Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
ANOTHER Norcold Recall???

So, we just got the Norcold recall of about 1 year ago taken care of in our new-to-us Country Coach. TODAY, I got a notice about a recall. Another one? For the high temperature sensor that OMC just replaced in accordance with their previous recall??? Someone tell me I'm just confused . . .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad I have a Domedic.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
"You are just confused"

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
"You are just confused"

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Okay but I was kind of hoping for more details. Do you know if it's an additional recall or the old one resurfacing?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

There were 2 recalls for the same issue. The original sensor they used did not do the job so they are using a different temp sensor unit.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
Okay but I was kind of hoping for more details. Do you know if it's an additional recall or the old one resurfacing?
John, Here's a link to recall information for the Norcold refrigerators. "NORCOLD & DOMETIC RECALLS" & Service Manuals Norcold & Dometic

I have a Norcold 1200 refrigerator in my Winnebago Journey and became so fed up with all the recalls and potential fires that I decided to do something about it myself. Here is a short video of my replacement of the Norcold Cooling Unit with an Amish Built Cooling Unit. They are made out of 50% thicker wall tubing and DO NOT need any recall fixes.

Sammie
‪Norcold 1200 to Amish Cooling Unit Conversion.mpg‬‏ - YouTube
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John.
Get the information on the tag of the black box and call Norcold. I did, and they stated I had the latest and greatest modification. Peace of mind.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
One of the best things we did is get rid of that fire trap they install in our units and replace it with a residential fridge.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I'm glad I have a Domedic.
Glad mine has a home unit!!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #10

Sammie thanks for the inform on the cooling unit I'm thinking about buying one my cooling unit went out.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #11

We have a 1982 RV with a Norcold NC788 EG2 that works great! I can't find much info on it other than the few documents that came with our unit or any recall information. It works great on either gas or 120 Vac. I AM rather anal about keeping it and the stack clean, I prop the stack panel open when it gets warm and even run a fan there when it's hot out. It seems maybe they did make them right at one time but have gone with cheaper materials and/or parts to maximize profits over the years causing all the problems we read of here. Or am I wrong and got that one-in-a-thousand units that came out perfect??
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
We have a 1982 RV with a Norcold NC788 EG2 that works great! I can't find much info on it other than the few documents that came with our unit or any recall information. It works great on either gas or 120 Vac. I AM rather anal about keeping it and the stack clean, I prop the stack panel open when it gets warm and even run a fan there when it's hot out. It seems maybe they did make them right at one time but have gone with cheaper materials and/or parts to maximize profits over the years causing all the problems we read of here. Or am I wrong and got that one-in-a-thousand units that came out perfect??

It seems (to me) a lot of the problems started when the manufacturers went with all the electronics on the refrigerators... We also have owned older units with no problems and gave us years of service. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of all the electronics and computer controls that are being used today.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet that the reason why the OLDER Norcold units are still working fine without problems versus the newer style four door 12XX series units is that when Norcold switched to the four door units, they did NOT build a larger stronger cooling unit assembly to match the size needed for it to work correctly and efficiently. How many times have these units failed and then they replace it with the same type and those fail too. DUH!

The Amish built units were made and sized correctly for the Norcold 12XX series units. If you want to have the versatility of using LPG in addition to shore power to run your frig, buy and Amish cooling unit and you won't be sorry.

BUT, when installing the cooling unit, it has to be installed correctly without ANY air leaks and proper mastic applications in the all of the right places. Remember that these units are ABSORPTION refrigerators such that you need to have proper HEAT transfer and escape for it to work correctly and efficiently.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

I have 2006 Discovery with Norcold 1200 unit and am not happy with it's operation. I was thinking of replacing it with a residential unit but how do you get it inside? The door is only 26" wide and all the residential units I have looked at are much deeper than that. Of course maybe the amish cooling unit would be an answer.

Jack

Tags
norcold, recall