Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Another HWH leveling jacks problem

We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 36' gas motor on a workhorse chassis....with HWH series 325 leveling system....Our right front jack will not extend. That being said, we have checked fluid levels, checked fuses checked hoses, blew a fuse while diagnosing a rear jack problem (now working), got a new solenoid from HWH, put in a new fuse, all the other jacks work fine...except this one. It will not budge. I'm about ready to chuck the whole RV'ing thing and just stay home. We've repaired a rear jack (which is now working) and while diagnoising that problem the right front jack stopped working. This coach hasn't moved out of our driveway for most of the summer because of this problem. My husband is very mechanically inclined, we've spoken with HWH (who aren't open on Fridays!)after a 5 week wait on a call back with very little satisfaction and read the manual from front to back. What have we missed?? The new solenoid is one of the newer ones with a white valve instead of a screw to turn and it's pointed straight out which HWH told us was the right position. What have we missed...We're at our wits end not to mention our pockets are empty. We need to get this money pit in working order! Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, Frustrated in Ohio

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotr View Post
We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 36' gas motor on a workhorse chassis....with HWH series 325 leveling system....Our right front jack will not extend. That being said, we have checked fluid levels, checked fuses checked hoses, blew a fuse while diagnosing a rear jack problem (now working), got a new solenoid from HWH, put in a new fuse, all the other jacks work fine...except this one. It will not budge. I'm about ready to chuck the whole RV'ing thing and just stay home. We've repaired a rear jack (which is now working) and while diagnoising that problem the right front jack stopped working. This coach hasn't moved out of our driveway for most of the summer because of this problem. My husband is very mechanically inclined, we've spoken with HWH (who aren't open on Fridays!)after a 5 week wait on a call back with very little satisfaction and read the manual from front to back. What have we missed?? The new solenoid is one of the newer ones with a white valve instead of a screw to turn and it's pointed straight out which HWH told us was the right position. What have we missed...We're at our wits end not to mention our pockets are empty. We need to get this money pit in working order! Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, Frustrated in Ohio
I would turn the valve to another position and see if the jack works. Could be your definition of straight out and HWH is different.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi shaneotr,
We have all been in your position (some more than others). However, all you can to is take on one problem at a time. The coach will settle down and good times will return. Go to HWH Service Manuals chooses which 325 system you have and download the service manual. I know more about HWH systems than I ever wanted to know. I have found their manuals to be quite good and helpful. Go one step at a time and work through the diagnostics.

Try what gemini5362 posted first. This could be a simple fix.

If the jack will not deploy, the other jacks deploy and the pump is running, the hydraulic fluid is not being pumped into the jack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

Another HWH jacks leveling problem

Thanks for the response! We've read all the HWH manuals backwards and forwards, run the diagnostics and gone thru the trouble shooting section. After checking all the control box lights, apparently now we have to buy a control box. And you are right, I've learned more about the jacks leveling system than I ever wanted to know. We've done all the diagnostics we can do. Apparently our level of expertise isn't good enough since the jack won't fully extend and now it's not retracting fully either and the red warning light is on. We've tried to force it up with 2x4's and a very sturdy bar that we've used to retract a jack in the past and it's not budging. You are correct, it's not getting any hydrolic fluid, so somethin isn't working. Believe me there is a lot to be said for the big orange legos we used on the dependable Itasca Sunrise we used to own! HWH said it will be another month or so before our name is at the top of the list for a call back so I guess we get to work around the house for now. Can't remember when I've had so much fun. Thanks for the suggestions, it's great to have a group to check in with. Safe and happy traveling to all of you!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotr View Post
HWH said it will be another month or so before our name is at the top of the list for a call back so I guess we get to work around the house for now.
Either they have no one working there or they have ALOT of problems with their system. That is really crappy customer service.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Another view- I got the same indication of 3-4 weeks for a call back from a tech. Took the MH to a local shop and HWH replaced the broken jack as a goodwill gesture even though it was 18 months out of warranty. I paid an hour and a half of labor to diagnose the problem and grind off frozen bolts. Interestingly, I got a call from HWH customer service the day I got the MH back asking if I had ever gotten a call back from them.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Another jack leveling problem

Not sure how to start this post other then to admit half of this whole ordeal was my fault. I'm just not one to lay low for too long so I reread the HWH manual and tried again, starting from the beginning...to no avail...but one of your posts told me to try rvleveling.com, which took me to Stuarts an authorized HWH dealer. I called, Chuck was there, no waiting for a call back (I'm sure I was lucky on this)and he helped me diagnois the problem. My advise to everyone is to know KNOW YOUR RIGHT FROM YOUR LEFT. Yep, I replaced the wrong solenoid! When I put the new solenoid in as I said before, the jack still wouldn't extend but when I flipped the cam on the new solenoid...the left front jack retracted!! HUH??? I had Chuck on the phone and thank the RV gods I did! We quickly discovered I had put the new solenoid in the wrong slot! Now why the fuse blew in that slot in the first place, I don't know and right now I don't want to know as everything is working great, now that I replaced the correct solenoid. So, there was a bad solenoid, but I put the new one in the wrong slot which created a slew of weird circumstances and now it's all right, the jacks and the system are working properly and I am so thankful for Chuck at Stuarts Service Center. He also explained how to adjust the level in the system as it was off level which caused one of my yellow lights on the inside panel to come on. We are packing now and will join the maze of holiday traffic. Thank you one and all for the information, the assistance, and the posts. I too now know more about our HWH leveling system than I had ever expected to or wanted to...and am so glad I do! Have a safe and terrific holiday!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi shaneotr,
Thanks for posting the resolution.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
congratulations. I can let you in on a secret I learned from years as a tech rep. Now with your hard won knowledge at some point you will be in a campground and someone will have trouble with their HWH system. You will drop over and offer some advice off of the top of your head and have the problem found immediately. They will be amazed at your knowledge and how fast you found the problem. Not knowing how long and hard you worked gaining the knowledge you now have. Enjoy the moment you will have earned it.

Enjoy your vacation.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #10

I don't think you just got lucky when you called Stuarts with your problem. I have called them several times with HWH solenoid problems. They always answer and always have time to talk and give good, sound advice. This is a business that does understand customer service.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #11

I certaintly agree with the customer service at Stuart's in Elkhart. Chuck is a world class customer service expert not to mention that there is nothing he does not know about HWH leveling sytems. He helped me with my problem and took my order for the replacement part in the same conversation. Much better experience than HWH.

For anyone that needs it, Chuck's number 800-826-6267 or 574-262-0225.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have not found a ground bolt on chassis frame up front driver side all the solenoid grounds go to it.
There was a TSB by Workhorse years ago to check and see if weld of bolt is good there was a problem with the weld.
Good for you its now fixed just check all wire terminations on bolt, for dirty corrosive wire connections, sometime for no further problems.,

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks