Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

One side of the bed base was making an indention in the old carpet so we plan to use a piece of thin plastic to place under that corner when moving the slide in and out.
Joe,

When you do the bedroom, I discovered when I removed the bed pedestal, that there were two wide unprotected boards on the underside of the pedestal which slide on the rollers that are attached to the floor at each corner of the bed facing the dresser. I also found flakes of wood that had been shaved off of those boards due to wear. As a result, it made grooves into the boards and caused the slide to be lower to the floor than what it was supposed to be. I chose to screw on a thin strip of Plexiglas to the face of the boards for protection. A thin strip of SS would probably be more durable. If the Plexiglas starts to deteriorate, I will remove the pedestal and redo it with SS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #86
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

When you do the bedroom, I discovered when I removed the bed pedestal, that there were two wide unprotected boards on the underside of the pedestal which slide on the rollers that are attached to the floor at each corner of the bed facing the dresser. I also found flakes of wood that had been shaved off of those boards due to wear. As a result, it made grooves into the boards and caused the slide to be lower to the floor than what it was supposed to be. I chose to screw on a thin strip of Plexiglas to the face of the boards for protection. A thin strip of SS would probably be more durable. If the Plexiglas starts to deteriorate, I will remove the pedestal and redo it with SS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, are you talking about the base of the bed? I'm a little confused!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Richard, are you talking about the base of the bed? I'm a little confused!
Joe,

Yes. If one side is lower than the other that's exactly what I found when I removed the bed base/Pedestal. One board had gauges in it whereas the other was OK. I installed the Plexiglas on both boards.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #88

Here is my question. We have carpet and vinyl tile in the front half of the MH. If I replace the tile how does one go about replacing the tile under the slide outs? Also what about carpeting under the slide outs?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #89
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymaster View Post
Here is my question. We have carpet and vinyl tile in the front half of the MH. If I replace the tile how does one go about replacing the tile under the slide outs? Also what about carpeting under the slide outs?
My MH has three slides. The long slide, with the dinette table & chairs and the couch, has carpet on the slide. There was carpet on the floor in front of this slide which stopped at the front edge of the slide.

The kitchen slide had ceramic tile in front of it which extended about 2-3 inches underneath the cabinets. I had to chisel out all that tile and yes, it was a pain to get it out from under the cabinets! After I broke it loose from the floor I had to go outside under the slide, pull the rubber seal away from the bottom of the slide, and use a metal bar to reach under the cabinets and push the broken tile out the front! You say you have vinyl tile in the front so you have a different problem. I don't know how you will be able to get the vinyl tile from under the kitchen slide.

The bedroom had carpet that looked like it may have gone all the way under the bed. I just took a razor knife and cut the carpet as far as I could reach under the base of the bed. I cut the Luan board to extend maybe 1/2 inch under the base of the bed and the installer extended the tile that far, so you don't see any of the old carpet still under the bed.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks great! Nice job. You will really appreciate it on your first trip. I know we did.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #91
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Nafco AMGT42 premium vinyl 12" tiles
Joe
My bride has informed me that this is in our immediate future for our coach.

1. If I understand it correctly, the installer glued each tile to the underlayment?

2. Any particular reason that you went with this type of 12x12 vinyl tile squares vs engineered wood or vinyl planks?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #92
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Joe
My bride has informed me that this is in our immediate future for our coach.

1. If I understand it correctly, the installer glued each tile to the underlayment?

2. Any particular reason that you went with this type of 12x12 vinyl tile squares vs engineered wood or vinyl planks?

Yes, each tile is glued to the Luan board. We just liked the looks of the vinyl squares laid in a diamond pattern. No other reasons.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #93

National RV Owners Club
Smile

Mr Joe,

Wow what a difference.
I know the Bride will love how easy it is to clean up after some thing gets spilled on it or tracked in on it

Great Job .
Old 09-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #94
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor It View Post
Mr Joe,

Wow what a difference.
I know the Bride will love how easy it is to clean up after some thing gets spilled on it or tracked in on it

Great Job .

Thanks! We're going to replace the rest of the carpet (slide, cockpit, base of bed, etc.) soon. I think that's gonna make a huge difference too, since it will match the tile.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #95
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Yes, each tile is glued to the Luan board. We just liked the looks of the vinyl squares laid in a diamond pattern. No other reasons.
Thank you.

The installer did a very nice job with the excellent choice of product made by you and your bride. You should also be commended for your perseverance in the art of staple pulling.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #96

Quote:
OK, got 'er done! The DW has been wanting to remove the carpet and ceramic tile and put down a premium vinyl tile. Below is a blow-by-blow of the process.
Looks great. Thanks for asking all that you did and thanks for sharing the process. I am thinking my job may not have the long term results I want and will have to revisit this thread when I go back to re-do it. :bang head:

We'll see!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #97

Did you have the vinyl tile grouted? I'm curious how that's holding up.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #98
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDisco View Post
Did you have the vinyl tile grouted? I'm curious how that's holding up.

No, the 12" square premium vinyl tile we used had the grout lines on the edge of the tile (on two sides of the tile).