Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
I still think making these refrigerators more complex by adding the electronics led to most of the problems people experience.
Sometimes simple is better... We scrapped the RV box last year and replaced it with a counter depth residential fridge and am very pleased with it. I did get $8. for the RV fridge at the scrap yard....

blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #30
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good to know about the possible bad batch of Amish fridges as that can happen. Sorry about going temprarily off topic on this thread. Now back to regular programming.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #31

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Would like to go with the RR but the 197 won't fit height wise and a Maytag will require an inverter change/addition plus possibly a couple more batteries.
There's only about a 5" height increase going to the 197. We did away with two drawers under the Norcold but were able to retain the Aquahot heat duct under them.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #32
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
There's only about a 5" height increase going to the 197. We did away with two drawers under the Norcold but were able to retain the Aquahot heat duct under them.
If I end up installing a 197, I plan to keep the drawer under the fridge, but I will reduce the drawer's height. I will end up making an entirely new floor to ceiling face frame for the opening surrounding the fridge.

The problem is some motorhomes (Tiffin Phaetons in particular) have the electrical panel under the fridge. You can only gain an inch or 2 in height.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our Samsung went in through a side window with an inch or so to spare. New fridge goes in through side window

We ordered an RF197 from Lowes but long after installing it I noticed it was actually an RF217. One month into our annual snowbird trip and so far we love it. The nice part is we can count on it working unlike the Norcold.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
One month into our annual snowbird trip and so far we love it. The nice part is we can count on it working unlike the Norcold.
Mark,

Where are you snow-birding this winter? If you happen to be near us as we travel around the state of Florida, I would like to stop over to to say hello and see your Samsung fridge installation.

We went by the Cicero exit on I-81 a couple of times this fall and thought of you. No time to stop though.

We had spent the summer at Rainbow Lake outside of Saranac Lake / Lake Placid area and then I had a "Fall-Down" event up in Canada to attend where I help my Canadian friends and ex in-laws close up their camps for the season.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mark,

Where are you snow-birding this winter? If you happen to be near us as we travel around the state of Florida, I would like to stop over to to say hello and see your Samsung fridge installation.

We went by the Cicero exit on I-81 a couple of times this fall and thought of you. No time to stop though.

We had spent the summer at Rainbow Lake outside of Saranac Lake / Lake Placid area and then I had a "Fall-Down" event up in Canada to attend where I help my Canadian friends and ex in-laws close up their camps for the season.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Hi Richard,
We are currently in the Keys for two more weeks. Going to John Pennekamp SP tomorrow. After that Johnathan Dickinson SP in Hobe sound to visit with in laws for Christmas. Dec 26 back to Knights Key until April. Then two weeks at Bahia Honda SP. We stay way south where it stays warm. That was bad for the Norcold, Samsung doesn't mind.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Hi Richard,
We are currently in the Keys for two more weeks. Going to John Pennekamp SP tomorrow. After that Johnathan Dickinson SP in Hobe sound to visit with in laws for Christmas. Dec 26 back to Knights Key until April. Then two weeks at Bahia Honda SP. We stay way south where it stays warm. That was bad for the Norcold, Samsung doesn't mind.
We plan to be in the Everglades and the Keys for the last two weeks in January. We will make sure to stop at the Knights Key Campground either while staying at Fiesta Key Resort or on our way south or north while in Key West. Would like to meet and say hi. I would also like to see your Samsung RF217 installation.

I am still not convinced that I want to give up the storage cabinet located below my Norcold along with redoing all of the electrical that runs up through that compartment. The Amish unit is my plan A right now but after seeing your installation, I may change my mind.

We will be in the Keys between January 15 thru the 24th, so it will be sometime within those dates. I will not be dragging my trailer to the keys, only my car. I am leaving my trailer at the Rambler's Rest RV Resort where we are currently staying until January 12th. I will pick it up on the 29th as we head north to see more friends, a visit to FT Wilderness - Disney World, and then over to Flagler Beach for 2 months.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

I am still not convinced that I want to give up the storage cabinet located below my Norcold along with redoing all of the electrical that runs up through that compartment. The Amish unit is my plan A right now but after seeing your installation, I may change my mind.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If it is only storage you may be able to put the Samsung on the floor. That would really simplify the instal compared to ours. With the cold air return and central vac I could see no practical way other than lowering the shelf and having it up to the ceiling.

If it helps the decision any, with the Norcold the milk spoiled, with the Samsung it gives you an ice cream headache

I sent you a PM about Knight's Key BTW

Tags
norcold, recall