Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Another Tire Question

So our new RV has 245/70R19.5 tires. As no one can determine how old these tires are and with signs of dry rot and cracking I want to replace them. I have been trying to find places to get tires and it is very limited in my area. The only RV center that deals with tires this size cant even return phone calls so I have located 2 different commercial truck places that gave me prices on commercial tires. So...I am looking for opinions on switching to the commercial tire vs a RV style tire. As this is 6 tires I am cringing at the cost and would like to save some money if I can. I have gotten quotes on Michilan XZE and a Goodyear 661. Both appear to be a good tire. He also gave me a quote on a Dunlop but don't recall the model. What have others done ?

I really need to get 6 next week as we are scheduled to head to Poconos the following weekend and I'm a bit nearvous.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Not sure where you're located so people can't help with suggestions for locations to try.

As far as cost......be thankful you only have the 19.5" wheels and not the " Big Boy" tires on the 22.5" rims. Now there's sticker shock for replacement. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Samson

I put 6 New Samson Tires on Mine. $1200 mounted all balanced and installed. I have over 6000 miles on them and no problems. Many truckers use them in their size without problems. Yes they are made in China. I have used china made tires for years. The only blowouts and tire problems I have had in almost 50 years of rving with all types of RV's has been american tires. Never had a problem with so called China Bombs. Let the nay sayers begin!!!
Mel
Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

I had that size Goodyears on my last coach. I replaced them with Sumitomos which gave a much better ride.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

just replaced 10 yr old goodyears on my 07 hurricane,no sidewall cracks or dry rot however with only 15000 miles fronts were starting to cup.Did quite a bit of home work and went with hankooks,never thought the goodyears drove bad,immetiate improvement with the hankooks. Price was $305.00 ea. mounted and spun balanced .
Old 07-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Simple Tires on the internet has very good prices and will ship you tires, you will just have to take it somewhere to be installed so you have to find a shop and get a price for this to see if the total costs is competitive. Since you can't find tires locally this may be an option

https://simpletire.com/
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Thanks. Don't have enough time to order online as I need them by next Friday. Guess my question was more of RV or truck tires for folks. The RV version of each tire I priced was almost $100 more than the truck version. Think i'll stick in the middle and get the Goodyears if the shop can get them in time.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered 6 Sampsons that size from simpletire.com and got them 2 days later and am very pleased with them.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
Thanks. Don't have enough time to order online as I need them by next Friday. Guess my question was more of RV or truck tires for folks. The RV version of each tire I priced was almost $100 more than the truck version. Think i'll stick in the middle and get the Goodyears if the shop can get them in time.
I'm in the camp that says don't fall for the fallacy that the so-called "RV tires" are so much better than a good all-position truck tire. There are huge numbers of us who have replaced our Michelins and Goodyear RV tires (those are the two major brands that market specifically an "RV tire"} with a good truck tire from Toyo, Bridgestone, Sumitomo, Hankook, Yokohama, etc., etc. ...even some are having good luck with the Chinese truck tires but if choosing a tire from a Chinese manufacturer, stick with names that have been around for awhile like DoubleCoin, Sailun, Hercules, Aeolus, and Samson. Don't go too cheap or with names that commercial truckers have never heard of. Some on this forum will not consider a Chinese tire but others have had very good service from them as well as those in the trucking industry.

Some prominent arguments for spending the premium prices for "RV tires" from Michelin and Goodyear are they supposedly have more UV-protection (a possible fallacy as many have had problems with RV tires deteriorating and cracking from possible UV exposure) and also some claim that the "RV tire" will give a more comfortable ride but that is also disputable as there are many satisfied Toyo, Hankook, Bridgestone, etc. users that are very satisfied with the ride. Also, there are many who use the argument that "RV tires" are safer and want to buy "only the best" when it comes to protecting their family and RV investment.

I really don't want to sound as if I'm bashing the people who subscribe to all these reasons but it's just that I personally don't think it's worth paying a premium price for something that lasts just as long or longer, gives a ride that is just about as comfortable, and is just as safe. So again, you have to make the choice for yourself.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
So our new RV has 245/70R19.5 tires. As no one can determine how old these tires are and with signs of dry rot and cracking I want to replace them.

I really need to get 6 next week as we are scheduled to head to Poconos the following weekend and I'm a bit nervous.
ALL tires have a "born" date on them, they may be on the inside of the tire but they ARE there!
Personally I use nothing but Michelin tires on all my vehicles. In the 55+ years I've been driving I've never had a Michelin problem. The only blowout I've had was a GoodYear on a Jeep.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

We all get into a comfort groove when making choices. Some are comfortable with the cheapest tire they can find. Then they convince themselves that it is just as good as the top-of-the-line tire. Many get by that way without a problem. My comfort groove is with Michelin or Goodyear. Those are the tires that have served me best over the years in our business keeping 25-30 service and heavy crane trucks on the road. For me, price isn't a factor when selecting a tire that will carry my wife and me across the country in our motorhome. You just have to find your comfort groove and hope it is good enough.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
So our new RV has 245/70R19.5 tires. As no one can determine how old these tires are and with signs of dry rot and cracking I want to replace them.
kb2ztx
The date of manufacture is on one or the other of the sidewalls of every tire.
However it may be on the backside of of the tire and a little difficult to find, see and read.
Mel
'96 Safari

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

They are all "truck tires"; some of them just advertise RV use more or include "RV" somewhere on the label. Don't get trapped into thinking you need something special for your RV. Any commercial tire rated for Regional Delivery or Long Haul (Over-the-road) service will do fine.

All modern tires have UV protection built in and are built to the same approximate life span (about 10 years max). The Tire & Rubber Mfg Association has engineering standards that pretty well assure that.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #14

I can share that we had the XZE tire on our 40' Tag coach for 6 1/2 years. They are a beefy tire, and I feel saved us on blow out when we could not avoid a deep pot hole in California with a sharp edge. We had one cord break, and on the other tire we had a slipped cord. We drove almost 1K more on those two damaged tires, slowly and monitoring bubble sidewall size (marked with yellow marker) until we could find two replacements. (Tire shortage that year, and 12R 22.5 have limited number of tires available.)

The sales manager at TCI Tire Center, and two of his seasoned staff, looked over the two tires. (Tag and outside Drive on the passenger side of the coach.) All said that good probability a lesser tire would have blown, especially the one with the ripped chord. And they also commented that the XZE may provide a bit stiffer ride, they do due to sidewall meat on the tires, but they also provided an added safety edge.

On my set, no sings of cracking tires after 6 1/2 years. I use Aerospace 303 on a regular maintenance schedule.

I would not hesitate to put on another set if the was what is available.

And yes, do check the age of the tires before agreeing to having them installed.

Travel safe,
Smitty