Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

another battery question!!

My son has a 1992 MH, the previous owner changed the 2 house batteries to 12v. My son needs to replace the house batteries, I've told him everything I read says to stay with 6v for house batteries. When he switches back to 6v is there anything special he has to do? Or is it just a matter of replacing with new 6v, connecting the batteries and he's good to go. Thank you!!
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome.

It's really important to understand what you're doing when changing systems from 12v to 6v or vice versa. It's not really complicated but one needs to understand series vs parallel circuits or at the very least have a good wiring diagram to work from. Be aware that it will probably require twice as many 6v batteries to exceed the capacity of the current 12v system so IMHO it's not something to be done without first understanding all of the ramifications.

I'm sure we'll have some experts with helpful suggestions along shortly.

Best of luck.

Rickl

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
When the other owner put the 2 12V batterys in they wired them to stay at 12V at the end which is Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg = 12V

When you wire the 6V batterys they need to be Pos of the first battery to the Pos wire on the coach the neg on the first battery goes to the Pos on the second battery and the Neg to the Neg wire on the coach which will = 12V in the end
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

"Google" how wire 6 volt batteries and you'll get a diagram showing you how to wire 2 or 4. RVSolarElectric.com has good information that your asking
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
There's a lot of posts on here about battery change out. Try using the search feature. I considered going from 2-6v to 2-12v and wiring them to end up with 12v. Seems I remember that the 6v batteries are true to the core deep cycle batteries and withstand discharge re-charge better than even the marine grade 12v. Made sense, since 6v are routinely used in golf carts and those things see heavy discharge and re-charge. I don't know that any 12v compares to a good ole trojan 6v for durability.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree X2 on the trojan
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you buy good quality deep cycle 12v's, e.g. a Trojan, there is no particular advantage to going back to 6v. However, good 12v deep cycles are typically expensive, so it might be cheaper to get the 6v golf cart deep cycles - they are made and sold in higher volumes, so the price is usually lower.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

I would go with two 6volts. Sam's Club has good price and selection where I live. Changed the house batteries on the boat to two 6volts in series as well. Used two 12 volts in parallel to start the two 3208 cats. Batteries were in a tough place to get to so did this to get rid of two 8Ds.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery