Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
No Big Deal.

Enjoy your Norcold and go camping.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaroni View Post
Has there been a recall on this product or a safety bulletin? What year, make, model are you discussing?
Mostly the 1200 series, but also some older N600 and N800 as well.

See Norcold Recall , and do a search of iRV2 for loads of information.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Here's the Norcold 'Almost' Fire I discovered in my previous 2004 Itasca Horizon. The stack was 2" from the plywood. Unknown when the 'Almost' fire occurred. Do you suppose Winnebago treats their lauan plywood with a flame retardant??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorcoldAlmostFire0283.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	64942  
Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren View Post
Has anyone heard of a fire in a Norcold that was not in the recall? If not what is the big deal?

I think you answered your own question there?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Curious: are the residential fridges folks are installing certified by Samsung for RV use? Stick built homes don't bounce up and down a highway. Of interest is a residential fridge I purchased recently specifically states in he manual that it is not approved for use in an RV.

Just because an RV manufacturer installs a residential fridge does not mean that they gained approval from Samsung to do so.

I am also curious about warranty concerns if the RV is parked without AC running on a hot day. Many fridge manufacturers void warranties on those not specifically certified for use in a garage or outdoor kitchen due to the wild swings of hot and cold in a garage or outdoors. (There are specialty fridges for this purpose).

I'm sure they are fine...just curious of your owners manuals say anything about RV use.

I'm thinking if I ever switched out my fridge for residential it would be for one that is for garage or outdoor kitchen use as I mention - assuming the manufacturer will allow for a warranty in a mobile application.

Not challenging things - just not seeing this issue talked about and wonder...
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Curious: are the residential fridges folks are installing certified by Samsung for RV use? Stick built homes don't bounce up and down a highway. Of interest is a residential fridge I purchased recently specifically states in he manual that it is not approved for use in an RV.

Just because an RV manufacturer installs a residential fridge does not mean that they gained approval from Samsung to do so.

I am also curious about warranty concerns if the RV is parked without AC running on a hot day. Many fridge manufacturers void warranties on those not specifically certified for use in a garage or outdoor kitchen due to the wild swings of hot and cold in a garage or outdoors. (There are specialty fridges for this purpose).

I'm sure they are fine...just curious of your owners manuals say anything about RV use.

I'm thinking if I ever switched out my fridge for residential it would be for one that is for garage or outdoor kitchen use as I mention - assuming the manufacturer will allow for a warranty in a mobile application.

Not sure what certified means to Samsung, but here is a link to their warranty and owners manual.
http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances.../RF197ACRS/XAA

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

People have forgotten that residential fridges have been used in high end motorcoaches for years LONG before they became popular to install in low to mid-range RV's due mostly to the NotSoCold aka Norcold debacle.

Samsung is the ONLY manufacture who has stated that their fridge WILL run on a Modified Sine Wave Inverter plus they will warranty and service the fridge installed in an RV. I have had service on mine back in January 2013.

Samsung has made a small fortune and David Force of the Cooling Unit Warehouse has also whereas Norcold has lost a small fortune. You would have thought that Norcold would have stepped up to the plate and done something more than what they have which has been very little. They chose to install a band-aid High Temp Sensor to shut down the cooling unit when it gets too hot, yeah right! They even tried an earlier version before they came out with the current version. Some of those have even caught fire and totally destroyed the RV so their "fix" doesn't work.

What Norcold should have done is to re-engineer the cooling unit such that it would work and support the larger size models instead of trying to use one of their smaller cooling units from an older model.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think Samsungs are "Certified" for RV use. But it doesn't say it voids warranty either. If you are an average RV owner, and store your RV in winter, just make sure you warm up the interior of RV before using it. The same goes for your LCD or LED TV.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #79

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I have installed Whirlpool 10 cu ft units in many coaches. I had one in my previous coach and it worked flawlessly for 10 years and the new owner of that coach loves it.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #80

National RV Owners Club
I would also think about the negative results on resale value when installing a residential refrigerator. It is an option when buying.
Parks and resorts are nice. But sometimes I like to get away from it all.
holdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Samsung is the ONLY manufacture who has stated that their fridge WILL run on a Modified Sine Wave Inverter plus they will warranty and service the fridge installed in an RV. I have had service on mine back in January 2013.
Actually I think Fisher & Paykel may be the "ONLY one" really approved for use with a MSW inverter, given that they have their own inverter installed within the unit. However everyone seems to think that Samsung is the same. And, of course the reality is that there are hundreds (more likely thousands) of Samsung refrigerators (including mine) running with MSW inverters, seemingly without a problem whatsoever.

That said, I have to wonder just WHERE it is documented that the RF197 is approved to run on a MSW inverter. While everyone "says" it is, including RV dealers, I have never seen anyone provide a source in writing for that information. I have read both the owner's manual and the service manual and neither covers these points. I called and emailed Samsung technical support and they would not give me a straight answer concerning a MSW inverter. They referred me to a third party service firm who wasn't much interested in talking to me unless I actually needed service.

As for the warranty, while it is true that the warranty does not say that use in an RV voids the warranty, it also does not say that such use is covered. Samsung does not have their own service organization in the US but uses third party firms instead. I think it's really up to the individual service company. While some iRV2 members have reported that they have had warranty work performed in their RV, others have reported that service companies have refused to work on it, saying that it was not covered. Still others report having had to remove the unit from the RV before the service company would perform warranty work.

None of this makes me regret having installed an RF197 in my motorhome, or would prevent me from recommending it to others. I love our RF197 and believe that it is a wonderful upgrade to our Diplomat.

However, unless proven wrong, I now believe that whether or not a Samsung refrigerator is acturally "approved" for use in an RV, and/or "approved" for use with a MSW inverter, seems at best to be a murky question. I, for one, would sure like to see something in writing from Samsung on these issues. If anyone else has seen it in writing, please tell me where (and how to obtain a copy).
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #82

Robin,
There was a Samsung Q&A forum a while back. It was something corny like "Ask Mrs. Samsung" I don't know if it is still up on the web.
There were questions posted pertaining to RV use, MSW use, and installation. You might be able to find it via Google. I am on the road and have a slow connection.
If I remember correctly, Mrs Samsung said MSW was OK. I printed it and kept it in my Samsung file, but it is at home.

The refrigerator debate is entertaining. I am waiting to see the first post where someone says "I removed my Samsung RF197 and installed a Norcold 1200 series"

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
The refrigerator debate is entertaining. I am waiting to see the first post where someone says "I removed my Samsung RF197 and installed a Norcold 1200 series".
Can't wait for that! A few of us have perfectly good working Norcolds for those who want to change back.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a Cut & Paste from the Samsung Q&A Section on the RF197.

"Modified sine wave

Will your electronically controlled refrigerators such as RF197ACRS run properly on 120VAC 60hz MSW(Modified Sine Wave) electricity?

asked 4 years ago
sunpenland
on 18 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator

Answer this Question

Thank you for your question. The modified sine wave should not be an issue since the refrigerator's power supply rectifies the voltage to DC.

- Ms. Samsung"

This was one of the first questions asked about 4 years ago.

You can read all of the 97 questions and answers HERE.

Since answering the one above posted over 4 years ago you will read many other questions in regards to installing this fridge in a motohome where Ms. Samsung's response is that they do not recommend it due to power interruption problems and extreme temperatures that the fridge could sustain when in storage.

My power is never interrupted and R HOME is never in storage.

My Samsung works great and I expect it to continue with many years to come.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
norcold