Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I haven't used the Dap. If that is gypsum based, avoid it.

Thanks Ernie! I'll check that out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks Ernie! I'll check that out!
I have been following this as others have. I haven't been able to find the answer in all my readings for this:
What is the greatest offset - meaning mm you can have before the slide goes out of whack? I guess my real question is, can I be off by as much as 3-5 mm high or low when installing new flooring?

Thanks, Bob

PS. I do want to apologize if I stole this thread, but I thought many other people have been following.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
as long as you don't exceed the height of original material, you should be fine.
Since these are movable structures, sometimes they break, get out of alignment, etc.
The only coaches that don't have issues with slides are non-slide coaches.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am watching this thread eagerly as well. I am still deciding whether I want to do vinyl plank flooring or just re-carpet.

Joe, TAKE PICTURES!!!! PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!! There are never too many pictures when you are doing a job like that....

My carpet is the last major renovation in my coach, it is 11 year old nasty forest green sun damaged carpet original to the coach. I can't wait to get it replaced.

Ernie, I so wish I had the funds to bring to you and say 'here ya go' but I'll have to re-do it myself with help from others (Whem2fish..where ya at?.....lol) and also I have to relocate my furnace vent that got stopped and lost when I put the new sofa in and took out the j lounge sofa.

Also, I have a gasser and I want to really cut down on that engine noise and heat if possible so I wanna get some of that insulating material and wrap the doghouse before the new carpet goes there. Also, I think the ONLY thing to put down is carpet on the doghouse on the gasser that will look good, it's too irregular in shape so I think the best thing would be carpet from the front chairs forward.......I think.....

This is very interesting, but again, JOE - PLEASE POST PICTURES OF EVERY STEP.....

Thanks guys so much!!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #47
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've been working on getting the ceramic tile up today. Just about through. It has really been a job!

When I finish I'll post a lot of pictures. Hopefully it will help someone else!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #48

The last coach that was here was a Winni Adventurer- gas. The dog house was removed and new high temp insulation was added. That was some expensive material, but well worth it. We also used, instead of pad some 1/2 inch insulation I had. That material had a mylar face and Styrofoam core. I put the carpet right over that. Carpet padding would have been a little softer, but I think its' better not to sweat.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Carpet padding would have been a little softer, but I think its' better not to sweat.
What does that mean? Does padding make it sweat? Is a MH different than a fiver?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #50

no- the heat coming from the engine and thru the floor is what we are after to reduce. The client expressed concern about the heat going down the road. If you don't have a motor home, you don't have to worry
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've been working on getting the ceramic tile up today. Just about through. It has really been a job!

When I finish I'll post a lot of pictures. Hopefully it will help someone else!
Joe it would be great if you'd post them as you go, but I understand waiting till its over. Just anxious to see them.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am so glad to have found this thread. The floor on our rig which we take delivery of on Monday needs new floors. Previous owner took out the carpet and put in wood looking floors which are coming up. Also removed the carpet under the slide and the floors are all scratched up and damaged from no protection. Once we get it we're going to have to rake everything out, pull IP what ever was put in and make whatever repairs to the subfloor and put in something that will look nice and handle dogs.

Any suggestions o?n products to use, type of floor and assistance would be wonderful. Never sis any sort of DYI on a MH.

I hope we are not opening a can of worms but my main goal is to get it done right and fix the issue with the slide scratching JP the floor. Guess putting carpet back down will be the way to go with the right scrap. Any suggestions ther

Thank you for this thread and any help.

Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg
The last coach that was here was a Winni Adventurer- gas. The dog house was removed and new high temp insulation was added. That was some expensive material, but well worth it. We also used, instead of pad some 1/2 inch insulation I had. That material had a mylar face and Styrofoam core. I put the carpet right over that. Carpet padding would have been a little softer, but I think its' better not to sweat.
Hi Ernie, I just removed the old carpet in an 84 Vogue II diesel and found there was some sort of rubber heat shield over the carpet pad, around the engine area only, which I want to replace.

What would you recommend in that application? I sent you an email about CDX vs Ply as well because I have some water damaged plywood I'm replacing.

I'm still in the demo and repair mode, but I am also installing engineered wood and will be gluing it down after reading several of your inspiring posts.

Thanks for all your assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2440891663.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	70872   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2140137488.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	70873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3945628686.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	70874  
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pictures are worth 10,000 words. Thanks for posting pics.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #55
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Because of my tile installer's reluctance concerning the Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, I have decided to use 1/4" Luan over the OSB. It will be glued and screwed securely.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #56

Buy a case of construction adhesive. the seams and countersunk screw heads still need to be filled.
I believe the rubber product was mostly for sound. If you can get it up- trash it. The sound coming up from there is quite inaudible from close to 40 feet away.
Then urethane all your wood. I put the urethane on the back of the boards. Less mess with my old crooked fingers