Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

My x wife was all set on a bunkhouse rv, she had 3 kids 6-10 yrs old back then if I recall

We looked at a few that she wanted (Bunks) and also a few that I preferred (non bunkhouse), we ended up getting a non bunkhouse rv. Yes had to pull out the couch and J sofa plus fold the table down so we had their 3 beds..... however when not sleeping we had a LOT more usable space. Also had lots of room when friends or family crashed with us.

Good and bad with any setup, whatever you get they (kids) will adapt and as stated if more room or private space is wanted, tent/outside
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #16

Another revelation after a trip to a dealer.. kids in Class A's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Stop overthinking this. Kids adapt.

This guy nailed it. We are a family of 4 in a 38' diesel pusher. One kid on the couch, one on the floor.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from the Vista 35B bunkhouse to the Discovery 40G bunkhouse DP. We have a 10 year old and he loves the bunk area for himself. Mom and I love it to because when he goes to sleep or even just to hang out he is in own space and we have the salon to watch tv and hang out. Our previous rv’s were not bunk houses and it was a pain because when he went to sleep by lowering the kitchen table we would have to find a place for ourselves. Ok to go outside but every night is not perfect to do that. We did the bunk house for ourselves as parents to make our lives more enjoyable. I didn’t like the bed over the cab because I am over 6’ and would keep hitting my head on it and that still meant we would need to be quiet for awhile till he went to sleep because the bed is still in the salon area. The benefit of the bed over is that they are bigger than a bunk bed and will be more comfortable when the child get older.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have a Class A motorhome with bunk beds and not only do the kids love it for their space, but we love it for their space. Not only does the couch not have to get made up daily to be a bed, which means we don't get forced into the bedroom to watch TV or read, we also don't have to worry about their stuff meandering to the front of the coach. The dog likes the lower bunk as well. It's a nice window to look out of when the blind is open. Oh and it can be converted into a large closet as necessary.

To each their own and buy what you like. But this works for us.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #19

look for a used FR Legacy BH or Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #20

thanks all. Lots of good points to consider
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
3. Forget the kid - get what we want and throw him on the couch..
Assuming these are not long (many months) trips/not full time, he'll likely consider it an adventure and go with whatever he gets. As he gets older he'll make his needs for privacy known, and then you can accommodate them as they arise.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #22

Please don't consider anything less than a 45 foot coach pulling an enclosed trailer to serve as a bonus room fir the kids. Said coach should also have a minimum of 4 slide outs with each kid having thier own dedicated slide out. As a bonus, consider an individual television, gaming system, and climate control system for each child.
Anything less will certainly scar your children for years (probably decades) to come and will burden you with a lifetime of guilt for not providing "the best" for your children.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Please don't consider anything less than a 45 foot coach pulling an enclosed trailer to serve as a bonus room fir the kids. Said coach should also have a minimum of 4 slide outs with each kid having thier own dedicated slide out. As a bonus, consider an individual television, gaming system, and climate control system for each child.
Anything less will certainly scar your children for years (probably decades) to come and will burden you with a lifetime of guilt for not providing "the best" for your children.
Good point I will need room for the nanies and chef
Old 01-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
Good point I will need room for the nanies and chef
We put the chef's room in the basement. Works because he's a bit short.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have also tried to find some decent bunk bed options, as when we travel about 50% of the time we have 1->3 adults (grown daughters/fiance) with us for a leg or two of the trips.

We make it work with the fold out couch and a floor air mattress, but bunks in theory appear desirable.

Limited models in the Entegra/Newmar/Tiffin lineups. I'm surprised there's not more demand than there is.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #26

bunks

FWIW My son has a 2008 Damon with the bunk arrangement and 2 girls under 14 years of age and they love the bunks. When we go racing him and I. I use the lower bunk and am quite comfortable and he and I have are own space to read or whatever. When he and the family go they also feel the same. My vote is bunk beds.
Just my 2 cents
Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #27

Yeah I feel like I need either bunks or the loft bed deal. If I find a great deal on something else then we may have to manage. Anything will be a huge step up from our 24’er

Tags
class a, dealer