Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

Another Leveling Question

Hi all
My 05 Monarch Monaco has Power Gear, 4 pt. automatic Leveling system. We are still new to RVing and this Motorhome (1 year). My question is: can I lower just specific point jacks ie. front or back, left or right without having to "Retract all jacks"? I know I can manually raise specific points, but can I not lower specific points?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Mine is front, back or side to side. I think it is set up to avoid twisting the frame by accident
Cabinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinhill View Post
Mine is front, back or side to side. I think it is set up to avoid twisting the frame by accident
Yes, I understand. Thank you. My question has to do with lowering them. I could raise front or back or sides, but could I lower them without lowering them all? Could I just lower the back?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks

I think your best bet for accurate information is to have your model number and call the company. The reason I say this is that on my 2012, same manufacturer, There were variable options on different models. Mine allow only front down together and rear down together or either rear down separately. The only time I can have individual control is during reprogramming a new level into the software. I was very frustrated originally because my old coach allowed individual jack control. I personally don't like to auto level because it usually puts the coach higher off the ground than is necessary. They also have good information online as well. Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
Yes, I understand. Thank you. My question has to do with lowering them. I could raise front or back or sides, but could I lower them without lowering them all? Could I just lower the back?
My coach you can lower only the backs, fronts or sides if you want but I don't know why you would. I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
My coach you can lower only the backs, fronts or sides if you want but I don't know why you would. I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking.
That's what I am asking. How do you lower just the back? On mine I have to "retract all jacks" which lowers all of them. As mentioned I could raise just front, back or sides, but not lower.
After I auto level, I always still have to manually raise my front. Rather than always raising the front manually sometimes depending on the slope it would be better to just lower the back. Hope that clarifies.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks

I doubt you can do that because this system uses springs to retract or lower the jacks and a valve is just opened to allow the fluid to return from all pistons at the same time. This is compared to a system that has both directions actively operated by hydraulic lines. The best example of this would be a tractors bucket that can be either raised or lower with hydraulic pressure put on either side of the piston to move it in the chosen direction. I would imagine the additional cost of this type of system was not justified for RV use.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

With most hydaulic jacks you csan go automatic ior manual. On my coach if I press the down arrow I think a message appears to press ENTER to activate manually and the either both fronts, both rears or one front and one rear on one side will go down.

As far as auto level goes most of them were not calibrated to be truly level. What I did was go to a level cement area and place the jacks down on auto level, when it was not level there was a way to level it by reprogramming it. It was explained in the manual how to do it.

If you have and other questions call Power Gear direct.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi all
My 05 Monarch Monaco has Power Gear, 4 pt. automatic Leveling system. We are still new to RVing and this Motorhome (1 year). My question is: can I lower just specific point jacks ie. front or back, left or right without having to "Retract all jacks"? I know I can manually raise specific points, but can I not lower specific points?
FrankAN,
If I understand your inquiry right, you want to LOWER your coach, one side or one end, not LOWER YOUR JACKS, correct? If that's what you mean, then yes, MAYBE. I say maybe because I'm not familiar with Power Gears control pad. I do not know how it's laid out. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, is equipped with the HWH 625 Automatic Computer Controlled Leveling System. It can and is often used in the AUTOMATIC version but, if need be, I can use it manually too.

There are arrows on the key pad that are "up" and "down" for the front, both sides and the rear. I can, at my leisure, raise or lower, any given amount I need for an adjustment, at any time.

I do not know if your key pad has anything like that or not. If it does, then I cannot see why you shouldn't be able to do the same thing. You may, like we do, have to have the ignition on, and the leveling system "ON" before any adjusting to the level of the coach, is attempted. Most leveling Jack systems utilize a "two jack" operation. That is, if and when you push an arrow (as in ours) or, the coach is AUTO leveling itself, it will raise any TWO jacks, i.e. front, or rear or, left or right.

But, it will NOT, raise, ONE jack at a time. Not that I know of anyway. If that were to happen, you could easily torque the frame and, consequently the body and do some damage.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
By 'down' I believe the OP means lowering the coach (raising one of the jacks).
To my knowledge you don't have that kind of control. If you want to lower one side (for instance) of the coach you have to lower it all and start over.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
To my knowledge you don't have that kind of control. If you want to lower one side (for instance) of the coach you have to lower it all and start over.
Yes, by down I meant lowering the coach. Sorry about the confusion. Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of! Having to lower all and starting over again!!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes, by down I meant lowering the coach. Sorry about the confusion. Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of! Having to lower all and starting over again!!
Depends on your system. I have the ability to do what you are trying to accomplish. I can auto level or I can manually level. In manual mode I can then hit the retract button and retract the rear jacks, or fronts, depending on what you need. I have done this rather than lift one end higher which is what you are trying to do. I sometimes think it is easier and better to simply level in manual mode, especially if your spot is somewhat not level.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #13

Sounds like something is out of whack if the OP always has to bring the front up to make the coach level.

Ours are manual so i have no idea how auto leveling works, but my first thought is that there is a sensor(s) that the control panel depends on to level correctly. If so, i would think it could be adjusted or some reprogramming could be done to set things right.

Just found this for one of the HWH systems:

RV Tech Library - How to Adjust the HWH Auto Leveling Sensor
Old 08-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
That's not the way it is with many HWH systems, you have the ability to micro adjust, up or down, at any given time, without dropping it all the way and starting over.

Quote:
FrankAN,
You didn't describe your control panel. What's on it or, what does it look like or, is there a picture you can display? I'm asking because, as I explained earlier, on some coaches, and leveling systems, the control panel has arrows and or detent buttons or, some other indicators that show or, will allow you to raise or lower, from any starting point or, present position, WITHOUT dropping all the way down and starting over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Sounds like something is out of whack if the OP always has to bring the front up to make the coach level.

Ours are manual so i have no idea how auto leveling works, but my first thought is that there is a sensor(s) that the control panel depends on to level correctly. If so, i would think it could be adjusted or some reprogramming could be done to set things right.

Just found this for one of the HWH systems:

RV Tech Library - How to Adjust the HWH Auto Leveling Sensor
" if the OP always has to bring the front up to make the coach level."

I'm not sure I read that in his original post. I was under the impression all he wants to be able to do is, adjust from a present position, either up or down, without descending the coach all the way back down and starting over. Maybe I missed something here.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling