Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post

Major Samsung crisis .....
5:00 cocktail hour and Vodka is frozen. Forgot that we went shopping earlier and hit the power freeze button for the freezer. Now in a holding pattern!

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
HaHa that would never happen in a NotSoCold. Are thinking of reverting back?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj
Unfortunately, Atwood doesn't make these in sizes large enough to be competitors to the Norcold 1200 series.
Granted.....but there are literally thousands of new travel trailers, truck campers, tent trailers, small 5th Wheels, small Class A//B/Cs produced every year in which the Atwood 6 or 8cu would be a better choice than the "death trap" Dometic or Norcold alternative.....if, in fact, there is any truth to the "fire hazard" story? Common sense/logic suggests there is more to this story. If the Norcolds are actually defective and a so called "proven time bombs".......WHY do reputable manufacturers continue to use these as OEM and expose themselves to this liability and potentially reputation destroying refrigerators .......When there is a safer (helium) alternative? Hmmmmmmmmmm?.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #129

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Granted.....but there are literally thousands of new travel trailers, truck campers, tent trailers, small 5th Wheels, small Class A//B/Cs produced every year in which the Atwood 6 or 8cu would be a better choice than the "death trap" Dometic or Norcold alternative.....if, in fact, there is any truth to the "fire hazard" story? Common sense/logic suggests there is more to this story. If the Norcolds are actually defective and a so called "proven time bombs".......WHY do reputable manufacturers continue to use these as OEM and expose themselves to this liability and potentially reputation destroying refrigerators .......When there is a safer (helium) alternative? Hmmmmmmmmmm?.

When you are building RV'S for what most people use and want in there unit you give them what they want the most.
For people that stay in parks you give them one thing. For the people that go where there is no shore power you give them something else.

I think you will find that most RV buyers prefer to boondock the most.
holdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren View Post
When you are building RV'S for what most people use and want in there unit you give them what they want the most.
For people that stay in parks you give them one thing. For the people that go where there is no shore power you give them something else.

I think you will find that most RV buyers prefer to boondock the most.

I like to boondock, my wife likes the full hook-up, water, hair dryer, long showers, etc. need I Go on? We do both.
Let the dog decide!

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jack1234;2089897]Granted.....but there are literally thousands of new travel trailers, truck campers, tent trailers, small 5th Wheels, small Class A//B/Cs produced every year in which the Atwood 6 or 8cu would be a better choice than the "death trap" Dometic or Norcold alternative.....if, in fact, there is any truth to the "fire hazard" story? Common sense/logic suggests there is more to this story. If the Norcolds are actually defective and a so called "proven time bombs".......WHY do reputable manufacturers continue to use these as OEM and expose themselves to this liability and potentially reputation destroying refrigerators .......When there is a safer (helium) alternative? Hmmmmmmmmmm?.[QUOTE]

Jack,

Good question. I don't think it has to do with the notion that the recent fires do not constitute a "real issue". I think the answer may be that "common sense and logic" are not necessarily what sells product in the mass market. Dometic and Norcold have been highly recognized names for RV refrigerators for the past several decades. While both companies have faced recall issues for the past decade or more, this potential fire issue has not been widely known or understood until Norcold's relatively recent problems with the 1200 series (many of which are now aging in the market place). The market just doesn't move that quickly. Remember that these potential boiler break-downs (which is at the heart of the recall issue) is a condition that develops over time.

Coupled with that is the fact that the industry is now embracing residential refrigerators in larger mid-level motorhomes and even 5th wheelers, who's sales numbers far exceed the high-end motorhomes that have come with residential refrigerators for years. Of course Norcold's recent problems only serve to enhance this market shift away from absorption units altogether.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wanna bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
HaHa that would never happen in a NotSoCold. Are thinking of reverting back?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My not-so-cold, as you so often put it, stays right at -18F. That's 18 degrees colder than our POS residential noise box.

Not a big fan of hyperbole, or vodka.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #133

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Jack,

Good question. I think one answer may be that "common sense and logic" are not necessarily what sells product in the mass market. Dometic and Norcold have been highly recognized names for RV refrigerators for the past several decades. While both companies have faced recall issues for the past decade or more, this potential fire issue has not been widely known or understood until Norcold's relatively recent problems with the 1200 series (many of which are now aging in the market place). The market just doesn't move that quickly. Remember that these potential boiler break-downs (which is at the heart of the recall issue) is a condition that develops over time.

Coupled with that is the fact that the industry is now embracing residential refrigerators in larger mid-level motorhomes and even 5th wheelers, who's sales numbers far exceed the high-end motorhomes that have come with residential refrigerators for years. Of course Norcold's recent problems only serve to enhance this market shift away from absorption units altogether.
You are still in the minority of RV buyers. So manufacturers will keep building what most people want (supply and demand). If it works for you fine. But don't try and tell the majority what they want. Some day they may see it your way, but not in the near future.
holdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren View Post
You are still in the minority of RV buyers. So manufacturers will keep building what most people want (supply and demand). If it works for you fine. But don't try and tell the majority what they want. Some day they may see it your way, but not in the near future.
holdren,

Not sure why you think that I'm trying to tell anyone what they want. But with all due respect, I think that current market trends in RV refrigerators, which have just begun to change significantly in the last year or two, indicate that "the future" may be nearer than you think.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I like to boondock, my wife likes the full hook-up, water, hair dryer, long showers, etc. need I Go on? We do both.
Let the dog decide!
That's not fair. I'm sure the dog prefers boondocking. That makes it two against one.

Tags
norcold