Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
How do you figure that?
Pretty easy to figure out. What does your owner's manual say? Better yet take your engine serial number and go to Cummins Quick Serve.
You should find the first oil change is at about 7500 miles then it jumps to 15,000 or annually. Now the OP said at the beginning of his post "We have been having our maintenance on the engine, transmission and (freightliner) chassis done by 5-star in Hartford, Ct."
So I would figure he has had at least the first scheduled maintenance.
Now oscarvan, you posted that you carry extra diesel fuel incase you get bad fuel on the road. How do you figure that is going to help? Dumping 5-10-15 gal of diesel in your tank is not going to fix a bad fuel situation. You would still need to deal with all the bad fuel in the tank. About the only way to do that if a couple filter changes don't fix it is to look for someone who does Fuel Scrubbing. They pump the fuel out filter it and put it back.
Are you using it to install new filters? You know you can install the filters dry then cykle the key a couple of times and fill the filter. This ensures you get no unfiltered fuel on the engin side of the filter.

Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it was out of warranty I would agree just do when you get back from your trip. Being in warranty I would stick to the schedule by either doing early or on the road.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #17

I believe there is a freightliner service center in Burlington or Mount Vernon Wa, which would put you an hour from the border. Definitely one in Pacific Wa. You definatly want to take extra filters and belts. Enjoy!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I would not violate a warranty requirement. If that means doing it early, so be it. If I would rather do it along the way I would look for a Cummins facility that services RVs ... in the Pacific NW I have used Cummins NW in Tacoma for a major repair while traveling. There were quite helpful throughout the ordeal.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
We have been having our maintenance on the engine, transmission and (freightliner) chassis done by 5-star in Hartford, Ct. We have been very happy with them. Our coach is due to be serviced in September, however, we leave for a very long trip across the country thru Canada and Alaska which will last through that scheduled maintenance period.

Here's the question: would you schedule it approximately 3 months early or have it done somewhere in the Pacific Northwest while traveling?

If yes, do you have a Freightliner service facility you would recommend which you feel is exceptional in coastal Washington or Oregon?

Thanks in advance! -Paul

If you are HAPPY with your current service company in CT
then I would have it done before your long trip.
This allows you more time to enjoy your trip.
Many people can provide shops they like but you may not.
It is always better earlier then waiting
I always like to perform service before all long trips
Even if the service is thousands of miles early
It will never cause a problem to have it done earlier
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Now oscarvan, you posted that you carry extra diesel fuel incase you get bad fuel on the road. How do you figure that is going to help? Dumping 5-10-15 gal of diesel in your tank is not going to fix a bad fuel situation. You would still need to deal with all the bad fuel in the tank. About the only way to do that if a couple filter changes don't fix it is to look for someone who does Fuel Scrubbing. They pump the fuel out filter it and put it back.
Are you using it to install new filters? You know you can install the filters dry then cykle the key a couple of times and fill the filter. This ensures you get no unfiltered fuel on the engin side of the filter.

Bill
I am not carrying extra fuel, never said that. I carry extra filters, more precisely an extra secondary filter and a primary filter/water separator. Hope is that most of the crap/water in the fuel batch ends up in and clogs the filters, and that I can remove it by draining the bowl on the water separator a few times and then changing filters and cleaning water separator. If the crap is evenly suspended in ALL of the fuel I am SOL and it all has to come out, this is unlikely.

Many years of boating with diesel engines. I have replaced filters at 3am on open water because some crud broke loose. Got us going again.

First I heard of your "bleed a diesel with the key" technique. Not sure that's going to work. To begin with, I'm not sure I have an electrical fuel pump, DTNA doesn't mention it for my chassis. Cummins has the pump on the engine, but doesn't mention a lift pump. Since the tank is located UP there it's possible there is only one pump for the entire system. Then again, I'm not 100% convinced about the completeness of the documentation. Doesn't matter though, two filters/separator worth of air through the injection pump can do some major damage to injectors. How about I use the vent and primer pump as described in section 47-02 of the manual for the primary filter/water separator? The secondary filter comes (by design) with a plastic plug in the center hole so you can fill it with fuel on the dirty side (Even says so on the instructions!!). This way the amount of air going downstream will be minimal. Snazzy eh? Maybe I've done this....

But, your "guidance" is actually giving me the idea that I DO need to bring about two quarts of clean diesel for the filter. Thank you.

BTW, I've done a writeup on the process, and my install of a shutoff valve on my blog for those that are interested....

https://dragonship.blog/fuel-filters-replacement/
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oscarvan, Well it shure looks like it in reply #4
"Also, you may want to carry some spares. Belt, fluids, filters (fuel in case you get bad fuel, oil in case you want to have it changed away from a FL or Cummins dealer) and generator."
Also if you have a boating background you know the importance of adding a biocide to your fuel periodically and especially before long storage periods.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Oscarvan, Well it shure looks like it in reply #4
"Also, you may want to carry some spares. Belt, fluids, filters (fuel in case you get bad fuel, oil in case you want to have it changed away from a FL or Cummins dealer) and generator."
Also if you have a boating background you know the importance of adding a biocide to your fuel periodically and especially before long storage periods.
Bill
OK, that's a language issue. The text in parentheses specifies WHICH filters to bring. However the "and generator" should have been inside the parentheses. That's my bad. Too late to edit.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #23

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

We have decided to have the maintenance done before we leave, on May 20.
We will be carrying spare oil and fuel filters as well as a spare serpentine belt. They are vacuum sealed and stored inside the coach. -Paul

Tags
maintenance