Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An embarrassing question

One suggestion is to only use NO Anti Bacterial soaps. The main propose of RV toilet chemicals is to break down the solid waste. This is done through bacteria eating away at the solids. If you use anti-bacterial hand and dish soap, you are defeating the actions of the chemicals.

Second purpose is to suppress the odors. Most of the chemicals you buy at an RV store are good, but the suggestion to change the roof vent may help as well. If that doesn't do it, then there may be a crimp in the vent line. Sometimes during construction, the installer will route the toilet vent around an obstruction and this traps the odors and sends them back into the coach.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GEO method works great. no chemical smells. Cheap. 1 Cap of calgone, another cap of detergent (cheaper the better) and cap of bleach. Side benefit is it keeps the walls of tanks cleaner. So tank indicators work. From years of boating and camping i've tried almost every brand of stuff and nothing works as good. ed

Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #17

I tried all sorts of different chems and finally found a product called Happy Campers. This is the best we have used. No odors and we use regular toilet tissue as advertised.
Check it out at www.haappycampersworld.com
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #18

Another suggestion is to not have the exhaust fan running when flushing.This will pull odors from the tank when you flush.Restart the fan after the valve is closed .
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #19

Welcome to the forum. I use cheap laundry detergent and lots of water. Quit useing the chemicals a long time ago when I read about the GEO method. Hated the chemical smell...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chemicals

Ever wonder why a lot of sanitation dump sites are closing down?
Consider the septic tank works on microbial action to slurrie the contents of your tanks.
If you use bleach or other chemicals they will kill this bacteria and defeat the purpose of the microbial action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I can't say how this works in the heat, but the GEO method worked well for us, some Calgon water softener, Dawn dish detergent, and some bleach. Do a search, no chemical smell at all.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #21

Just do as others have said to include:

1) Make sure there is water in the bowl and P traps.
2) Check for clogged vents
3) Check the seal on the toilet itself (the donut)
4) Make sure there is water in the tank.
5) Make sure the fan above the toilet is off as it will such fumes up from below...

To me chemicals to break down waste is a waste. The stuff isn't in there long enough for the chems to make a sigificant reduction in size.

If you still have an odor then perhaps a chemical to control the odor may be worth a try.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Daniel6001 - The first thing to consider when treating black water tanks is that they are NOT a sewer system. They are HOLDING tanks only. Most of us do not leave materials in these holding tanks long enough for any of the bacterial break-down products to even begin to work. So I consider them a waste of money unless I am going to be parked for at least 6 weeks, and if that is the case I'll have dumped my tanks before parking anyway. Don't waste your money.

The worst thing you can do to your black tank is starve it for water. Water is necessary to effect a thorough 'flush' action as the 3" gate valve is opened so that the solids will travel quickly out of the tank and not stick to the walls (as much - it still happens). If you put to little water in the tank you run the real risk of the dreaded 'poop-pyramid', the condition where the wastes and paper have insufficient water to liquefy them, and they begin to stack up like a pyramid under the toilet outlet pipe. If this continues for too long, the pyramid will stop the toilet from draining at all, and then you have a real predicament. Water, water and ,more water is the mantra of successful solids evacuation.

Another problem you may run into is the solids coating the tank walls and causing the tank level meters to malfunction. Simple solution: Flush the tank with either the built-in tank flush or a tank wand available from RV parts stores everywhere as you are dumping, and continue to fill/dump until the water runs clear. Then add Calgon, & laundry detergent as mentioned earlier in this thread and enough water to cover the tank bottom. Remember, water is your friend!

Now as to odor. We stopped using any holding tank chemicals years ago after I adopted the above regimen. At the same time I added the Vac-u-jet RV Roof Plumbing Vent. It functions much more efficiently than the standard vent cap in keeping sewer odors outside where they belong.

Hope this helps.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
Then add Calgon, & laundry detergent as mentioned earlier in this thread and enough water to cover the tank bottom. .
Just so he doesn't go crazy trying to find this... I do believe that the Calgon is a liquid water softener and not a laundry detergent.

On edit: Sorry, I just reread your post and you said Calgon AND detergent. Opps...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
On edit: Sorry, I just reread your post and you said Calgon AND detergent. Opps...Rick
Not to worry RickO.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #25

Along with the excellent advice offered so far, the only long term fix that worked for me seems to be removing those inadequate 'dome' type vent caps on the roof, which seem to trap smells, and replacing them with something that works. Many people use a fancy, rotating device but I prefer a simple plastic 'T' for around $3 at Home Depot. Open vent means a happy camper.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is what I have done and it has always worked for me: I drain the black tank and rinse for two minutes. Close the valve and add water to the tank for 2 minutes. Then add 1/3 bottle of Pine Power from Dollar General. I have never used chemicals in the tanks and this has always worked for me. By the way, I also pour some Pine Power down the sink into the gray water tank. It helps keep that tank clean, odor-free and lubs the valve.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #27

If the tank is properly vented, you won't get any odors inside...don't need any chemicals. I put in a cap of Calgon per tank, that's it.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Happy Camper by a country mile! It dissolves everything! I bought it in their largest container and it works out to only cost about .50 per treatment. They guarantee your complete satisfaction or your money back! You can't go wrong with this. Just Google "happy camper rv tank treatment" or something like that.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote