Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #1

Another tire thread

Anyone running Samson tires in 22.5 size? If so any info on them.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
My RV has 19.5 wheels, but I've used a couple of Samson tires and I'm happy with them. You'll find Samson tires in about any truck stop and no stories of them being substandard or any major flaws.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
My tire guys says they are Made in China crap.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
No prejudice there!! Samson sells a lot of tires to the trucking, busing, and off road equipment industries. While the question about Samson is asked by many folks in many forums for trucks, RVs, Farm equipment, other than replies like the 'tire guys' above, very little negative about the brand. Most like the price, getting a full set of 6 tires for a fraction of the cost of 'Americun' brands.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
In all the threads I have read on here and other sites, the trucking reference is always thrown out there? We are talking about MH's here! Not Trucking! Just to set the record straight, in trucking, there are different kinds? Over -the -road, off road, short haul, etc. The off road and the short haul can run Samson tires, as they will likely use them up before wear is a issue! OTR is a different story, as most want to get over 100,000 to 300,000 miles out of their tires! So wear is a big issue! I ran OVR for 35+ years, and saw many of my friends try the less expensive and foreign brands, and most were buying new again after 50,000 to 75,000 miles! With that said, they will be a perfect match for MH use! Most MH will not put 50,000 to 75,000 miles on their coach's before the tires age out! As long as they balance out, and are not out of round, when installed, they will be fine! You can tell the dealer that is selling you these tires, that, If they have to have more than 4 oz's weight to balance out, try another one! After all, you are the one paying for them! And check the out of round thing too when they are spin balancing them! As long as you get a good set, they will age out before you put enough miles on them to matter! You still have to keep a very close eye on them, like any other tire! My opinion! Rail!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
I really didn't want one of those friend of a friends friend report. Was looking for actual real world users. Tire guys are like rv salesmen what they sell they are going to push and everything else is garbage.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not have samsons yet, but will before summer. For six months I have read every review that I can find on the web. For people who actually have them, satisfaction rate is better than Michelin.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

My cousin has a 40' 2006 Vantana and he put 6 on his rig over a year ago and has put close to 10k miles on them without a problem. They used the beads for balancing.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had Samson's but have used GT and Cooper which are both Chinese made. They provided great service at a great price point.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Have them on the drive axle in the 19.5 and have put about 10,000 on them so far with no problems. Great tire for the price and agree that they will age out before they wear out!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

Smile Samson tires

2009 HR Neptune 35SBD 340 cummins allison 6

had some issues with my steering/tracking and found out that I had severe runout in my goodyears (22.5) None of the six were suable on the front 2 New tires would have been approx. 1200 installed, balance etc.

My repair shop suggested Samsons so I did about 2 weeks research on anything I could find and decided to proceed. Tires were installed and off I went, Definately a better ride and no steering issues however they had used balancing beads and there was a slight shimmy from 60 -67 the cure was to spin balance in lieu of beads, all was cured, no further issues.

To date I have about 8K miles on them with no issues, about 8 non-stop 450 mile trips @ 67mph (my MH happy zone) and some 360 all fully loaded

My remaining 4 good years are showing their age (1308) and I am about ready to replace them (probably next year when I go almost full time) I will definately replace all with Samsons

I like them

Michael
Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #12

I forgot to add in be sure to get the GL283-A / double Eagle/coin.. I may have the numbers wrong as I am not near the motorhome or my files and I never have to give them too much attention only air adjust and shine
Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am running load range F Michelin XRV (new in November 2012) on my rear and a Chinese made Load Range G (ply rating) Gladiator on the front that were installed by the PO in 2009.

The higher load range and the non RV design for the Gladiators make them extremely bumpy and hard tires. I can't wait to put the XRV's on the front, which will be next year (2016) as I will not run the Chinese Gladiators any longer than 7 years.

The Michelins are quiet and extremely comfortable no doubt due to the lower load range (F) as specified by the manufacturer. Everyone says 'why not go to a higher load range tire, they are cheaper and carry more' well, I say, 'that's not what was specified by the manufacturer and they don't ride anywhere near as smooth as the LR-F tires'

Tires are a touchy issue here. For me, its Michelin XRV (designed and built for RV's) 19.5 tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&tireModel=XRV

I know the Samsons and other truck tires will work just fine, I have them on my front end, but I'll not out of choice replace them. Yes, I know they are about 200 cheaper per tire, but I'm still staying with the Michelins. I've had the best luck with Michelins over the last 35 years than any other tire and so far that continues. I know many folks are anti-Michelin but not me.

This is a link to the Gladiators I have on the front, great tires, and very cheap. They DO have a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer too. That's another plus. If they came in the right load range (F) for my coach, I might think twice about it, but since they don't, I'm staying with my 19.5 XRV LR-F.

Gladiator QR55-ST ALL POSITION 225/70R19.5 G/14PR - tires-easy.com
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

This is a link to the Gladiators I have on the front, great tires, and very cheap. They DO have a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer too. That's another plus. If they came in the right load range (F) for my coach, I might think twice about it, but since they don't, I'm staying with my 19.5 XRV LR-F.

Gladiator QR55-ST ALL POSITION 225/70R19.5 G/14PR - tires-easy.com
I'm looking at Gladiators also and they do make a load range F. Look at Simpletire.com

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote