Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sound like something missing

possibly a 1 and a comma in front of the estimate?

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
With only 36k miles do you need transmission oil change and new air filter? Transmission fluid and Air filter should last way longer than that. When I was over the road trucker we ran the same air filter for over 100k miles.
These guys are a CAT and Cummins certified repair shop that mostly work on busses (county and private) and over the road trucks. This used to be a Freightliner shop, but when Freightliner moved down the road several years ago, these guys took over. When I told the owner that I wanted a transmission service last year, he told me the exact same thing you are. This year when I asked again, he said it again to me, but has no problem in doing it for me. With that said, I will make sure that whatever the price is, (even if it has a one and a comma in front of it) that it includes a full transmission service.

The coach was just inspected last week for a wholesale warranty plan and passed with zero issues (hard to beleive). I would like to make sure that if anything does go wrong at a later date, in addition to the inspection, that I can document that the vehicle had a full service in hopes a claim will not be rejected.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #17

StevieG why did you need an inspection from WW I have them and no mention of any inspection? Just curious

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
StevieG why did you need an inspection from WW I have them and no mention of any inspection? Just curious

Jim
I thought everyone had to get an inspection, but I guess not... I would assume that since I have an 11 year old coach and getting their diamond coverage (with a $200 deductible), they want to make sure I'm not going to renovate a worn coach on their dollars. It's good business and I actually welcomed the inspection... This way they know I am not trying to "get fire insurance once the home is on fire" and it's like getting a complete check up for free. My thinking on the timing of the inspection was that if the inspector found any issues, I would have my guy fix them when it went in for service...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #19

I also spoke with an Allison service shop for OTR big rigs, and he questioned my doing a complete tranny service at 34000 miles. Do I believe him (a guy who rarely deals with low mileage situations) or Allison. For the cost (~$300) I replaced the filters and fluids myself. Likely the first time it had been done. Allison says 100K OR 48 months, whichever comes first (For my vintage 3000MH anyways). My rig was 8 years old when i got it, and I did the first tranny service. It was a no brainer (for me).

If your allison does NOT have Transynd, the service will be much less expensive, the synthetic fluid is much more expensive. That said, I have read of many people converting over to transynd to get the benefits (I recall that being a 2 step process). Figure out by calling your chassis maker if it isn't obvious what your tranny was filled with new. Would hate to take a factory transynd allison and have a service tech inadvertantly put non synthetic fluid in.

Nice thing is there is no debate, the transynd is superior ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought for anybody still interested, I would let you know how I made out... I brought the mh in about 8:30 am today and at 3 pm I got a call it was done. I got motor oil changed, new fuel filter, a transmission flush, generator oil changed and new fuel filter, complete chassis lube, rear differential checked and topped, belts, hoses, and brakes checked, and lastly a NYS inspection for a grand total of $591 with tax.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #21

Great deal! You did good.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I thought for anybody still interested, I would let you know how I made out... I brought the mh in about 8:30 am today and at 3 pm I got a call it was done. I got motor oil changed, new fuel filter, a transmission flush, generator oil changed and new fuel filter, complete chassis lube, rear differential checked and topped, belts, hoses, and brakes checked, and lastly a NYS inspection for a grand total of $591 with tax.
That is awesome! I still have to assume that did not include replacing transynd in an allison 3000. That is 5 gallons at $45 a gallon. Two filters are $64. So to replace the transynd in your Allison would cost $289 (best case) for parts alone. Maybe your Allison uses non synthetic or holds way less then mine.

Chris
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
That is awesome! I still have to assume that did not include replacing transynd in an allison 3000. That is 5 gallons at $45 a gallon. Two filters are $64. So to replace the transynd in your Allison would cost $289 (best case) for parts alone. Maybe your Allison uses non synthetic or holds way less then mine.

Chris
No, it was not Transynd and I don't think the filters were replaced either. I spoke with him today to see if it would be worth to do it again with Transynd and he said he would do whatever I wanted. The thing is there is 5 gallons of fresh transmission fluid in there now... By the end of the conversation, with the mileage I do annually, we decided to to go with a Transynd service next spring.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad I have a gasser and do my own work.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #25

Sounds like a plan. As long as it didn't have transynd originally then you are good to go.

Chris
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
Glad I have a gasser and do my own work.
Me too. Oil/ filter and grease, under $40, once a year as long as I am under 5,000 miles.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #27

I must be missing something.
Speedco price list
Service includes:
• Check & Fill: tractor lube, hubs, power steering fluid.
• Check Only: coolant level, freezepoint & nitrite levels, engine air filter, cabin air filter,
transmission fluid, differential fluids and tire assessment.
Featuring Rotella T, oil filled to OEM manufacturer capacity. Up to 3 Baldwin oil or fuel filters.
(fuel/water separator, drainable, and CAT-brand filters are an additional charge)
Straight Truck & RVServices
All Standard PM Services included, with exceptions
noted below.
Common Engines: CAT C7, C9 and C10; Cummins ISC, ISL
Heavy Duty PM................................................ ...$249.99
Gear Box Services
Regular Gear Box Change............................$69.99
3 Box Change — Regular..........................$179.99
Synthetic Gear Box Change .......................$145.99
3 Box Change — Synthetic .......................$379.99
APU Service
Customer supplied filters ............................$34.99
Baldwin oil filter and fuel filter...................$49.99
Baldwin oil filter &
Thermo King fuel filter................................$59.99
Miscellaneous Services
& Products • Lucas Oil Products
• Baldwin Engine Air Filters
• Baldwin Coolant Filters & Additives
On-Site Oil Analysis .....................................$17.99
Fuel Filter & Lube ........................................$45.99
Tractor lube and up to 2 Baldwin filters (upcharges apply)
Tractor Lube.............................................. ...$29.99
Trailer Lube.............................................. ....$12.99
LUBE SERVICES
*ENVIRONMENTAL CHARGE EXTRA *PRICES AND OFFERINGS SUBJECT TO CHANGE *PRICING OF SERVICES IS FOR MOST ENGINES

Some of the prices quoted seen way out of line. But if you feel comfortable with it, I guess that's all that counts.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Me too. Oil/ filter and grease, under $40, once a year as long as I am under 5,000 miles.
To me had a gasser the difference in maintenance is well worth the price of the DP but that's just me.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, service