Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #1

Analog Tv to Digital in 2002 Newmar product

Although we have a King dome on our 2002 Newmar KountryAire, we find that we now need to replace our analog TV's with digital. Our present TV in the main living area folds up into the ceiling over the front console. The rear one in the bedroom is easier. Anyone come across this problem for the main one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #2

I would think that would be easier to replace than the ones like we had that mount recessed into the cabinet over the dash. Perhaps you post some pics of the tv in the veiwing postion and the travel postion , that would give us a better chance to help.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your TV is still good why do you need to get a Digital TV? I think you would use the tuner that comes with your Direct TV or satelite reciever would you? I do not have satelite on mine I just bought a $50.00 digital converter for my analog TV.

AlanTerry
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I assume you want to replace your tvs with digital, since there is certainly no requirement that you do so. Your analog works fine with the satellite(or park cable, if available) and a digital converter handles OTA digital nicely.

How does the ceiling drop-down mechanism work? Can an LCD tv be mounted on the same mechanism? Perhaps apicture of what you have would inspire some creative ideas from this board. Otherwise, we are just guessing.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

changing analog to digital

Thank you for answering so quickly. Lacking complete knowledge regarding changing our TV's in our motorhome, I simply thought since analogs are now becoming antiques, we would have to change everything to digital.
The tv's are working fine. Finding the right size without completely changing the available area in the overhead has become quite a challenge. We had hoped to install a new one, however the old one is square and the newer ones are rectangle in shape.
Just a question. Do you find that most
RV parks have switched to digital?
Thanks again...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Basic cable is analog which is why the older tv's still work. The park really can't change this. If a park says they have cable then you will be able to use it. The drawback to keeping your old TV is that you miss out on HIGH definition programs that are being broadcast over the air.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
If yo have DirecTv try looking at DIRECTV DIRECT TV Satellite Off Air Tuner AM21 AM 21 | eBay

It an over the air receiver that plus into the DirecTv box and allows you to use your existing TV setup and see over the air TV using the DirecTv receiver. I use this and find, for me, it is much better than an external digital to analog converter box. No need to replace your existing TV.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Changing tvs involves some creative work on the cabinetry and mounts. Each individual RV is different, so advice has to be generic.

I replaced a 24" tube type tv in the front cabinet with a 26" LCD - the physical width was the same because the old tv had speakers on the side the new one had them in the bottom. For our bedroom tv it was a 23' that fit in the same space that had a 21" before. Two years later, I got a new idea about how I could mount the bedroom tv and now have a 26" there as well. You just need to measure out how much space you have and shop around to see what fits.

In my case I was able to cut the cabinets back substantially because the LCDs are much thinner than the old Sony tube type analogs tvs I removed. Getting rid of bulky tv cabinets was as much a plus as the brighter picture and occasional HD shows when using the antenna instead of satellite.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar