Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

Another Question

we lost shore power the other night,In our 1997 Damon Intruder is it suppose to switch over to the battery system automaticaly or did i need to switch it over myself,still new at this.
Thanks in Advance for any help
Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

I think there are many variations on how different coaches are wired but on mine the inverter has to be switched on via the remote panel for automatic switch over. Sometimes this is desired and sometimes not.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The batteries are not a substitute for shore power unless you have a large inverter and a good sized battery bank. Your generator is the back-up for shore power and you have to start it your self. However, the house loads will probably shift from shore to genset automatically as soon as it comes up to speed. However, some coaches do not have an automatic transfer switch and require that you plug the shore cord into a generator outlet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #4

Batteries

Thanks Gary ,i went to the Genie when we lost power,but im still a little confused,i have the batteries under the steps,are they only for the slide,Ive been trying to read up on these things as i go along plus ask alot of questions here.LOL
Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You have a lot of things in the coach that are powered by 12v, e.g. all the lighting, water pump, the controllers for the fridge and water heater, furnace fan, etc. Not just the slides. The 12v power is provided from two sources: (1) The battery(s) under the step and (2) the converter/charger. No switchover is needed - both are online at all times. However, the converter/charger produces power only when 120v power is available from the shore cord or the generator. If neither is active, the battery is the sole remaining 12v source.

You probably have a house battery disconnect switch by the entry door somewhere. It can physically disconnect the batteries from the circuit. This switch should stay in the ON position except when storing the coach without a shore power connection. It is used to reduce battery power loss in longer term storage.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Multiple answers to your question.. First: What is your converter/power distribution, on a 77 I'm not sure what they were using (My Intruder is newer, 2005 newer).

Magnetek used to have a combination converter/charger, there were two 12 volt outlets, one red, one blue, and a relay inside, when 120 volt power was lost the relay switched the 12 volt systems over to battery, if, that is, the batteries were both charged and connected.

More modern converters the battery and converter are in parallel.. They do not "Switch over" at all, if the batteries are connected (USE mode on some switches) then the batteries are already there, in parallel and they automatically provide power.. but it is not switched, it is just there.

120 volt systems:

Some RV, mine for example, have inverters, either after market or factory installed, On these SOME of the 120 volt circuits MAY switch automatically depending on the inverter.. Others you switch manually.

Mine .. the TV won't even blink the Prosine takes over that fast (Think Uninterpretable Power Supply on Steroids). But again, the unit has to be enabled and connected or that to work (There are multiple switches that control it)

OF course this all pre-supposes the batteries are good.

One of the most common issues with RVs is bad battery connections, they need cleaning at least annually, if not twice that.