Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #71
HGC

tire blowout...

Very happy to hear you are all well!

My grandfather once said to me: "the art of life is learning to turn a liability into an asset". We are all confident you will be better and come out of this as such. And as Dale Evans once sang..."Happy Trails to You...." and our Best Wishes from the iRV2 gang!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #72

If you really want something that is going to stay togeather after a crash I would look at a older Bluebird. Only one roll over certified.

There was an accident years ago, I think on another of our sites, about one of our members(from Texas), taking to the ditch and beyond to avoid an accident that just occured in front of him. This was an FC, that finally hit a tree and laid on it's side. The driver and his wife had to kick the windshield out to get out and were standing by the road when first responders got there. Imagine the looks on the responders faces. Long story short, was a wrecker uprighted the coach, and the owner drove off. There are pictures of this somewhere on one of these sites.
That's the beauty of these birds, strength!!!!!

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #73
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry to hear about your coach--you guys were so excited about it. Glad everyone came out relatively unscathed.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
If you really want something that is going to stay togeather after a crash I would look at a older Bluebird. Only one roll over certified.

There was an accident years ago, I think on another of our sites, about one of our members(from Texas), taking to the ditch and beyond to avoid an accident that just occured in front of him. This was an FC, that finally hit a tree and laid on it's side. The driver and his wife had to kick the windshield out to get out and were standing by the road when first responders got there. Imagine the looks on the responders faces. Long story short, was a wrecker uprighted the coach, and the owner drove off. There are pictures of this somewhere on one of these sites.
That's the beauty of these birds, strength!!!!!

Wow. They drove off. That is really something.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Dang guys Lisa is still traumatized about this event and y'all are posting wreck pictures...geese.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #76

A sudden tire failure blow-out is certainly a bad experience. Glad you made it through without major injuries. As you said, insurance can replace objects and your enthusiasm will be restored. Always hard to say what caused a catastrophic blow-out since by the time you get stopped there is next to nothing left of the tire. I guess the toad was collateral damage? Glad you have a good attitude about getting a U-haul to get home and then wanting to get back out with another MH.

I had a sudden blow-out on RF tire of mine, maybe being a big rig truck based class 8 chassis made it better, but I was able to get over to side of the road safely without any major damage. Just tore up the underside of the fender a bit, and messed up wiring. Still enough to have the nerves jingling for a bit though!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #77

As everyone has said... Thank goodness everyone is ok.. This is going to make one HECK of a campfire story (eventually)...

My experience with a blowout is pretty funny (now)...

My son participates in Scouts, and the Troop was going "up north" to summer camp... about 4 hours... I decided to piggyback a camping weekend with the girls and volunteered to be a "driver"..

So, about 1 hour from final destination it happened... a front tire blow-out... scary as hell... my GF was "blown" about a foot in the air when it went off just below her seat.. scared the living crap out of us... not to mention all the scouts I had in the RV with us (safely buckled in, as per Scout rules)...

Needless to say... the blowout occurred right near a church and were were able to pull into the parking lot... Of course, the entire Troop motorcade followed.. and as we did.. it started to rain... So, there I was, 30+ scouts/parents looking at me and the RV as we undertook the task of "putting-on-the-spare"... funny now as I look back, not so funny when it was happening.. we were back on the road within 45 minutes.. and we made it to the final destination, dropped off all the scouts and headed to our final destination of camping..

I'd like to say my story ends there... but it doesn't... As we were heading home on Monday.. about an hour from home.. we had ANOTHER blow out.. this time, in the rear.. thankfully, the blowout happened about 1000 yards from an exit.. which happened to have a truck repair shop.. we limped in... miracles of miracles, they had two tires our size.. we decided to buy two for the front... We finally made it home.. my GF insisted before we went on another trip, we HAD to replace the remaining 4 tires...

All this happened BEFORE I was educated in the 7-10 year rule on tires... The tires were original 1995 tires and this happened in 2012... I would say, we were pretty lucky !!

However, in your case... It's time to make lemonade from those lemons... Once all the dust has settled, you get to begin the fun journey of finding another dream-to-you coach... and while I know your old one was special... the next one will be just as special...

Good luck and God bless !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post

Two!?!? God bless you!Let's just hope this is the only blow out I EVER have! Lol,My nerves are shot! Husband has had quite a few front blow outs and said this was different, more explosive, was all he could do to keep it upright.
Lisa,

So Blessed to hear that everyone is fine and recovering from the tragedy.

May I suggest to you and anyone reading this thread regarding front tire blowouts that you should go ahead an install the Safe-T-Plus since you already have one BUT I would also consider installing a set of Tyron Bands on the front wheels.

They will prevent the tire from coming off of the rim allowing you to maintain reasonable control of the coach while bringing it to a safe stop.

Expensive, about $2000 for a set installed I believe but well worth the investment which I am sure you can attest to after experiencing it first hand.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Lazy Days in Seffner Florida is their main location but they have people that install them throughout the country.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #79

Glad you're all OK.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Lisa,

May I suggest to you and anyone reading this thread regarding front tire blowouts that you should go ahead an install the Safe-T-Plus since you already have one BUT I would also consider installing a set of Tyron Bands on the front wheels.

They will prevent the tire from coming off of the rim allowing you to maintain reasonable control of the coach while bringing it to a safe stop.

Expensive, about $2000 for a set installed I believe but well worth the investment which I am sure you can attest to after experiencing it first hand.

Lazy Days in Seffner Florida is their main location but they have people that install them throughout the country.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Amazing. This is the 1st time I have heard of this product. I assume the 2K just include the two steers?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #81

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Sad deal. I really hate to hear it. That kind of thing always sucks, especially when its your first trip out in a new to you rig. Like everyone, so glad to hear there were no major injuries. Your angels were working overtime. Good luck in getting everything straightened out with the insurance and so forth, I hope all that works out for you so you can move on and start looking for another coach if that's what you want to do. If so, I hope you find one even nicer than the one you just had. I'm sure everyone will be interested to see pictures.

Now, I think I may look into a Safe-T-Plus for my coach....
jt
Thanks jt. I know that before our next coach leaves the driveway a Safe-T-Plus will be installed.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Very happy to hear you are all well!

My grandfather once said to me: "the art of life is learning to turn a liability into an asset". We are all confident you will be better and come out of this as such. And as Dale Evans once sang..."Happy Trails to You...." and our Best Wishes from the iRV2 gang!
Thanks HGC. One of my favorite quotes- "Some days you're the dog and some days you're the fire hydrant", on April 1st I was definitely the fire hydrant.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Osborne View Post
Dang guys Lisa is still traumatized about this event and y'all are posting wreck pictures...geese.
Aww! Thanks Dan! It doesn't bother me to see,I know that nobody on this forum would intentionally hurt/harm another member, I saw it as just info on a well built coach.I really appreciate your concern, your a really considerate and good guy!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Lisa,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks Richard...Yes I did here of these and will definitively check them out. Heard good reviews on them also.