Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, we bought a 2000 DP last April from Camping World, and at time of sale an extended service contract through Good Sam. The 3 yr. contract cost $4,800, which is a lot; however, to date the ESC has paid-out just over $4,000 for covered repairs to the MH. Just the rearview mirrors (adjustment motors quit) were $1,300 ea. Remote door lock unit+key fobs were $750. We still have 2 years to go, you get the point.
Our thinking was/is, if things broke or failed, they would do so within the first 3 years of traveling since the MH had been unused and in inside storage for 6 years.
We had all maintenance service performed at purchase to establish a baseline. That was nearly $1,200.

As for filters-fuel,oil, air, hyd. system, Allison trans, etc. Check out Amazon.com while comparing prices.
Thanks Top, good advice. I can see owning an RV without an ESC is probably not a good idea.

Garry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Ok, I'll add my two cents here...

If you are just talking about "annual routine maintenance" on a DP and not repairs or loan payments...

...others may pay less or more depending upon where you purchase them.

So, I hope this gives you at least a ball park figure..

Ron
Thanks Ron, BETTER THAN A BALL PARK FIGURE, this was precisely what I needed to fill in my budget spreadsheet. And I have learned so much from all the posts. I have a better idea of routine and non-routine items that I must plan for.

Now if I could just get the wife (is that what DW stands for?) to put as much emphasis on the chassis as she does the cabinets, I'd be set to make a decision on which coach we want.

Garry
Stuck N Houston
(but not for long!!!)

Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm just gonna include my true maintenance. I am not going to count money spent on upgrades or building the basic vehicle.
Mine gets a engine oil change once a year
Total $112.49 ($100 for synthetic Rotella & filter is $12.49 Napa #1607 )
in 3 years I think I replaced the fuel filter 2 times once when bought and once a year later. $19.49 each Napa #3472
I bought it in late 2010
I made 3 trips in 2011,12,13 and just now I just had to buy a set of start batteries 2 @ $119 each $240

So for 3 years of use I have
$240 Batteries
$449.96 4 oil changes
$ 38.98 2 fuel filters
Total $728.94 for 3 year total

I should add there have been NO breakdowns or repairs.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
First off go to rv.org and buy their product

Every time you post you post that .... do you work for them? Or get a cut of the money? You just seem to push it every time you post.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
Just a few more thoughts on someone the costs of service and repairs.

On my first coach, a '05 model, with only 24K miles, I decided not to buy an extended warranty policy. I made a decision to take a chance and hoped that the repairs would not exceed the cost of the warranty.

After replacing the dash A/C, compressor, etc., that amounted itself was almost the cost of the extended warranty. Then I had to repair the generator after the bushings wore into the rotter (I think that is what it is called), that put me way over the cost of the warranty. Then the generator broke down another time and required replacement. That alone was more than the cost of the extended warranty. All of those repairs would have been covered repairs.

Now I ended up replacing the RV..... I am now buying new and purchasing an extended warranty that will cover 7 years, 75K miles. One cost, ~ $3K, no major concerns for 7 years. I like that.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Several have indicated they change the oil themselves. My next question is how do you capture all that oil. Looks like we are talking about maybe as much as 8 gallons!!!!!!! I'm a DIYer but, you have to have the tools and the facilities... like one heck of a big drip pan.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2fender View Post
Several have indicated they change the oil themselves. My next question is how do you capture all that oil. Looks like we are talking about maybe as much as 8 gallons!!!!!!! I'm a DIYer but, you have to have the tools and the facilities... like one heck of a big drip pan.
I put a Fumoto valve with the nipple on my oil pan & put a tube on the nipple & run it to a 5 gal container. My engine take a total of 10 gal so I need 2 containers. The filter holds almost a gal so I have to catch about 9 gal. After I fill with fresh oil, I pour the old oil in the empty 2 1/2 gal oil containers & take to Walmart.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Garry,

We've learned a ton of great tips here on IRV2 and our camping buddy "FIREUP" has been a huge help in advising on the more technical aspects of motor-home maintenance. He'd suggested a large pan placed atop a furniture dolly to catch the spent oil, Well, I had just recently purchased the dolly and simply stumbled upon this alternate solution for a few bucks more, eliminating the additional height of the furniture dolly, I can now roll the giant tank under the pan and dump our oil, his oil, both our generators oil, trans fluid and a few of our other camping buddies before I have to take it to reclamation! Lol!

58-quart capacity for $77.99...works awesome!

RhinoGear® - Oil Drain Pan Part # 42008

RhinoGear® 42008 - Oil Drain Pan | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Hope this helps gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2fender View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02115.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	57589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02113.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	57590  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I put a Fumoto valve with the nipple on my oil pan & put a tube on the nipple & run it to a 5 gal container. My engine take a total of 10 gal so I need 2 containers. The filter holds almost a gal so I have to catch about 9 gal. After I fill with fresh oil, I pour the old oil in the empty 2 1/2 gal oil containers & take to Walmart.
X2 on that. I only have about 18 quarts of oil in mine though.
I do exactly the same putting in in the empty bottles. That little Fumoto valve is better than sliced bread.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #24

The question you need to ask yourself is how much maintenance you wish to do yourself. most of the chassis, engine, transmission maintenance is similar to any car, except there is more fluid to deal with. The wife and I do all of our maintenance ourselves, including engine transmission, generator, chassis lube, etc. We also do as much of the unexpected maintenance that we can. Over several years of record keeping, we find the average maintenance cost when factored over several years comes close to what we spend on any of our other vehicles. The difference is in the frequency of when these changes take place, much less frequently on the coach than on the cars.

Now, as to upgrades, we have modified almost everything on our current coach to fit our changing needs. We've changed the flooring, removed couches, installed euro loungers, a credenza, several flat screen TVs, a dish washer, removed the booth dinette and installed an oak circular table and chairs,etc. To give you an example of the cost differences, an RV dealership wanted $3500 labor to remove the booth dinette and install our already purchased oak table and chairs. We did the work ourselves in about 3 hours. Hope this helps some.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have my annual maintenance done at Speedco. Costs me about $350 including generator service.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
First off go to rv.org and buy their product. It will be the best money you spend on your coach!!!!!! Then go to oodle.com and plug in what you're looking for check the right boxes and it will send you daily updates. Consider the advantages of buying used vs buying new. But most off all spend time to educate yourself and don't fall in love with the first coach you look at.

You got me wondering about what I was spending. I just checked and with repairs, replacements,parts, and service over the last 4 yrs I've spent about $10,670/yr. I bought a used 2002 coach and have had to replace tires, radiator, starter, inverter, batteries, annual engine service, annual maintenance on coach components, service on generator, and misc parts. I'm sure there's a lot of folks out there that spend a lot less and some may spend more. If you look all our full time expenses just related to the coach and not including the toad it works out to $23k/yr. Note this does not include cost of that your normally have for just living like food, dentist, docs, alcohol, meals out, entertainment etc. As an example of maintenance cost I just had annual service done on the engine at Rocky Mnt Cummins in Vegas and 150 hr generator service with parts replacement it cost $883.
So bottom line to live full time it's running us about $24k a year. It can be done cheaper for sure but if you're in the travel mode like we are, 2 weeks someplace is a long time, I have found these cost to be representative.

If I haven't scared you off and you're still interested feel free to go check our out blog. It pretty much documents our life on the road these last 4 yrs.
http://pamperedpenguin.blogspot.com/
I think we bought the same coach and are living in a parallel universe.

We bought a 02 about a year and a half ago. Everything checked out fine. We full time and the coach had 56k on it when we bought it. In the first year we had a ton of issues and had to fix or replace the rear AC, new inverter, fix the hurricane heater, fix leaks, replace slide covers and several other things that seemed to nickel and dime us like crazy. We probably spent 20k or so. Now we have a blown gasket on the number three cylinder and that is going to cost around 1200.00. I do a lot of the repairs myself, but it has still cost us a bunch. Every coach is different. Some people roll with seemingly no issues at all. I hope we have shaken most of them to the surface.

Just be prepared for the unexpected.
JJ

Tags
maintenance