Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Trojan Battery Company

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
, and can be recharged faster..
That is a common claim with AGM's.

I think (Not sure) the biggest RV converters I've seen are 80 amp If it's a combination device (Inverter/charger) They go to around 100.

80 amp is what Damon installed for my pair of six volt golf car batteries. (they really should not get more than 70 but since it also feeds the chassis and whatever is on in the house, 80 is good).

Do you really have enough converter to make "Faster" a consideration?

now, as t the rest of the post I quoted that from.. Good points one and all. If you decide to go AGM. Those are the best reasons for dooing so,.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all iRV2ers who posted. Thanks for sharing great information and resources!
Al
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just replaced my (6) Interstate 6Vs. The rig had the originals (U-2200's) but were not checked before intra-state delivery. When I checked, most of the cells were dry or very low. When I tested the cells with some fluid, they were just over 1.0 (i.e. not going to come back). The dealership made it right and reimbursed me for the new batteries (GC2-XHD-UT to be exact as U-2200s are not made anymore).

Anyhow, they came with an Interstate flyer (Battery Warranty Information) that says:
(5) Batteries should NOT be given a periodic equalizing charge. Batteries should only be equalized if or when a battery or group of batteries illustratees uneven specific gravity reading of 20 points between cells."
(6) ...batteries should be recharged before the voltage falls to 12.45 volts or 1.225 specific gravity.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #19

No matter the designation all lead acid batteries are about equal and produce about 4 amps per pound. I have never noted substantial differences between batteries again no matter the designation.(Deep cycle or starting battery) and their output is almost identical. As far as I can tell, they are identical batteries and built exactly alike. What are the real differences? Marketing. It's just marketing.
AGM batteries are not flooded wet cell batteries and their real claim to fame is less maintenance and can be used in any position even upside down but cost per pound is double that of flooded cells.
So, given that all flooded batteries are basically the same, it all comes down to cost per pound of battery. That is all you are looking at. The simple reason 6 volt batteries give slightly more output per pound is simple. There are less plastic dividers between cells. 3 in a six volt battery as opposed to 6 cells in a 12 volt at about the same size and it's lead and acid that makes batteries work not the plastic case. In an RV it really doesn't need the battery upside down in normal use and if flooded cells are used and are upside down, the last thing you will be worried about is the state of your battery.
My money always goes for flooded wet cells and their warranty. No battery no matter its designation will endure total discharge frequently. I have often heard that every time you leave your lights on and the battery goes dead, you have shortened battery life by 1/2.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary (ROAMER) if you read the above post.. That, is the type of post I was talking about elsewhere.

Paul:

No, there is a difference between battery types. You may not notice it because you are not looking at the right tings.

I will use a group 24 battery as my example.. A group 24 has (Slightly rounded) 75 amp hours of energy in it.

HOWEVER, Starting batteries are designed to deliver a lot of current, very swiftly, but... Not a large percentage of their total power.. Take them down very far (Say 75%) and you are seriously shortening their life.

DEEP CYCLE are bult differently, they also have slightly different chemistry and the result is you can use roughly half the power in those batteries before serious damage is done.

Personal expierence: Every time I've taken a Starting battery down below 11 volts I've had to replace it, EVERY TIME, in recent years. (Last 20).

I've taken my Interstate Deep Cycle down that far more times than I care to admit and they still pass testing.

That is the test you did not run, A Deep cycle test.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #21

No, I stand by my observations. If you open batteries up and measure plate thickness, PH of electrolyte, type of electrolyte, build quality, etc, there are no differences between deep cycle and starting batteries. Oh I know the common wisdom dictates they are different but... real world observations say otherwise. Also offer evidence other then opinion your observations are correct. Like manufactures literature. Oh yes, flyers will say a starting battery is supposedly different, but when opened they are identical.
AO smith makes water heaters, they used to offer a lifetime heater and a 10 year heater. That said, I called their parts department and asked the differences between their model numbers. AO smith confirmed there part numbers are the same. The lifetime heater costs 2 and 1/2 times what the 10 year model did. Same thing just an extended warranty. I submit that batteries are the same thing with only marketing differences.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #22

Paul,
Would a significant (4+lbs.) scaled weight difference between identical size and group starting and rv/marine deep cycle 12v lead acid batteries make a difference in your opinion?