Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #99

The problem is that 1 specific model had all these problems. I think everyone can agree that the 1200LR is what started the whole mess to begin with. Unfortunately, as other posters have mentioned, is that all absorption refrigerators are instantly assumed to also be problematic. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the 1200 did have it's fair share of issues. One of which was the inability to keep a good consistent temperature due to a variety of things that don't merit mentioning in this thread. Did the 1200 cause many coaches to burn to the ground? Yes indeed it did, I don't think there is any argument from anybody on that. Likewise, there have been an exponentially greater number of units which have burnt to the ground from a faulty furnace, faulty converter, generator fires, etc etc. In many layouts a lot of electronics, controllers, even the AC/DC load center and/or furnaces are placed in the dead space under the refrigerator. Once anything in there goes up the refrigerator is next. A picture of a burnt coach appears which certainly looks like the refrigerator went up when it may very well have been something under the refrigerator.

My heart goes out to those whom have lost their units to these 1200's. Honestly though, in comparison, how many other posts can you find where a non-1200 unit was proven to have started a fire?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
The devil is in the details, here is a quote from one of the class action attorneys website.

"These refrigerators have caused OR CONTRIBUTED to at least 2,000 fires since 1999." [Emphasis added]
http://www.seegerweiss.com/news/norc...#ixzz34BitAcV3

If you call the office and get to actually talk to someone knowledgable about this they will tell you they have about 250 proven fires caused by the splitting of the cooling tubes. There are another 900 or so that are suspicious but the actual cause is not determinable but the bursting of the cooling tubes, wether it happened first or later on contributed to the fires. There have been another 900 or so that the fire started in or around the refrigerator before the tubes burst. The susquentant fire caused the cooling tubes to burst which contributed to the intensity of the fire.

So those 2,000 fires can NOT be attributed solely to the Norcold. But this is how all of those internet rumors get started and blown out of porportion.
Using the so called "research" or "facts" gathered by these bloodsucking, greedy, class actions Attorneys is really no argument at at. These class action suits are less about facts and more about convincing a jury.
I see dozens of ads everyday about products used by people everyday. Statistics are manipulated, and assumptions are made. This is how they make a living. Nothing matters to them except winning the suit.
I've noted more than a few times some posters using "facts" and insinuations from these class action lawyers to back up their position.
Yes, the units under recall have a lousy fix. But a very small percentage of these units have had a problem. In don't know how long these big double door domestic have been out, but I'd be willing to be the demand for bigger and better brought about bigger units with undersized, cooling units.
Maybe a good solution is to downsize the refrigerator? Seem like the older smaller ones never had problems.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just curious. Seems like many of you have a good understanding of why the Norcold units are likely to catch fire. Please provide details of the why and what actually could be done to prevent the fire danger from your perspective. Is it the corrosion of the coils that eventually start leaking? Is it excessive heat that is generated in an attempt to cool the larger unit? A combination of the two?

If the problems are consistent then why is there not an absolute solution other than a complete replacement with a residential unit?
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Just curious. Seems like many of you have a good understanding of why the Norcold units are likely to catch fire. Please provide details of the why and what actually could be done to prevent the fire danger from your perspective. Is it the corrosion of the coils that eventually start leaking? Is it excessive heat that is generated in an attempt to cool the larger unit? A combination of the two?

If the problems are consistent then why is there not an absolute solution other than a complete replacement with a residential unit?
The problems are not consistent, that is part of the problem. The recall box can malfunction and shut off your refer rendering it useless. The best solution is getting a "Amish" cooling unit. I don't think I would never allow the recall box to be installed. I don't know how factual this is, but there have been many reports on this site about some one who knew some one who had a fire and had the recall already installed.
Just the inconvenience of the fix shutting down the refer would be more than I would be willing to put up with.
Fortunately, I was lucky enough not buy a MH that already had a new Amish unit installed. Mine works well. People just tend to think they can use these like they do a residential refer, and of course you can't.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #103

Having reached 67 yrs of age, I have learned a thing or two about my life. Probably the most important is avoiding problems when I can--keeping things simple. We changed out our 4 door Norcold for a Samsung 197 counter model, and I am very glad we did. Besides the fear of a fire (being a worrier is not a choice based in logic, but it can be a tremendous drain on precious energy and a positive outlook on life) there was also our Norcold's poor performance, and intermittent malfunctions. So it was an easy choice. Was it logical? Maybe not, but it does make sense to me to remove those distractions in my life that I can. I also felt a burden to protect my wife and other family members who from time to time visit us and stay for a few days. I ask myself how I would feel if a loved one was injured because I took no action that could have stopped the danger. However slight the impossible to know percentages might be, just how would I feel? My way is just that--my way--and I am not knocking any others' decisions. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
The devil is in the details, here is a quote from one of the class action attorneys website.

"These refrigerators have caused OR CONTRIBUTED to at least 2,000 fires since 1999." [Emphasis added]
Norcold Refrigerator Lawsuit

If you call the office and get to actually talk to someone knowledgable about this they will tell you they have about 250 proven fires caused by the splitting of the cooling tubes. There are another 900 or so that are suspicious but the actual cause is not determinable but the bursting of the cooling tubes, wether it happened first or later on contributed to the fires. There have been another 900 or so that the fire started in or around the refrigerator before the tubes burst. The susquentant fire caused the cooling tubes to burst which contributed to the intensity of the fire.

So those 2,000 fires can NOT be attributed solely to the Norcold. But this is how all of those internet rumors get started and blown out of porportion.
That link is one of the sites I read. It went on to say "Norcold was aware of such risk and acknowledged the defect, as evidenced by their 2006 press release. In that statement, Norcold noted, “We first became aware of the problem when we saw an unusually high number of cooling-unit failures coming back from the field and a few minor incidents reported . . . Through analysis we were able to determine the defect occurred as a result of an engineering change made to the cooling unit.”

So let's face it, call it a rumor or call it fact, Norcold has known for a while there was a problem with them. The cooling tubes in ours split and caused no harm. As I said we did not replace it due to fire danger, it just never worked correctly. The biggest disaster we had was never being able to keep a gallon of milk until it was gone without it spoiling. I actually found out about the fires "rumor" after we replaced ours with a residential.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

There are a few members of this forum that consistently want to disclaim what most of us already realize along with the very unfortunate ones that have had their Norcold fridge go up in flames.

These members should know by now that they are the minority. They are always welcome to post their opinions regarding the fact that they LOVE their NotSoCold but they will never convince those of us that have had their rigs burn to the ground in 5 minutes that it was some other device or reason why the RV is toast. Even the manufacture has admitted the fact that their product is crap.

However, it is hard to ignore the fact that more and more people are converting to residential fridges in their RV's for many other reasons than just the fire potential. I did because I was tired of throwing out spoiled food and also throwing lots of money at the fridge trying to get it to work correctly. I spent 9 years and finally said screw this.

It is also a fact that RV manufacturers are installing more residential fridges in the rigs as STANDARD equipment and offering the RV fridge as an expensive option.

People will die if they ever tried to remove my Samsung from my home.

Enough said!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #106

Dr4film,

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best upgrade we ever did!
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #107

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Frank and Richard- very good thoughts!
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #108

1st project for me was install an Amish cooling unit. I can sleep at night now.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #109

Had a few friends help me get the Norcold out of the coach last night and the Samsung in. Now I am thinking if I want to take the wheels off or not and how to secure it?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #110

I chose not to tell my wife about the Norcold "history" when we bought our coach used, but I did have the recall work done. It gave me "some" peace of mind. Then, on a camping trip (with 3 full days left) the box tripped. I could have bypassed it or reset it. When the box tripped (not known precisely when, just noticed at some point fridge had no power) I went around to the outside and felt the coils/tubing. They were HOT. I didnt have my IR temp gauge, but I couldn't hold them. At that moment I realized that my conscious would NOT allow me to let my wife and children sleep in a coach with a Norcold 1200 in it. PERIOD.

I purchased block ice for the remainder of our trip and converted my Norcold into an ice box.

Installed my Samsung 197 myself and am amazed at how much extra space there is, how much ice it makes, and how superior it is in getting and maintaining cold. No looking back. If I were concerned about increased energy use I would add an AGS.

Just my experience. To each his own.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
1st project for me was install an Amish cooling unit. I can sleep at night now.
Nice unit, mine worked well!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really?

You're sitting on top of a rolling bomb with several miles of high current 12v wiring that was installed by drunk monkeys. You have up to 100+ gallons of fuel, plus propane. Perhaps you have other miscellaneous combustibles stored in containers all over the place? Maybe you smoke? Maybe you've taken the battery out of the smoke detector, you know, the one that goes off every time you cook. Certainly you use other appliances that can and do catch fire. I'm thinking microwave ovens, toasters, coffee makers, BBQ's, computers etc. All of which yearly cause far more fires than absorption refers will in a hundred years.

And yet you think a quart or two of ammonia and hydrogen is an unacceptable risk?

Statistics do not lie. 251 known fires caused by refers, while regrettable, remains insignificant compared to the number of refers in use and the risk presented by other appliances.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold