Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Another tire thread.....advice please

Hello-

I have a 2011 Fleetwood Storm/F53 chassis with 225/70R19.5 tires. The stamp on the sidewalls say they were manufactured in late 2010. In 2017 after my RV sits in storage all winter, I plan on replacing the tires per what I've read on this forum and others. The tires look great on the outside with plenty of tread left (33,000 miles), but from what I understand 7 year old tires, no matter how good they look on the outside, are candidates for replacement.

1) Are there tire chains or tire installer companies that exist nationwide (or in the midwest) where I can call for quotes on replacement? Discount Tire and a couple of other places I have called in our area don't even sell tires this size. Do I have to call truck repair establishments?

2) Roughly how much can I expect to spend to replace/mount, etc., 6 tires? Again, no one in my area has prices except Camping World and their quote seemed REALLY high.

3) I currently have Continental tires and they seem fine with me. Are there particular tire brands in this RV category that are generally considered better than others, or is this question similar to asking someone if they like Coke or Pepsi better?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #2

You can go to simple tire .com and get a good idea on tire prices.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

If you join FMCA you have access to Michelin Advantage program which gets you a discount of about 100 bucks a tire. They will also point you to a deal that honors the FMCA membership. I just had 8 tires mounted for $360 which I bought from Discount Tire. The FMCA recommended dealer need 5-7 days and I had to have them in 3, so I went with Discount who had them in the next day, but they could not mount them. I'm told they should have never sold them to me in the first place.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I assume you meant www.tires.com? I tried that site. There was no selection for the 225/70R19.5 tires. 19.5 isn't a choice. Am I missing a link or selection choice somewhere?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.sherwin View Post
If you join FMCA you have access to Michelin Advantage program which gets you a discount of about 100 bucks a tire. They will also point you to a deal that honors the FMCA membership. I just had 8 tires mounted for $360 which I bought from Discount Tire. The FMCA recommended dealer need 5-7 days and I had to have them in 3, so I went with Discount who had them in the next day, but they could not mount them. I'm told they should have never sold them to me in the first place.
Thanks very much for that info. I'd been debating whether or not to join the FMCA, but decided not to as their forum wasn't very active. This might push me over the edge to join. I'll check the organization out and take a look at that program.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Thanks very much for that info. I'd been debating whether or not to join the FMCA, but decided not to as their forum wasn't very active. This might push me over the edge to join. I'll check the organization out and take a look at that program.
It's only if you want the michelins. Don't you have like a big o tires or less Schwab tires? They have those rv tires...for the 22.5 sizes I paid 2500 with true balancing for Toyo out the door. For 19.5 it's about the same ...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not really, since you have to add in a substantial amount for FET, shipping, and dealer installation. You can figure that out, of course, but just looking up a price at https://simpletire.com/ will lead the unsuspecting to believe the prices are much lower than you should expect.

Quote:
I assume you meant www.tires.com? I tried that site.
No, that is not Simpletire.com
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do I have to call truck repair establishments?
Not truck repair establishments, commercial truck tire dealers. Google something like 'commercial truck tire' or 'RV tire dealer' and you should find several in your area. Or use michelinrvtire.com or goodyearrvtire.com (and similar for several other brands0 to locate a dealer for that brand.

Continentals are fine - I have them on my rear axles. Toyos on the front. Michelin & GY are too pricey for my budget. You should also consider Firestone, BF Goodrich (a Michelin brand), Sumitomo, Yokohoma, and Hankook, to name a few. And no, those Asian-sounding brands are not "China bombs" - they are internationally respected tire companies.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Most Tire Dealers can order the tires in any size and have them within a week or less. I got mine at GCR Commercial truck tires they are all over the USA They ordered mine because I wanted Samson. I got the in 2 days. Mounted balanced and installed $1100 out the door for 6 tires in that size. They had other brands in stock for more money almost twice as much.
Mel_B
Old 09-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
It's only if you want the michelins. Don't you have like a big o tires or less Schwab tires? They have those rv tires...for the 22.5 sizes I paid 2500 with true balancing for Toyo out the door. For 19.5 it's about the same ...
Thanks Wills. I did a Google Map search on Schwab Tires, and nothing came up nor have I heard of the company. Big O Tires I have heard of before, but we don't have them, either. However, my Google Map search came up with National Tire and Battery, which apparently is associated with Big O. I didn't even think to call them. Thanks for that info!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not truck repair establishments, commercial truck tire dealers. Google something like 'commercial truck tire' or 'RV tire dealer' and you should find several in your area. Or use michelinrvtire.com or goodyearrvtire.com (and similar for several other brands0 to locate a dealer for that brand.

Continentals are fine - I have them on my rear axles. Toyos on the front. Michelin & GY are too pricey for my budget. You should also consider Firestone, BF Goodrich (a Michelin brand), Sumitomo, Yokohoma, and Hankook, to name a few. And no, those Asian-sounding brands are not "China bombs" - they are internationally respected tire companies.
Good info as usual. Thanks Gary. Will do all of those things.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Most Tire Dealers can order the tires in any size and have them within a week or less. I got mine at GCR Commercial truck tires they are all over the USA They ordered mine because I wanted Samson. I got the in 2 days. Mounted balanced and installed $1100 out the door for 6 tires in that size. They had other brands in stock for more money almost twice as much.
Mel_B
Thanks mhbell. That company is all over the US....except near me : ( I'll give them a call, though, when I start calling around for quotes to see if their price is worth the drive.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #13

Look around your area for a truck tire dealer.
I too checked out simpletire.com pricing. Compared that to a local truck tire dealer, who quoted pricing that included mounting, balancing, installation. By the time I added up simpletire price, freight, installation, balancing, mounting, and ease of warranty claim; I decided to buy locally-when I replace my MH tires.
BTW, when in storage, keep your tires inflated to sidewall listed pressure to minimize tire stress from sitting in one position for months.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
How do you like those Toyo tires, by the way?

Tags
ada, advice