Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
HHg

Another Michelin story

However, mine ends on a great note!! I bought my 2013 Phaeton 40QBH brand new. Both front tires were starting to show pretty severe sidewall cracking. Michelin stepped up and almost paid for the entire cost of new tires. The DOT date code was 2512 (late June of 2012). I could not be happier with the outcome......kudos to Michelin !!

Hhg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #2

How did you go about getting this done? I bought 6 new Michelin tires about a year ago and one of them is getting sidewall cracking already.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
However, mine ends on a great note!! I bought my 2013 Phaeton 40QBH brand new. Both front tires were starting to show pretty severe sidewall cracking. Michelin stepped up and almost paid for the entire cost of new tires. The DOT date code was 2512 (late June of 2012). I could not be happier with the outcome......kudos to Michelin !!

Hhg
Michelin knows they are manufacturing tires that do not do well when unused, and have so stated; from their website, their tires do not develop these sidewall cracks when tires are used regularly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Michelin knows they are manufacturing tires that do not do well when unused, and have so stated; from their website, their tires do not develop these sidewall cracks when tires are used regularly.
That is probably my problem, we average about 3500 miles per year on the coach. But that's about to change !!

Hhg
Old 05-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
How did you go about getting this done? I bought 6 new Michelin tires about a year ago and one of them is getting sidewall cracking already.
Called Michelin at (888) 622-2306. Select option 1, then option 2 and hopefully you get somebody on the first try ! Tell them your problem and they will advise what you need to do.

Hhg
Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Called Michelin at (888) 622-2306. Select option 1, then option 2 and hopefully you get somebody on the first try ! Tell them your problem and they will advise what you need to do.

Hhg
Old 05-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Just a general comment about coaches out of season. Easier for those not living in weather conditions that prohibit this....

All coaches will do better if they are regularly exercised. Part of that exercising, is getting the tires out and up to operating temperature. All tires, yes even the Michelins that are so often mentioned with cracking problems, will be happier and benefit from this exercise.

As well as the coach, generator, AC - OTR and Roof Top, furnaces, hydro/aqua hots, OTR heaters, water pumps, etc. - all benefit from usage. Seals don't dry out, generators don't acquire condensation, etc., etc.

A every 4-6 wee 60 minute get out and exercise the coach and systems, will also improve the health of any tire.

OK - So Michelin thread. And yeah, I've had only three sets of tires over two coaches in 12 years now - so I'm a rookie compared to you veterans. (Bounder, 19.5 Goodyear G670's. Country Coach Michelin XZE*'s, lost two tires to a pothole and had to go with BF Goodrich ST230's due to the tire shortage of 2015, and now recently added 6 more Michelin XZA2's.) So as of now, I'm a Michelin tire user, and feel safe and comfortable with my choice. That being said, I do feel other good quality tires are available, usually, but not always, available at lower price points.

But, I did enjoy riding our bikes around the Yuma Foothills in March. Passed a current 'rustic charmed' not so gracefully aged Executive coach (Complete with tarps with holes over the rear bedroom area, to set the picture. And of course, a residential widow unit AC hanging off the side of the coach too. Propped up with some wood rotting 2x4's.) I could see the front passenger tire. It did have air in it, but we're talking rotted and cracked tires. Not close enough to see actual manufacture of the tire, but laughed at the silver painted name of "Michlin" someone had wrote on the side of the tire...

No question that Michlin had their zipper failure tires, and also a brand or two of tires that were prone to surface cracks, or worse. We have many posters that have shared their problems on relatively young Michelin (Or should I say "Michlin" in this case!) tires that had trouble with Michelin on resolving compensation. Some other good posts, like here, where some have had good success.

I had about three to four days of on/off again conversation with a TCI Tire Center in the Denver area, as we were trying to locate Michelin XZE*'s replacements for more two pot hole damaged tires. (They did not blow, and IMO, a less stout tire could have ruptured, so no complaints on how they survived the impact of this hard edged and deep pot hole at a pretty good speed. Yep, could not avoid it due to traffic, and did not see it in time to slow down very much due to the traffic ahead of me.) The Tire Professional helping me, who located some less then 6 months old ST230's for me and offered to split the costs on having them shipped to his shop. Became a gent that I shot the breeze with quite a bit. I asked him his thoughts on the Michelin tire cracking conversation. He said speaking for himself, that he could see it from both sides. Yes, Michelin (And other companies too.) did have some tires that had problems. He said that his experience while working with Michelin was about 50/50. If a owner had bought the coach new, and or added these tires themselves to the coach, he felt Michelin was more then fair on providing compensation. If a owner had bought the coach second hand, and thus has no fist had experience on the care and or abuse of the tires before they bought the coach. That Michelin was not as easy on providing compensation. In his opinion, this was fair.

He said that after a few decades of talking with RV owners, you could get a feel for those that just 'got in and drove'. Vs those that were hands on on the care of their coach, and tires, including proper inflation. If not evident by being on the valve stems, he'd ask if the coach had Smart Tires installed. That was another way he got a 'feel' for the care of the owner of the tires. One other observation, he was surprised by the owners that had no clue that UV was the enemy. No tire protection used, and or applied. (And yes, as he was inspecting all 8 of my tire for me, they were 5 1/2 years of age. He casually asked me questions about my habits for care. Asked if I had had a four corner weight, and my PSI practices. And knew that I used Aerospace 303. Which he commented he felt was cheap insurance for the exposed rubber compounds.)

So what, well, any tire that is run under inflated for the loads for periods of times. Or has clipped a few too many curbs or other items. Is going too be much more likely to have problems.

Look for me on the road, whenever I pass a flipped over Ford Explorer, I'm the one out writing 'Firestone' on the side of the tires... (Yes, Firestone did have some tires that were problematic, and undersized for the duty on the Explorers. But not all Firestones are bad.... And that is the way I feel about Michelin too! All my opinion....

Best to all, and keep the rubber side down, and properly inflated, exercise your tires/coach - and have some fun!
Smitty
Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Another user pointed me to this thread. Thanks Ray.

In my neck of the woods Michlins are cheaper than Bridgestone 250eds.. I am looking for a slightly smoother ride and i think moving from a 75 to an 80 vs a 70 that I am being pushed into...will give me a slightly smoother ride.. I have more TV than I need so the suspension system isn't overtaxed..

I have read all about the Michelin problems..people don't talk about the class action against Goodyear much.. and now Michelin makes BF Goodrich plus a few other specialty tires..

Thank you Smitty...I likes your response and now will go buy those 235/80 22.5s..

And non use is harder on the tires than UV...which I am not sure is a problem up here in the frozen north...

Cheers..
Old 05-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Just went thru replacing all 6 of my year dated 2011 Michelin's thru their warranty service center for side wall cracking. Ended up paying $1380 for 6 brand new, X Line Energy Z load range "H" tires date code 1416, can't get much newer then that. My old tires were XZA3's 275 80 22.5's and had about 28,000 miles on them.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

5 years on my Michelin's with near new tread and substantial cracking. Contacted Michelin but did not prevail. I purchased 6 new Toyo's and so far so good. No Michelin's for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Yup, no more Michelins for me after they cracked in less than four years. Running Bridgestones now.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Want to learn

Please explain what the different combination of sizes mean in relatively plain English.
In the last 30 years or so I've always kept my vehicles in new tires and have been lucky in as much I've only had to use a spare on one vehicle in the last 15. It was the Suburban and late in the night and I didn't know how to lower the spare and called my Allstate roadside assistance and waited it out.
I wish now I'd taken the time to learn about tire sizes. My wife and I just bought our first motorhome. Its a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38DP. The 4 year old tires on it are Michelin 275/70 R22.5. I took the MH to my tire guy and he was pretty busy but took the time to look and talk a few minutes. He pointed out some slight cracking that I had to blink my eyes a couple of times to see. My eyesight is pretty good in case that thought crosses your mind. He said I could probably get by for a year or so if I drove below 65 and not on Texas summer heated highways. But, I digress.
I understand (I think) what the numbers mean, but in all the reading I've done I can't find how switching from 275/70 to another series of numbers can be done or why? Any comments on anything I've said would be appreciated. Mike
Old 05-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
Please explain what the different combination of sizes mean in relatively plain English.
In the last 30 years or so I've always kept my vehicles in new tires and have been lucky in as much I've only had to use a spare on one vehicle in the last 15. It was the Suburban and late in the night and I didn't know how to lower the spare and called my Allstate roadside assistance and waited it out.
I wish now I'd taken the time to learn about tire sizes. My wife and I just bought our first motorhome. Its a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38DP. The 4 year old tires on it are Michelin 275/70 R22.5. I took the MH to my tire guy and he was pretty busy but took the time to look and talk a few minutes. He pointed out some slight cracking that I had to blink my eyes a couple of times to see. My eyesight is pretty good in case that thought crosses your mind. He said I could probably get by for a year or so if I drove below 65 and not on Texas summer heated highways. But, I digress.
I understand (I think) what the numbers mean, but in all the reading I've done I can't find how switching from 275/70 to another series of numbers can be done or why? Any comments on anything I've said would be appreciated. Mike
Perhaps this website will explain all about tire sizes, and comparable tires sizes by diameter and width. Enter your size and a different size, it shows all differences: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
For example, type in your 275/70R22.5 and 245/80R22.5. They are very close to the same diameter(.2"), 245 is narrower and may not have same weight rating; it will have more sidewall distortion in turns and crosswinds and when hitting bumps.
The first number is tread width in millimeters, second number is ratio of tread width to sidewall height. Your tire is 275 mm wide, sidewall is 70% of tread width, last number is diameter of rim at the bead in inches.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
HHg

To close this thread.....I received my reimbursement check from Michelin yesterday. I could not be happier !!

Thanks
Hhg