dealer it's also the best time to get them to take another look. This is the point of the month when they know what there sales look like and are more likely to deal deeper if sales are less than steller. Late in the day the salesman and his boss want to go home, they've had a long day and it benefits you! And again, don’t be in a hurry to buy, the dealer's not going anywhere!
2. SAVING MONEY IS LEGAL! Be nasty and smart-alecky and you’ll accomplish little at most dealerships. Be friendly, direct and firm and the gates can open to you. It’s the salesman’s job to sell you a motorhome for as much money as possible. It’s your job to not let him do it! DO NOT tell a salesman you can get it for less down the street or anything untrue. It diminishes you and signals the salesman you’re not honest! You may not believe this, but there are times, few of course, where the buyer is less honest than the salesman! Wow, what a concept!

I know there are motorhome salesmen lurking on the forum and I apologize in advance for these posts. Not for the content, because the content is true! I apologize for your planned trip to Hawaii when a customer walks in who’s not a pilgrim!

Oh and one last thing! If you think you can’t buy a top brand like Newmar, Tiffin, and American Coach etc. You’re dead wrong! When a salesman tells you “sorry, can’t get that kind of money off that coach because that coach company doesn't give us that high of margin”! The salesman just entered into the dishonesty realm we just talked about!

Oh and one more last, last thing! Many dealers WILL NOT give you a copy of the deal sheet. After you write out that $5,000.00 check we talked about in the first post, take a picture of it and the deal sheet. No salesman is going to jump up, slap you, grab the deal sheet and run! You need a copy of the deal sheet, no ones memory is that good! If they do slap you, you just smile and say "Thank's I needed that"!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Was talking to my Caddy general manager friend and told him what I posted to the forum and he said to add a couple things.

1. Go into the dealer anytime to look at, drive and work a deal. But if there is a “Best Time” to work a deal it has always been and is still today the next to last week of the month. And the later in the day the better. If you’ve not reached the deal you want with this dealer it's also the best time to get them to take another look. This is the point of the month when they know what there sales look like and are more likely to deal deeper if sales are less than steller. Late in the day the salesman and his boss want to go home, they've had a long day and it benefits you! And again, don’t be in a hurry to buy, the dealer's not going anywhere!
2. SAVING MONEY IS LEGAL! Be nasty and smart-alecky and you’ll accomplish little at most dealerships. Be friendly, direct and firm and the gates can open to you. It’s the salesman’s job to sell you a motorhome for as much money as possible. It’s your job to not let him do it! DO NOT tell a salesman you can get it for less down the street or anything untrue. It diminishes you and signals the salesman you’re not honest! You may not believe this, but there are times, few of course, where the buyer is less honest than the salesman! Wow, what a concept!

I know there are motorhome salesmen lurking on the forum and I apologize in advance for these posts. Not for the content, because the content is true! I apologize for your planned trip to Hawaii when a customer walks in who’s not a pilgrim!

Oh and one last thing! If you think you can’t buy a top brand like Newmar, Tiffin, and American Coach etc. You’re dead wrong! When a salesman tells you “sorry, can’t get that kind of money off that coach because that coach company doesn't give us that high of margin”! The salesman just entered into the dishonesty realm we just talked about!

Oh and one more last, last thing! Many dealers WILL NOT give you a copy of the deal sheet. After you write out that $5,000.00 check we talked about in the first post, take a picture of it and the deal sheet. No salesman is going to jump up, slap you, grab the deal sheet and run! You need a copy of the deal sheet, no ones memory is that good! If they do slap you, you just smile and say "Thank's I needed that"!
WyoFree, all dealers are not alike, there are a few out there that still have integrity and ethics, you just have to look for them. When we bought ours, with basically minimal if any negotiating, the closest other dealership out of four was $6000 more. We got a great deal without a fight, and other dealerships told us it couldn't be done for that amount. Our dealer gave us a copy of the MSRP, and the deal worksheet so we could go get our insurance. We did not exchange one penny until the day we picked up our MH, and after doing the walkthrough(that lasted 4 hours) and them showing us how, and that everything worked as it should.

My only suggestions to you are don't go in with a chip on your shoulder, as that may bring unnecessary tension, it's not a fight and if it is go somewhere else. Don't just go off what you think the % discount should be. Brand to Brand they should be in the same ballpark, but when checking different manufactures you will see a difference. Part of the reason is the higher end MH manufacturers don't build as much markup into their MSRP, they don't have to show a huge discount to sell them. Some of the less quality brands have a huge markup, and give a better discount to make the person who sees all the flash and glitter think they are getting a great deal, saving maybe $5000 from what they could have had a higher quality MH for, and have been much happier. And you can't do all your research here you really need to go out and see/drive as many as you can. You will start to see the quality difference and it will explain some of the price differences as well as percentage discounts. You get what you pay for and with a MH a few thousand more can make a world of difference. Good Luck, and looking for one is half the fun.

PS....I'm not a dealer or a salesman, just one satisfied customer who bought a MH that we love rather than one that we will just get by with.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again, the experts come out and give their advice. Why should the rv industry be more transparent? Does the jewelry industry publish cost figures? Perhaps the furniture industry? Bottom line is the only time a dealer accepts your money is when he is making a profit and usually a good one. I dont see a problem with a professional salesperson taking a Hawaiian vacation every winter and spending summers at their lake house. We're not talking best buy tv's and cell phones here, were talking 100k to 300k coaches.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #46

20% off MSRP is the average. Go for 30% and see if they'll meet you at 25. I also always wait until lots get their new year models and want to push their old ones off the lot.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #47

No, that 20% off trying for 30 is hogwash! That is Motorhome salesman speak. 20% off a $300,000.00 is the place a salesman will start!

i don't understand how anyone could read this thread and think that 20% is a good thing! Yah it's better than 10% but come on!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Once again, the experts come out and give their advice. Why should the rv industry be more transparent? Does the jewelry industry publish cost figures? Perhaps the furniture industry? Bottom line is the only time a dealer accepts your money is when he is making a profit and usually a good one. I dont see a problem with a professional salesperson taking a Hawaiian vacation every winter and spending summers at their lake house. We're not talking best buy tv's and cell phones here, were talking 100k to 300k coaches.

Best response I've seen. If the dealer can't make a profit then the dealer won't stay in business. Pretty simple really.

Decide on a brand, model and floor plan and your options that you want. Then send out bids to various dealers and see what happens. If the deal is a good one then you are happy and the dealer is happy. If you can't get the deal you want then perhaps your numbers aren't realistic and you need to adjust your numbers. If you think you can get a rig for 50% off then I wish you luck with your search because it will be a VERY long search.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #49

Hey nomad10th, I want to apologize to you. After rereading my last post it was snarky and I'm sorry for posting it! We can get that at home we don't need it on the forum!!!