Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Horrible Tire Story

RV overturns, driver ejected in U.S. 33 crash

Scary what a nightmare for these folks....

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, that indeed was scary. Glad they weren't seriously hurt. Praying for a speedy recovery.
I don't drive mine without my seat belt on, just too much windshield for me.

WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, sure glad they will be OK.

I am wondering what they meant by also towing a minivan which contributed to the crash????
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

Last month I had exactly the same thing happen just outside Tucumcari, NM. I was driving along at 67 MPH, suddenly the right front tire blew. It was a few seconds of sheer terror, but fortunately I managed to get to the side of the road. I was towing a Chevy Tahoe and Thank God that I made the decision to purchase the Blue Ox Tow bar and SMI Airforce One Braking system. Even the State Trooper remarked that having the right equipment allowed me to maintain control and prevented it from being any worse. I'm not saying that other systems are not good, I just had the right system for my towing situation. I also want to state, that I inspect my tires on a regular basis. They were looked at just 20 miles before the accident. We concluded that I hit something in the road. None the less, I am still investing in a TPMS (Tire Pressure monitoring system) that will even monitor the pressure and temperature of my towed vehicle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrockey View Post
Last month I had exactly the same thing happen just outside Tucumcari, NM. I was driving along at 67 MPH, suddenly the right front tire blew. It was a few seconds of sheer terror, but fortunately I managed to get to the side of the road. I was towing a Chevy Tahoe and Thank God that I made the decision to purchase the Blue Ox Tow bar and SMI Airforce One Braking system. Even the State Trooper remarked that having the right equipment allowed me to maintain control and prevented it from being any worse. I'm not saying that other systems are not good, I just had the right system for my towing situation. I also want to state, that I inspect my tires on a regular basis. They were looked at just 20 miles before the accident. We concluded that I hit something in the road. None the less, I am still investing in a TPMS (Tire Pressure monitoring system) that will even monitor the pressure and temperature of my towed vehicle.

I just purchased a TPMS system hoping for a little more protection. It will help for a slow increase in Temp or a slow decrease in pressure. Because it takes 30 secs. to check all 6 tires, a rapid increase which might come before a blow out wouldn't be seen in time.

It's still a valuable tool for tire maintenance but I don't think, my opinion only, that it's going to be much help in a rapid pre-blow out situation.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I just purchased a TPMS system hoping for a little more protection. It will help for a slow increase in Temp or a slow decrease in pressure. Because it takes 30 secs. to check all 6 tires, a rapid increase which might come before a blow out wouldn't be seen in time.

It's still a valuable tool for tire maintenance but I don't think, my opinion only, that it's going to be much help in a rapid pre-blow out situation.
??? What system did you buy? We did lots of research before buying ours and found that ALL would give immediate notification if any tire reached "notification" status which is normally 10-15% up or down from the standards installed by the owner...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My TST system take about a minute to scan and pole all tires in a rotation...But, has immediate notification when pressure or temp hits the set points.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #8

In my opinion, immediate TPMS notification may simply be a distraction during an urgent situation, and the point of this thread should be about wearing seat belts, or about handling a front blowout.

Pleased that these folks will be okay!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wow I hope they are ok. If that thing overturned it held up pretty good considering. Had she been wearing her seatbelt she may have been ok. She was lucky not to be killed.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #10

any large vehicle front tire blown-out is a real bomber. see this
8 Dead in Tennessee Bus Crash With Tractor-Trailer, SUV - ABC News

watch the video.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

something strange in the details. The sat dome and airhorns look untouched. Must have turned over really odd. I always wear my seatbelt.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
No seat belt
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrockey View Post
What was the age of your tire? You show you have an 06 coach was the tire original equipment?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
H Miller,
There are many good TMPS systems but I have the PressurePro system that has been in business longer than most others. Good service and it will intigrate with the SilverLeaf VMS system.

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote