Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #127

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
We HAVE been looking for a new coach already and Yes, it will be another American. It was unbelievable how our coach stayed together & is a testament to the quality of the build. Don't think I'd feel as safe in anything else.
I would also look at Country Coach, Beaver and Monaco's for replacement. I think all of those use steel framing.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #128

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I would also look at Country Coach, Beaver and Monaco's for replacement. I think all of those use steel framing.
Yes, thanks, but I really researched the hell out of all the higher end coaches & although they were all well built, in the end I fell in love with the looks & floor plans of the Americans. Would make my life much easier if there were more coaches in the mix. Husband loves the Country Coaches, but you know how THAT works... "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy", lol! He really is an amazing man!

Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #129
cwk

Newmar says it uses an aluminum frame, 16" on center. I believe that qualifies as a "high end coach."

One of the reasons Newmar lists is that it is lightweight. Aluminum is lighter than steel for the same amount of metal, but I thought it was not as strong. However, the configuration (shape) of the framing can add to the strength.

So, which would be good/better/best for the framing on a coach: wood, steel, or aluminum?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, thanks, but I really researched the hell out of all the higher end coaches & although they were all well built, in the end I fell in love with the looks & floor plans of the Americans. Would make my life much easier if there were more coaches in the mix. Husband loves the Country Coaches, but you know how THAT works... "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy", lol! He really is an amazing man!
Are you members of the Amer Coach Assn? They'll have some coaches for sale and you can find out where the dealers are located:

The American Coach Association | Having more fun than should be legally allowed….
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Are you members of the Amer Coach Assn? They'll have some coaches for sale and you can find out where the dealers are located:

The American Coach Association | Having more fun than should be legally allowed….
Thanks Cat320! No, not a member but have checked out the "for sale" listings. Hopefully we'll find our new coach sooner rather than later! The process isn't a lot of fun & actually kind of stressful -1) too late, already sold 2)Not as described 3)delamination, blah, blah, blah...wouldn't be so bad but it involves flying around the country, none are ever close by.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Newmar says it uses an aluminum frame, 16" on center. I believe that qualifies as a "high end coach."

One of the reasons Newmar lists is that it is lightweight. Aluminum is lighter than steel for the same amount of metal, but I thought it was not as strong. However, the configuration (shape) of the framing can add to the strength.

So, which would be good/better/best for the framing on a coach: wood, steel, or aluminum?
Oops! Sorry just realized you quoted someone else's post! My bad!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

Newmar is definitely a high end coach, I just prefer the looks of the Americans, inside & out.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 AM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yes, it WAS my last post before the accident which happened at 5:30ish. I'm feeling a little better each day, mentally and physically.

I tell Dave (my husband) everyday how thankful I am that it was him behind the wheel and what am amazing job he did keeping us all safe. Thank you for the kind words!

We HAVE been looking for a new coach already and Yes, it will be another American. It was unbelievable how our coach stayed together & is a testament to the quality of the build. Don't think I'd feel as safe in anything else. Although excited to start a new search, I'm dreading the actual process. Quick round-trip weekend flights around the country for Dave is not fun... we have 4 dogs, so I stay home with them. We have a few checked off on our list & hope they're still available when insurance comes through, hopefully in a few weeks. I'm praying we find it by August... We have my most favorite trip then & this year my brothers & mom will be going down also! We are scattered around the country & it'll be the first time we'll all be together for a "fun" thing & not a funeral... Ahhh, the joys of being middle age!
You're not kidding about the surprises!!! Lol!

Again... Thanks Ed, for the kind words... Actually thank all you!!!
All the Best! Lisa
Lisa, a lot has been said about those "Steering aids" like Safe T Plus!

I seem to remember reading that for our American Eagle Coach that is build on a Spartan chassis with a Granning independent front suspension system, (that could possibly have been on your Dream or one similar to it) and has been used on MANY American Coaches, that you should Not use Any Aftermarket steering stabilizer devizes or it could seriously jeopardize the normal operation of the steering system as designed!

It has a twin cylinder device build in to itself already so I would advice strongly to check with the manufacturer before installing anything aftermarket.

Unfortunately I can't find that piece of writing, what I'm looking for right now but I know it's there somewhere and thought I should give you a heads up!
This goes for all Granning IFS (independent front suspension systems) !!!!

I guess you're Husband would likely do his research but you never know.

Best Regards,

Ed

2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 AM   #135

Tiffin Owners Club
If I was at all concerned about crash worthiness of a RV, there is only one vehicle type I would ride in.....Super C. just sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Lisa, a lot has been said about those "Steering aids" like Safe T Plus!

I seem to remember reading that for our American Eagle Coach that is build on a Spartan chassis with a Granning independent front suspension system, (that could possibly have been on your Dream or one similar to it) and has been used on MANY American Coaches, that you should Not use Any Aftermarket steering stabilizer devizes or it could seriously jeopardize the normal operation of the steering system as designed!

It has a twin cylinder device build in to itself already so I would advice strongly to check with the manufacturer before installing anything aftermarket.

Unfortunately I can't find that piece of writing, what I'm looking for right now but I know it's there somewhere and thought I should give you a heads up!
This goes for all Granning IFS (independent front suspension systems) !!!!

I guess you're Husband would likely do his research but you never know.

Best Regards,

Ed

The only thing it has is some of them have two steering dampners that will do nothing for a tire blow out.
If you happen to find that piece of writing please post I'm curious as to why.
I know Steer Safe makes one for that ifs.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #137
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
The only thing it has is some of them have two steering dampners that will do nothing for a tire blow out.
If you happen to find that piece of writing please post I'm curious as to why.
I know Steer Safe makes one for that ifs.

I put my trust in SteerSafe! And at $439 it's the cheapest insurance you will find!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I put my trust in SteerSafe! And at $439 it's the cheapest insurance you will find!

I hear ya. I spent a little more and got a Blue Ox Tru Center because I liked the idea of it being adjustable on the fly.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #139

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They don't make a "steer safe" or other unit for our 20,000# Reyco Granning front axle. This axle has two steering boxes, one is primary and in the standard position the slave is under the passenger seat (more or less). Those puppies are huge and I'm not sure that there would be any benefit from anything add'l either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #140

Tiffin Owners Club
Lisa,

My wife just told me about this last week. She's a teacher in Marlboro and talked with you about the accident and now I just saw your post and thread on this forum. I'm so happy you, your husband, and dogs survived! Your husband did a great job handling the event.

Good luck in finding another rig so that you guys can get back in the saddle!

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote