Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

Annual Maintenance interval

We have been having our maintenance on the engine, transmission and (freightliner) chassis done by 5-star in Hartford, Ct. We have been very happy with them. Our coach is due to be serviced in September, however, we leave for a very long trip across the country thru Canada and Alaska which will last through that scheduled maintenance period.

Here's the question: would you schedule it approximately 3 months early or have it done somewhere in the Pacific Northwest while traveling?

If yes, do you have a Freightliner service facility you would recommend which you feel is exceptional in coastal Washington or Oregon?

Thanks in advance! -Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

How long after the normal 1 year time frame will it be when you return? What about mileage accumulated for that trip? Unless there is a warranty drop dead issue I wouldn't be hesitant to wait to return providing everything is up to snuff on departure. If your going to be several months and several thousand mile beyond the normal servicing intervals, then service early. With a 2017 you really don't have an established servicing interval anyway.

Personally I hate to chase down a servicing facility while on a trip since I don't know the quality of their work. Our trips last 2-4 months. I also do "annuals" but not religiously. If I slide a few months no big deal as long as mileages are OK.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Do it when you get back. It doesn't turn into a pumpkin at the 366th day. Also, if you're running it as you indicate, it'll be in way better shape than if it was sitting in a storage lot for 11 months a year. The "annual" business in the recommendations is more for coaches that sit still for long times.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Go to the FCCC website and find yourself a list of Oasis dealers along the way. If you're not familiar, these are especially RV oriented FL dealers.

I'd start with fresh oil and a lube. The rest of it all is a lot less time/miles critical.

Depending on how many miles you're going to run there may be some stuff you want to do along the way. I change oil every 10,000 miles (which is about what I do a year) as I find the 15,000 mile interval a little long and I lube the chassis at the same time. If you're going to be visiting desert areas and drive in dusty conditions you may want a fresh air cleaner and a cleaning of the Charge Air Cooler (Not hard and important) when you come out of there.

Also, you may want to carry some spares. Belt, fluids, filters (fuel in case you get bad fuel, oil in case you want to have it changed away from a FL or Cummins dealer) and generator.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would likely just wait to after the trip... we do annual service in March. Or January. Or may. Or...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
We have been having our maintenance on the engine, transmission and (freightliner) chassis done by 5-star in Hartford, Ct. We have been very happy with them. Our coach is due to be serviced in September, however, we leave for a very long trip across the country thru Canada and Alaska which will last through that scheduled maintenance period.

Here's the question: would you schedule it approximately 3 months early or have it done somewhere in the Pacific Northwest while traveling?

If yes, do you have a Freightliner service facility you would recommend which you feel is exceptional in coastal Washington or Oregon?

Thanks in advance! -Paul

Speedco in Aurora, Oregaon.

No appointment required.

Complete coach and generator service for a very sweet price.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would likely just wait to after the trip... we do annual service in March. Or January. Or may. Or...
Yep. We're in Alaska in the summer and the southwest in the winter and the miles and time just doesn't follow their book schedule. I do all my own maintenance and we have 98,000+miles on the coach without a major issue that could reflect back to maintenance scheduling.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Thanks in advance! -Paul
I think you are good till you get back. You have already had your initial service (mainely a warranty issue) You are good to 15,000 miles.
Yes a couple spare fuel filters is a good idea but you don't need more than a quart or so of oil (depends on your consumption between oil changes). I have carried the same 2 quarts for a couple of years and not needed them. Yes they sell oil in every state and Canada. Let us know how the trip goes.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
You have already had your initial service (mainely a warranty issue)
How do you figure that?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 02-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would just wait until you get back. If you're typical, you're servicing by time and not mileage (not enough mileage). I'm not a fan of doing unnecessary mechanical work on a trip. If something goes wrong during the service, you could put your trip in jeopardy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #11

I would be following the written schedule in the owner's manual until the powertrain warranty expired. The forum is a good place for free advice but no one's going to send money if you have an issue and the manufacturer declines to cover it.

Service exceeding the stated requirements is not a cause to void coverage. The reverse is also true.

To the specifics of your question, I'd prefer to waste a little money and do service from the comfort of home using a known reliable provider to having it done on the road. Service when you're living in the coach is a nuisance.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I would be following the written schedule in the owner's manual until the powertrain warranty expired.
I'd be following it because it makes it last a lot longer and break a lot less.....
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks in advance! -Paul

If you are happy and trust your mechanic, then ask for their advice. They will probably know your MH mechanics and how it is being treated/used better than any one else.
Another suggestion is to send in a oil analysis (with explaination to extend service one time) a couple of weeks/month before you leave to see what they recommend for the next service date.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If you schedule it three months early, you've effectively changed your service date on all future maintenance, or you wait 15 months next time to get back to your current service schedule. Just something to think about.

Personally, I would move up the service before the long trip, just to know that it's done.

Tags
maintenance