Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Thank god your all well! Really makes you stop and think what would happen if it happened to you! I know at times I find myself running a little fast trying to make up time on some of our trips. The next thing I'm installing is a safe t steer and definitely going to slow it down a bit. I just have this scene play out in my mind of descending one of the big hills in Tennessee with a curve at the bottom and a tire blowing out at 70mph as I approach the curve. Scary!
I remember every horrifying second of it. My husband is an excellent driver, been driving big rigs and heavy equipment all his life, has had quite a few front blow outs in his career...he said this was totally different than anything he experienced. Everyone on the scene commented on his ability to get it stopped and back up on the highway, the coach had started to tip over on the passenger side down the embankment after crashing thru 200 feet of guard rail. He got it stopped in the shoulder right up against the remaining guard rail. I'll post pictures of the aftermath when I get my new phone...mine flew out the door and is shattered and covered in diesel fuel
__________________

__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
harleyjt's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 1,398
Sad deal. I really hate to hear it. That kind of thing always sucks, especially when its your first trip out in a new to you rig. Like everyone, so glad to hear there were no major injuries. Your angels were working overtime. Good luck in getting everything straightened out with the insurance and so forth, I hope all that works out for you so you can move on and start looking for another coach if that's what you want to do. If so, I hope you find one even nicer than the one you just had. I'm sure everyone will be interested to see pictures.

Now, I think I may look into a Safe-T-Plus for my coach....
jt
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Lisa, that sucks. Like others, I'll be interested in hearing more details as the are revealed. That said, I'll also be looking forward to following your next RV adventure, which presumably will lean more toward fun, less toward terror!
Yes, it really sucks...big time! Definitely way less terror would be fabulous! What I DO know is, right before the blow out, my husband heard and felt a "thump-thump" before the huge blow out explosion noise, which is why the authorities and he think there was something on the road that caused the accident.
__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
mhbell's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ogden Utah
Posts: 508
Glad Everyone is safe with no serious injuries. I have had two front tire blowouts on different motor homes. The first one took out the whole passenger front fender and wheel well at 65 MPH just out of Lordsburg NM on I-10. No problem controlling the rig and pulled to the right of the road while slowing down. The second blow out Tore out the wheel well and damaged the fender and wheel. 60 MPH Had a Steer Safe and rig was under control while I slowed it to a stop. Somewhere in Texas I-10. No injuries and was able to drive both rigs home after changing Tire and Wheels. I won't have a Rig without a steer safe or other device in case of a blow out. They do help for keeping the rig under control when it happens.
Mel
__________________
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
http://www.rvbloggers.wordpress.com
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Sad deal. I really hate to hear it. That kind of thing always sucks, especially when its your first trip out in a new to you rig. Like everyone, so glad to hear there were no major injuries. Your angels were working overtime. Good luck in getting everything straightened out with the insurance and so forth, I hope all that works out for you so you can move on and start looking for another coach if that's what you want to do. If so, I hope you find one even nicer than the one you just had. I'm sure everyone will be interested to see pictures.

Now, I think I may look into a Safe-T-Steer for my coach....
jt
We're definitely getting "back in the saddle" and I can guarantee that Safe-T-Plus will be installed before we leave the driveway. I will definitively post pics to this thread , probably by Tuesday. It was WAS a really great trip until 4 hours into the ride home. I really really liked everything about that coach!
__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Glad Everyone is safe with no serious injuries. I have had two front tire blowouts on different motor homes. The first one took out the whole passenger front fender and wheel well at 65 MPH just out of Lordsburg NM on I-10. No problem controlling the rig and pulled to the right of the road while slowing down. The second blow out Tore out the wheel well and damaged the fender and wheel. 60 MPH Had a Steer Safe and rig was under control while I slowed it to a stop. Somewhere in Texas I-10. No injuries and was able to drive both rigs home after changing Tire and Wheels. I won't have a Rig without a steer safe or other device in case of a blow out. They do help for keeping the rig under control when it happens.
Mel
Two!?!? God bless you!Let's just hope this is the only blow out I EVER have! Lol,My nerves are shot! Husband has had quite a few front blow outs and said this was different, more explosive, was all he could do to keep it upright.
__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Scottybdivin's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spicewood Texas (West of Austin)
Posts: 3,184
This is terrible news. Your enthusiasm about your new coach has been infectious. So glad nobody was injured and I hope you can come to a quick resolution. What brand were the tires, not that it makes much difference if it was due to road debris.
__________________
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
iamblum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 267
So happy all are safe. I can't even imagine how unbelievably scary that must have been. It actually just made me go check my dot dates. 2412 is what they say. So that is the 24th week of 2012 if I'm not mistaken?
__________________
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Sheriffbubba's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Marysville Washington
Posts: 344
I too am so sorry Lisa... I closely followed you buying and upgrading your beautiful American Coach. I know you must be heart broken. I know I would be.
Can't imagine any of this will be easy for you or your husband to deal with but, it will get better and someday you will look back on this as an unfortunate bump in the road.
I'm glad you had a good trip up to the blowout.... Try to focus on the good times and try to keep in mind that the good times are really what RV lifestyle is really about.
I, for one can't wait to see what your next RV will be like and can't wait to hear about the great times ahead!!!
Tell your husband GOOD JOB!!

Take care, Brian.


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
mike brez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milford,CT.
Posts: 1,285
Sorry to hear this glad everyone is ok. I don't think anyone asked what brand tire blew?
__________________
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
101stveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 264
Curious did you have a tire pressure monitoring system installed? If so did you get any warnings?
__________________
2016 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
Southwest Florida
101stveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Curious did you have a tire pressure monitoring system installed? If so did you get any warnings?
A TPMS will help if there is a slow leak, but is no good if it is a blowout. I have a TPMS, but when my RF tire blew there was no warning...just a very loud BANG!
__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
This is terrible news. Your enthusiasm about your new coach has been infectious. So glad nobody was injured and I hope you can come to a quick resolution. What brand were the tires, not that it makes much difference if it was due to road debris.
Yes,I really loved that coach! It was just about perfect! I honestly don't know what brand they were, all that info,installation date, brand, was left with all the other receipts inside the Dream which is in Florida.
__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Lisablue85's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I too am so sorry Lisa... I closely followed you buying and upgrading your beautiful American Coach. I know you must be heart broken. I know I would be.
Can't imagine any of this will be easy for you or your husband to deal with but, it will get better and someday you will look back on this as an unfortunate bump in the road.
I'm glad you had a good trip up to the blowout.... Try to focus on the good times and try to keep in mind that the good times are really what RV lifestyle is really about.
I, for one can't wait to see what your next RV will be like and can't wait to hear about the great times ahead!!!
Tell your husband GOOD JOB!!

Take care, Brian.
Thank you Brian, I am heartbroken. Definitely is not an easy thing to deal with but there are others facing much larger problems that can't be fixed. I consider myself very lucky,"things" can be replaced, some people don't get that option...life is not a guarantee.
Not only have I been telling him but friends and family are thanking him for doing such a great job , so very thankful it was him behind the wheel...would have been a very different outcome had it been someone without as much experience behind the wheel .
I am dreading the search for a new coach but we're staying with American coach as we were absolutely amazed at how that coach stayed together! Hopefully the search Wii be short.
__________________

__________________
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Blow Out with Comfort Drive wnytaxman Newmar Owner's Forum 16 07-03-2014 09:12 AM
Performance of IFS during front blow out Jaderus Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 14 04-28-2014 09:17 PM
Another engine pre-heat blow-out DonnaB Newmar Owner's Forum 9 03-10-2011 07:07 AM
Front tire blow out = exciting ride NorCal C&H Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 23 03-15-2010 10:19 PM
A quick "Tire Blow Out" quiz AKBrick Monaco Owner's Forum 30 12-21-2008 03:29 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.