Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Annual Chassis Service Cost

I'm going to get what I think is a full chassis service next week and am wondering if you all think the cost quoted sounds about right and if I've missed anything major... I have a 2003 DP with 36k miles, a 330 Cat, Allison transmission, and 7500 generator.

As part of the service I'm getting an engine oil change, new air filter, fuel filter, a transmission service, generator oil change, new fuel filter for the genny, air dryer service, and complete grease job. Also getting an annual inspection which will verify brakes, tires, and lights. I will DIY a roof sealing around the vents and roof top units, cleaner wax the exterior and clean the roof.

First, if you have a suggestion of any additional areas that should be checked or maintained, please let me know. For what I indicated above, I was told would cost about $550. The best part is that it will be done the same day I bring it there. I've heard Speedcos is very good, but the nearest one is about 5 hours away in Harrisburg, PA and no where near where I will be going any time soon... Wish we had one here in NY.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

I question, for that price, what is actually being done. What is a transmission "service"? That is $300 in fluids and filters alone! Air dryer element is $80 on mine. Both fuel, oil and air filter is about $200 on parts. Add 7-10 gallons of oil and well, you get my point.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Most labor rates are 80-120 per hour. I can't see all of what you listed for 550. Maybe 550 plus parts
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That sounds like either just parts or just labor. As other said, the parts will cost $550.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
My tranny service which included oil change and filters was almost 400. Did my own air dryer at 65. My air filter was 146. Did my own fuel filters at almost a 100.
I had La Mesa RV do and oil change and lube it was 267.
I would wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I give this shop all of my work and they have always been spot on with their upfront estimates and do quality work... but from the sounds of it, either they or I am missing something to be getting what I think I'm getting for the money. I told them what I wanted and they gave me a price... The coach is supposed to go in some time next week. For those interested, I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for your replies.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

I just had Freightliner's 16,000 mile service done, no air cleaner needed, and it was $1200. That also included the genny service. ISL Cummins and Onan 10kw

You can find the 2 page check off list on their web site. In the FCCC operator's and maintenance manuals section, lower right side.

Owner Information
Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just had mine done 2 weeks ago, didn't need any transmission service yet, but everything else including aqua hot annual service from Coach Care Cummins was right at $800.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I give this shop all of my work and they have always been spot on with their upfront estimates and do quality work... but from the sounds of it, either they or I am missing something to be getting what I think I'm getting for the money. I told them what I wanted and they gave me a price... The coach is supposed to go in some time next week. For those interested, I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for your replies.
What breaks the math above is the transmission service. If they actually change out the fluid and filters you are talking about almost 5 gallons of synthetic fluid (at least on mine) and 2 filters. I did my own, but wouldn't be shocked if a service department charged $750 JUST for that.

Soooo, I think there is a disconect in what you THINK is being done, and what actually is. Perhaps transmission service means a sniff or fluid test. That "may" be ok if that is what you asked for. If your Allison is like mine, its every 4 years regardless of miles, which means you should be coming up on your 3rd fluid replacement. Has it been done before, do you have the records? Has it been more then 4 years (very likely I bet)? If so, make sure they are doing what you expect with the fluids you expect. Does your tranny dipstick have the transynd sticker, or do you know otherwise that it came with that? If so, replace it ONLY with transynd (which is expensive).

Great to post here OP, I think that price is too good to be true. Oh, and my prices didn't include genny. Your Onan will need at a minimum an air/oil/fuel filter which is about $50 in parts alone. A few quarts of oil and you are good to go.

Also, do you know the history of your coolant??

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

I use a Caterpillar truck service outfit. Charges are in line with what you quoted.

These are not cheap vehicles!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I just had my Allison 3000 serviced two week ago and that alone was $475 which included chassis lube. Oil changes with filters,oil gas, air are much more. $500 seems very cheap to me.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I use Truck Highway Cat service in Portland to do my coach once a year.

(40' 325 hp cat Alli tran 7.5 onan).... this is what i get for $1,200 ish ($110/hour labor)

• Front bearing resevoirs checked
  • Chassis greased
  • Gen FULL service
  • Batteries checked
  • Tire pressures filled to max
  • Transmission FULL service
  • Engine FULL service
  • All filters changed (lots of them... Hydraulic... radiator... air list goes on and on)
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your Allison is like mine, its every 4 years regardless of miles, which means you should be coming up on your 3rd fluid replacement. Has it been done before, do you have the records? Has it been more then 4 years (very likely I bet)?

The straight up answer is I don't have any records or know the maintenance that was done by the prior owner (I am the second)... I purchased the motorhome in December 2012. Last spring before I took it anywhere I had some front end repair work done, the engine oil and fuel filters changed, and evertything else checked or topped off (including the tranny fluid via the dipstick). I am at a point where I would like to establish a base line for maintenance and want to get as much stuff done as possible or the budget allows. I'll have them check the antifreeze, hoses, and belts while in there, which is part of what they did last year.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #14

With only 36k miles do you need transmission oil change and new air filter? Transmission fluid and Air filter should last way longer than that. When I was over the road trucker we ran the same air filter for over 100k miles.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, service