Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Amount off when buying a new coach?

I've read numerous posts about what a first time buyer can get off on a new coach.

Many have Said 20 to 25% off and if that's true there are many folks who have left a pot-full of money on the table.

I know, I know, I'm out of my mind right!!! Spoken by the 20 to 25 percenters who left all that money just sitting there. Hey don't get mad at me, you're the one who dropped your knickers. That would make me mad too!

Truth be told if you don't have a trade you can get 33% and even better if you order one.

And I'm not talking about "Tinker-Toy-Motorhome. I'm talking Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago, Fleetwood etc.
Don't hate me for the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

Timing is a big factor in negotiating price , if the RV you're interested in , has only been on the sales lot for two days , don't expect a great discount.
Mid Feb. in a snow storm, RV on the lot since Sept. , well that's a different story.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

Timing is a big issue but there are different margins given by the manufacturer for different brands. For example, you may run as high as 28% on a Newmar or a Tiffin but an Entegra can be had for discounts into the mid-30's, depending on dealer.

I attended a "show" recently by the local Tiffin dealer. Their "show price" was an Allegro Bus with a list of $529,999, or so they said because the manufacturer's list was not shown, which they had wonderfully marked down to only $499,999. Buyer beware is an understatement when dealing with dealers like that!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

I forget the exact % off at this point but it was right around 30% off msrp. It arrived on the lot the same week. I bought it on Saturday. I am sure others have done better and most have done not as good. You have to be happy with your purchase at the price you paid. I am.
Now, if I can only get the dealer to do my warranty work before the warranty is up. It's been there since the first week of March
That's another story and another thread.

Shady Truth about Buying an RV
Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Hey computerguy, let me know if you make that post. I'd like to hear about it!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

I suspect one can get better "deals" on the cheap stuff because there is little choice so the factory is kicking out a run of a model at a time. That creates a pool of "leftovers" to sell off. High end units built to order do not have that pool. The only "deal" source is any speculation units a dealer orders to have one on the lot for demonstration purposes or customer returns they take as a good will move. Somebody probably got a "real deal" on the one with the massive water leak. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

I always thought Tiffin and Newmar as high end? I know their not a Prevoste or Newell but what coaches are?

The coach my friend bought was a Newmar London Aire. Nor too shabby by most standards!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless a potential buying is willing to walk away from a bright, shinny and new coach and understand what it takes to negotiate firmly and stand their ground on a reasonable price there will always be money left on the table. I fully understand and support a dealer to make a reasonable profit but I don't intend to be funding the dealer's vacation to Hawaii for the extended family. Myrtle Beach well OK but only if they are borrowing a coach off the lot and staying in the SC State Park.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #9

My feelings exactly. They need to make money to stay afloat and I'm all for that. Years ago a good friend of mine was a general manager of a large Cadalick dealer. I was amazed at the ways they had of making money through General Motors.

Same is true of coach companies, it's not all in the markup!

Oh, and anyone buying a new motor vehicle without the manufactures sticker has his head in a very dark place of their anatomy!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My opinion:
Discounts run anywhere from 15% (typical) to 30% (aggressive negotiation). Some dealers won't eve go much beyond 15%, while others routinely do if you push them. That's often the difference between a small-mid size dealer and one that seeks high sales volumes, but once in awhile a small dealer needs to turn a deal to pay the bills or get a slow-seller off his lot to replace with something else. And occasionally there may be factory incentives that can help as well.

Sometimes the discount % you hear about is overstated, e.g. it is based on an inflated dealer price rather than factory MSRP, or includes trade-in or whatever. Or excludes fees assessed for prep or "dealer fee". I'm not saying they are all that way, but when details are given some turn out that way.

I don't think you should get too hung up on a number. Educate yourself about the real MSRP of the models you are interested in, then prepare to bargain firmly. Make sure you have an all-in price, with the only extras being taxes and fees paid solely to the state government. Then shoot for 15-30& range and try your best. If you lock yourself into one dealer, you are at a disadvantage, so be prepared to shop elsewhere. If you are hot for a popular model, don't expect to get a really deep discount, cause the dealer knows he can sell it to somebody else next week.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

Thanks Gary and that's why I say "Deal from the MSRP"! Also contact the manufacturer and have them send you the MSRP dealer sheet. It shows the base MSRP of your coach of interest and the price of all options.

The dealer needs to know "You ain't no Pilgrim"! You deserve the best honest deal you can get. Knowing what things cost is the first step in keeping everyone that way!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
35% off MSRP. Last year. LA Mesa RV seems to give good deals. Trade in not good. Lost 40%. Service and sales very good.
So far don't regret it. Keep negiotating.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a thought to consider. Find the model you and yours really like then look for a 1 or 2 year old unit with low mileage. You will save big and probably get a better than new coach without having to hassle with the dealer or factory purchase it to fix those small annoying items that somehow are always overlooked. This way you can save money and time that you will spend going back and forth with the dealer or factory. Ask around to see what others think😄
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #14

Hi longweekends, I agree with you, you can save money and in theory have the bugs worked out if it. I for one want a new coach that I know everything about it because I've owned it from the first day!

My wife is adamant on a new coach if I want her to travel in it! Knowing that the bed is new and we're the only ones to sleep in it is important to her.

And I get that because it's exactly how I feel from a little different direction. I want to know that all has been done as I do them!

I know others feel that way or there would be no used coaches to buy.