Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #43

Holy crap that's scary (what was that anyway, a Newmar London Aire?). I think ours has a Dometic...which I am now thankful for.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What a terrible thing, and even with the recall repairs done! The fridge on my 1996 HR is a Dometic Royale, anyone know of any problems with these--are all RV fridges potentially dangerous--and how can you lessen the risk of fire?---Vince

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #45

Mac the fire guy sells a fire extinguisher that fits behind the refrig. I have one.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #46
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Fires burn up and outward from the source. Take a look at the damage in the picture. The bulk of the fire damage was at the front of the coach. There is more air draw at the front and more damage can occur there. The burning at the vent is more indicative of the fire venting at the refer.

I did fire investigation for the past 15 years. This is NOT a slam dunk that the refer caused it. Damage will always be less severe farther from the point of origin, not more severe like in ths case. I know the Norcolds have issues and they cause fires, but it seems that every coach that catches fire now is caused by Norcold. The only real way to know what happened here is to read the fire invetigator's report.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
What a terrible thing, and even with the recall repairs done! The fridge on my 1996 HR is a Dometic Royale, anyone know of any problems with these--are all RV fridges potentially dangerous--and how can you lessen the risk of fire?---Vince
I've said this already once in this thread, but you CAN NOT think you are safe with this nor cold recall done. It is a cheap bandaid to fix a problem they created.

A) replace the cooling unit, OR

B) get a residential fridge

These propane/electric fridges are safe, unless you have a NORCOLD with the recall.

It's just that simple.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #48

Have to agree my 28 year old 663 is plugged in 24/7
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
I still think the residential fridge is the way to go, the manufactures need to find a way to include residential fridge in all the builds and a way to run them when boon docking or plugged up
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
After listening to all the comments on many different threads on this site we decided that we had to do something for our piece of mind. We decided a residential unit was not our best choice because our inverter is not large enough to carry the load. The only way to run the res frig was shore power or the gen. We replaced our cooling unit with the "Amish" unit and added the auto fire ext. unit in the frig rear compartment. Our shop (Best Value RV, on I-35 Denton, TX) did a great job, inspected everything while the frig was out and had many good comments about the Amish units and the fire ext. systems too. Whatever our odds were of having this type fire I believe we improved them and that is the comfort we were looking for.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
After listening to all the comments on many different threads on this site we decided that we had to do something for our piece of mind. We decided a residential unit was not our best choice because our inverter is not large enough to carry the load. The only way to run the res frig was shore power or the gen. We replaced our cooling unit with the "Amish" unit and added the auto fire ext. unit in the frig rear compartment. Our shop (Best Value RV, on I-35 Denton, TX) did a great job, inspected everything while the frig was out and had many good comments about the Amish units and the fire ext. systems too. Whatever our odds were of having this type fire I believe we improved them and that is the comfort we were looking for.
I'm with you
Although the Norcold is susceptible to failure probably more than other absorption fridges, there are hundreds of thousands of the units out there. When I expressed concern, my Service centre thought I was over reacting. They inspected mine and said it should go for "a few more years"
I bought and installed the fire extinguisher. I had planned to change to the Amish unit "next time the opportunity arose.
I think the fire extinguisher gave me peace of mind and would recommend it.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you have a NORCOLD, and it is involved in the recall, there are only two choices:

1 replace the cooling unit with an AMISH cooling unit.

2 pull out the NORCOLD, put in a residential refer.

Having the recall done is NOT an option. The fix is just an accident waiting to happen.

.....so which is the preferred option? I was leaning toward the Amish fix because I boondock quite a bit but that still keeps me with an absorption frig. Is a residential frig the only way to have complete peace of mind?

Stan
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
Yep, I think you have hit it on the nose. The residential unit is what I'm looking at myself. Currently trying to figure out how to add battery capacity to allow the boon-docking I like to do.
tylerdmoore....when you figure it out I would really like to know what you did. Also don't forget to look into whether the frig requires a pure sine wave feed or modified sine wave current. I believe most rv inverters put out modified sine wave current. if the frig you buy requires pure sine wave, you will also have to replace (upgrade) your inverter.

Stan
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #54

I am replacing a 15 year old Dometic with a Summit counter depth residential. In my case, the old reefer died and I'm not spending another dime on absorption reefers. Boondocking is a minor concern to me .... this thing cools fast, cheaply, and stays cold for a long time with no power (assuming you aren't opening the door every 5 minutes).
Replace Dometic with Summit FF1152SS
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't keep a household reefer for 15 years ... why keep an RV reefer that long?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
This is really scary as I have a Norcold in our MH. Its no the 1200 it is a 6182 and I think it is a 2005 model year.
I have to ask, is this problem with just the 1200`s or should I really be concerned about our Nor cold 6182?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I am replacing a 15 year old Dometic with a Summit counter depth residential. In my case, the old reefer died and I'm not spending another dime on absorption reefers. Boondocking is a minor concern to me .... this thing cools fast, cheaply, and stays cold for a long time with no power (assuming you aren't opening the door every 5 minutes).
Replace Dometic with Summit FF1152SS
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't keep a household reefer for 15 years ... why keep an RV reefer that long?
The Summit is a new brand to me. I checked them out and it looks like they have a unit that is the same size as the Whirlpool that I have installed in a few coaches. They are a bit higher priced, however.