Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
another battery question

I think I know this one but here goes. Today, I took in my coach to have the Workhorse recall brake stuff done. The shop got it at 8 a.m. and I picked it up about 4:45 p.m. They bring it around for me and leave it running, I get in and off I go. All is good. I get home and back onto the parking pad. I open the door and the stairs don't come down. So, I open the control panel door and everything is dead. Ok, so I push the battery disconnect switch to "use"--nothing. I turn on the ignition, try the switch again and everything fires up. I level the coach, go to the door and it is dead again. I plug in the coach (I keep it plugged in) and everything is on again. We have owned this coach for 19 months and first time anything like this happened.

My theory: It sat in the service bay for about 7 hours. LP detector and fridge were running. It has never set that long without the engine running or being on shore power which hid the problem: the house batteries are dead or pretty close. These may be original equipment (rig is a 2003).

Does this sound reasonable? I can wire a house but 12v drives me crazy.

richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
It does sound like the house batteries were drained. It may be a good time to atleast have the batteries tested. If they are orig 8 years is good. On mine if the batteries are a bit low, the steps will not operate properly, can't start the gen etc.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my coach, the steps are powered off the coach battery not the house batteries.

USMC (Retired) Not as lean - Not as mean - but still a Marine!

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Give the batteries a load test. You will need to test each battery independent of the other. If the batteries are 03, then you have done well, or you don't dry camp. In any event, get ready to replace them. I am betting that they will fail the test. Good luck.
2002 Monaco Diplomat Triple Slide PST
2011 Buick Enclave(AWD);88 Ford Must. GT(Stick)
1970 Home built 11.5 ft Slide-in Cabover
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
A friend of mine had this problem continuously with a pusher when not connected to shore power. Finally figured out that with the refrigerator setting on automatic, it will choose 120-volt power, even if that power is coming from the inverter. As long as he remembered to change the refrigerator setting to gas when not connected to shore power, he never had that problem again. Hope this helps.
jim1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A good bank of batteries, (even if you only have about 200 Ah available) should not be drained by a ref. and safety detectors in an 8 hour run. Do as suggested and find out the condition of the battery bank and go from there.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
I have to say that if you got 8 years out of your batteries, especially if the were original from manufacturer, you should consider yourself lucky. I've never gotten more than a couple of years from house batteries and I keep on a shore line when home. Batteries, no matter what kind or who they were made by, aren't made to last forever.
Joe and Penny
Mischief and Spanky (Shih Tzus)
2013 Crossroads Z-1 29' Travel Trailer
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
OK, I went out this am to get the batteries for a load test and found what I think is my problem. One of the positive cable connectors is gone, dissolved I think. Just a bunch of blue-green fuzz at the end of the cable. I have a photo but I haven't used photobucket for so long..... Thanks for your posts.
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
The Fuzz works on the highway, stops law breakers if caught.

But the kind you mention, just won't make the grade.

Those 8 year old batteries "just might" last a bit longer.

Flipping my quarter now to see how you come out.
1998 Dodge Dually 4x4 CTD
1978 Avion 34' TT
1998 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi richvkansas,
Once you get the cable replaced and all connections cleaned, consider having the chassis and house batteries tested. Many coaches have the door steps powered from the chassis battery(s).

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote