Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #113

TrafficMASTER Ceramica - TrafficMASTER Allure Ultra - TrafficMASTER Allure Plus - TrafficMASTER Allure - TrafficMASTER - Vinyl Flooring & Resilient Flooring - Flooring -*The Home Depot

Has anyone here tried the Allure free floating vinyle plank floor in an rv? I have installed this stuff in one house and in my basement. It is a breeze to work with, no glue, no saw, simply score with a razor knife, then snap in two. Each plank has it's own glue strips that mate to each other. They require no underlament or pad, are waterproof and look exactly like composite laminante flooring. Sounds like this type of floor would be perfect for our type application since it can go right over any smooth surface and is it, s own vapor barrier.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #114

We used vinyl floating flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
TrafficMASTER Ceramica - TrafficMASTER Allure Ultra - TrafficMASTER Allure Plus - TrafficMASTER Allure - TrafficMASTER - Vinyl Flooring & Resilient Flooring - Flooring -*The Home Depot

Has anyone here tried the Allure free floating vinyle plank floor in an rv? I have installed this stuff in one house and in my basement. It is a breeze to work with, no glue, no saw, simply score with a razor knife, then snap in two. Each plank has it's own glue strips that mate to each other. They require no underlament or pad, are waterproof and look exactly like composite laminante flooring. Sounds like this type of floor would be perfect for our type application since it can go right over any smooth surface and is it, s own vapor barrier.
We finished our install a couple months ago. We did it ourselves, the hardest part was removing the old carpet, tile and wood. I was initially worried about the noise, uneven subfloor surface, chill factor on our feet, shrinkage and expansion of the vinyl. But the flooring is pretty thick so even though the subfloor was not perfect you can not tell. The road noise factor has not ben an issue it might have been a little quieter with carpet but not noticeable. The floor is warmer than the old tile and wood flooring, less warm as the carpet obviously, but not bad at all. I do have a couple spots that the tile did seperate, it was my fault cutting the tiles too close to the cabinets where I was supposed to leave ⅛ inch gap, I have went back and trimmed the tile and am waiting til summer when the floor is warm to tap them back into position. I did notice when I was installing tiles with the door open, with direct sun light hitting a section the floor, the tiles began expanding unevenly between the shaded ones and the hot ones. We planned on using a throw rug near the door so I was not too worried. The floor is so easy to keep clean now just a quick sweep, it is less slippery when it is wet compared to the old tile. Here are a few photos of our install.

Flooring Replacment - Our Rv Roadtrip

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Allure's manufacturing info recommends NOT using it in the temperature extremes that will be experienced in RV interiors. I know that people have used it in RVs and not had issues, but I decided not to chance it.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #116

And while mine is a fifth wheel, I used traffic master to replace the vinyl that split in last years cold. I installed it per the instructions (fully floating, a gap all the way around, etc.) and in the heat of last summer it was great and I waited till this winter wondering how it would hold up in the cold...I got my answer and here is a link to some pictures of the floor and how cold it was!

I am a happy camper!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
And while mine is a fifth wheel, I used traffic master to replace the vinyl that split in last years cold. I installed it per the instructions (fully floating, a gap all the way around, etc.) and in the heat of last summer it was great and I waited till this winter wondering how it would hold up in the cold...I got my answer and here is a link to some pictures of the floor and how cold it was!

I am a happy camper!

Tim
Excellent, I suspected that it would be able to handle the temp changes. Nice job btw!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #118

flooring

Quote:

Works like a champ in a motor home. We put it down in a class Storm that we used to own. Went in easy and handles all temperatures that any rv is subjected to.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #119

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I plan to redo my floors soon, I am looking for trim to go at the top of my step cut-out.. I think I would like a rubber/vinyl 45 degree piece to trim it out... Any ideas where to find that??
Old 03-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #120

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
do a search on Roppe. they make all that in Fostoria Ohio
Old 03-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #121
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I plan to redo my floors soon, I am looking for trim to go at the top of my step cut-out.. I think I would like a rubber/vinyl 45 degree piece to trim it out... Any ideas where to find that??

Go to Ernie Ekbergs Yahoo page and join his group so you can view pictures of the various RVs he has done. You will come away with a lot ideas on replacing your floors. I've emailed him a couple of times on specifics and he has been quick to respond.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #122

I pulled mine up today in my 02 Expedition 36T. I'm guessing it was not OEM, as there were no staples.... Just the tack strips around the edges. Also pulled up the laminate in the shower area.

We purchased some laminate hard wood from Costco last week that was on sale, and I hope to have it down this weekend. We are doing the entire coach except for the slideouts.

Originally, I was planning to take it to have it done as I just didn't see myself having time. However, after seeing the flooring that we liked on sale I figured I could make time between business trips.

Will post some pictures later of the progress.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Cant wait to see your project? post pics of process? If you need any Help will be more than glad to answer questions?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #124

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
there are a few manufacturers that actually used tack strips.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #125

Just an update.... I am just now getting around to installing the flooring. Starting on it tomorrow morning. I spent this evening doing a final cleanup of what was removed a few weeks ago.

Will post some pics hopefully tomorrow night.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #126

An update.... I have been out of town, so still not quite finished. I just have the trim / moulding left to do. Some in process pictures are below.

I did not tackle the drivers area. I also left the carpet on the seat pedestals and will be installing trim pieces around them. For the LR slide, I cut the flooring at a 50 degree angle to provide the ramp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429233306.165770.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	91628

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429233345.179410.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	91629

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429233389.266205.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	91630

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429233483.758057.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	91631

After the flooring is done (hopefully this week), I am looking to replace the love seat and the sofa. Definitely not bolting that love seat down on the new floor.... Gotta replace them!