Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
We have spent an average of $4700 per year on our coach. That does not include fuel, insurance and registration. Last year we spent $18,000 on a total replacement of coolant hoses and total renovation of the chassis among other things. We have replaced all three roof AC units, and may have to replace the one that was replaced in 2006 next year.

USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
We have spent an average of $4700 per year on our coach. That does not include fuel, insurance and registration. Last year we spent $18,000 on a total replacement of coolant hoses and total renovation of the chassis among other things. We have replaced all three roof AC units, and may have to replace the one that was replaced in 2006 next year.

I'm somewhat flummoxed by your average expenditure. Our major expense has been tires but we have had no major failures to cost us $$$. After 5 years full timing we did a major interior remodel which cost us about $15k but that was entirely elective. Our 3 A/C units are OEM and are nearly 12 years old now. Why will you need to replace a unit new in '06.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
We bought our current coach in 2008, from recollection below are the major items we have had to repair/replace

$600 full service at Cummins Shop
$1500, new front tires & front end alignement

$300 TPMS, not the best but is works
$600, new water heater

$500, replaced both TV's with flat screens, not a necessity but nice to have
$250 to change transmission filters and transynd fluid

$2400, new rear tires

$5500, used generator
$3500, replaced Allison transmission ECM
$450, front wheel bearings changed to oil bath

$120, replaced front AC blower motor
$400, new circuit board for EMS

~+$16000 in 6 years or ~$2700 per year not including oil changes and miscellaneous minor stuff. I do all the maintenance myself when possible, which saves $$$. Air filter ~$120, Oil Filter $50, Fuel Filters $60, etc We've averaged about 8K miles per year of use, probably higher then most people.

First time I've compiled this into a list with numbers, bummer, BUT I wouldn't trade it for anything. One of the only things I really enjoy.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
So many variables. The key one, as mentioned earlier, is the condition and maintenance record of the coach you buy. Buy that has not been maintained, or has had a leak, or had known manufacturer defects to start with - and you can drop some serious money on setting things right.

Buying a good quality rig to start with, that has been well maintained (With documentation of this maintenance. Sorry, this is the old X-Files in my opinion - Trust No One! Receipts, receipts, receipts.... If it ain't documented, it did not happen, is how you should look at things...).

I also second the opinions that man of the very ultra high end coaches, have more 'goodies' that can go wrong. So buying as nice as coach as you like, with solid chassis and running gear and superior house construction, but possibly with less 'goodies' - can lower your ongoing costs of maintenance ahead. That being said, RV'ing, especially Full Time RV'ing - is about 'living with a rig' too. So get what you want - including 'all of the goodies you like'! Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared to spend a bit more from time to time on repairs and replacements. It's more then just costs, its about quality of enjoyment too.

One nice thing about the older, say pre 2004, is that they had less electronics and smog stuff on the engines. Simpler, and tried and true technology that had decades of refinement and improvement. The rapid changes of smog regulations from say 2005 and on, added much complexity, and never let enough time go by to allow refinements of the newer 'stuff' added to the engines. I feel that can sometimes be reflected in the ownership experience.

I'm also in the camp of being 'prepared' for not 'if', but 'when', something will pop up that needs unscheduled attention. Some do this by taking their chances on having a warranty company pay for this via insurance. Others self insure. We happen to self insure, and I suspect once you get below 2000 model year, warranty insurance is less available and more costly. Pay me now, and maybe get future items fixed. Or save and pay as you go - all about what you feel comfortable with...

Best of luck to you, and all,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Well where do I start!! First off we started out looking for an older Rv because we simply could not afford a newer one let alone a huge payment every month.

We have owned our 93 navigator for about 3 years actually this month. It was in need of cosmetic repairs.

We have spent in the last three years

new front tires 850.00
replace all suspension bushings 2,200.00
new air bags installed 1900.00
changed all interior lighting to led about 350.00
Total remodel interior, exterior paint 10,000.00 We did interior a friend did the paint.

still needs a few house items repaired which I will do. So, you can see depending on what you want and what you start with makes a big difference. I also have done things that no one else probably would do but that's just me. I like to make things look and act newer than they are.

one thing I forgot to mention, the previous owners had service records that showed what work had been done even though the rig was older, hope that helps.
2001 NRV, Islander Dynomax chassis
330 turbo cummins/allison
07 HHR
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
These are some really great responses! It's wonderful to see actual numbers of what people have spent on their coaches. There have been some great points to consider here, too, many with a lot of detail.

Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote