Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

An Opinion Please?

This picture is of a New Newmar 40ft. RV I am considering purchasing. I'm requesting opinions from you folks of what the black stain is around this rear hatch. It's the hatch around the rear lavatory. I'm also curious as to why the steel along the left side of the roof appears rusted since the right side seems painted and is a shiny black.Picture taken looking forward. You may also notice some of the stain is on the small solar panel as well. Thank you for your time.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

Can't tell if the roof is Fiberglass or Britek (rubber) but in any case this coach has sat outside for a while and the roof requires a good cleaning. I would have the seller clean it up or a deduction for you to clean it.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
That looks like mold to me. You should be able to clean it up some but it may never be perfect. Some of that will depend on the roof material and cleaning products used.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Buy a Winnebago Tour Instead LOL

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Yes, a good cleaning, and then a good roof inspection. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself on the inspection side - hire a qualified individual to do so. (Check caulking is the main item.)

Pretty good odds that this is just cosmetic in nature, and a proper cleaning will get it back to acceptable condition. If caulking is needed, this should be accomplished as part of the PDI before delivery. If as mentioned, the coach has sat for a period of time, insist on new filters and oil change, engine and generator both. Age of battery? Has it been maintained properly? Very easy to lose a new set of batteries by neglect. (And yes, some dealers are famous for charging them up, and sending them out represented to be in good shape...)

If you like the coach, and it inspects well, make a deal and move on down the road of RV'ing fun!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

It's a brand new coach? You wrote "new" so I'm just wondering as some of the responses you're getting make it sound as if it's a used coach.

To me, the black area looks to be where water was pooling after a rain before evaporating as it had nowhere to drain. If the coach had been sitting on the dealer's lot without being moved during several periods of rain, I could imagine it leaving that sort of stain. I have to believe it can be cleaned off. That's just my opinion and it proabably wouldn't bother me ...but I'm sure some will disagree. Have the dealer attempt to clean it properly before purchasing. If it can't be cleaned completely, negotiate a lower price or if it bothers you a lot, don't buy the unit.

The steel being rusted along the side doesn't appear to be a probem. I don't actually believe it's rust and is just discoloration that is cosmetic ...it can't be seen from anybody on the ground so, again, I personally would not be too concerned. The other side may not be "painted a shiny black" but could be a plastic cover hiding wiring and is the reason it appears different from the opposite side. I'm just guessing on that one.

You asked for opinions so I just gave mine ...not that it correct or a popular opinion, just mine.

edited to add: If that in fact is a brand new Dutch Star (you didn't say what kind of Newmar it is), it will be a fiberglass roof. If so, that stain should clean up without a trace.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Can't tell if the roof is Fiberglass or Britek (rubber) but in any case this coach has sat outside for a while and the roof requires a good cleaning. I would have the seller clean it up or a deduction for you to clean it.
BriteTek is NOT "rubber". It is a thermoplastic olefin or TPO. Used on many commercial buildings and has a life of 20 years with a 12 yr. warranty. Had it on our '02 DSDP and after 13 years it still looed very close to new and would have looked better had I taken the time to clean it thoroughly. BriteTek also has a fleece backing and it is quieter than most fiberglass roofs and resists hail damage since it can give when hit.
Anyway, from the picture it looks like the roof needs a good cleaning and nothing more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The stain is where water has evaporated and left crap behind. No problem.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Looks like a bit of dirt to me from rainwater and/or condensation pooling there.

Would not be concerned.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #10

Tend to agree ponded water that has dried up leaving crud. Is the dealership close to a railway line hauling coal ? Lots of black dust flying off railcars.
Get a big discount then scrub it off yourself.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dried up water. Multiple times of pooling/drying. If its brand new, I wouldnt worry, but if its a few years old I would make sure there have never been any roof leaks if it tends to pool there.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pooling

Looks like mildew/black mold from regularly pooling rain/ac condensation in a low spot. Fairly easy to clean, but the 'low spot' would need to be corrected to eliminate pooling from reoccurring. Thats the not-so-easy part. I'd check to see if there is a soft spot in the roof there.

Just my 2 cents…

Good luck!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #13

Folks, thanks much. The fact that it is on the solar panel as well as the roof is my concern. Water does not stand on a solar panel. My thought was the possibility of staining from smoke???? There is absolutely no smell or staining on the inside. The stain is not as bad the further one looks from the hatch, it seems to thin. Perhaps the white roof adds to an illusion? Regardless, I've been around a while, I can't help but wonder if it is soot. A fire during production??
Thanks again.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I was initially drawn to the evaporated water answer, but looking at it closer, I have to agree there is something odd about that roof. The stain on the solar panel and whatever is going on with that trim on the port side is puzzling. I would climb up there and take a few swabs to see how easily it comes off or otherwise get a better idea of what the deal is.

I do not think there is a fire involved. You would know that instantly from inside.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote