Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Another Victim of Beaumont TX. Freightliner

I posted a warning a while back about these cat's. To bad Linda didn't see it before she took her Class A there. She contacted me via email after she saw my review. Here's her story: Heres another warning to all........
I had seen your review on Freightliner Bmt. and thought to myself wow we sure have something in common. I did take my RV to Freightliner Beaumont on 2/27/15 and picked it up on 5/30/15. I had a horrible experience and that's putting it mildly. I've been researching RV repair shops and hear so many complaints that I'm afraid to take it anywhere. I'm trying to build a network of referrals from other RV owners so I can have my RV serviced without fear. I see RV's everywhere they are getting so popular and it shocks me that RV owners are not treated better in an effort to earn our business. Thanks for the references. If you feel like a sit down read I've highlighted my experience below. About Freightliner and my experience: The Freightliner in Beaumont is part of the Oasis Network. Here is the description of that from their website. "The Freightliner Oasis Network is made up of more than 90 select dealerships in North America and is growing. Each service location has a dedicated motorhome facility with trained motorhome service technicians, a motorhome service area, secure parking for motorhome customers and additional amenities specifically for motorhome owners. The Freightliner Oasis Network is tailored to the motorhome customer. The network of dealers is dedicated to providing service to exceed motorhome customers' needs. The Oasis Network is part of the Freightliner service organization, which is comprised of more than 400 dealers in North America." Now the Beaumont location has none this and I mean none! They don't even have drop down bays or lifts to accommodate a motorhome. After having purchasing my one owner excellent condition Class A Tiffin from a 89 year old male who no longer felt he had the energy I took it straight to Freightliner for PM work. They were expensive but the owner told me it needed it. They changed the oil, water separator, fuel filter etc. I wanted then to also fix the in dash air conditioner which was having blower issues. They kept it for 3 weeks and finally I said I have to have it back to complete the registration by the 30 day required timeline. They charged 200.00 for time spent on the air conditioner. I drove the motorhome 9K miles towing a jeep over the next 6 months. It drove like luxury vehicle. I did have minor items to repair and did that while on the road. Camping world changed out the generator oil, lubed the slide out, and did a 22 point inspection. I found them to be rude, snobbish and pricy. I also had a hydraulic jack leak repaired at Stoltzfus RV and Marine in West Chester, PA. They were amazing and looked at an additional sticky jack and lubricated it for free. I went to get coffee at Starbucks and before finishing the coffee they called to say they were done. Total cost $124.76. Anyway the point is the gas was circulated a lot and it drove great even in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I filled the tank and parked the home on 9/21/15. I cranked it every few weeks kept it plugged in and ran the air or heat occasionally. I drove it in February and it drove great just a few miles >25 just showing it to others. On the 27th I drove it to Beaumont and it began running slower and slower till I pulled over and had it hauled to Freightliner for repair. I expected a plugged fuel filter but didn't have tools or a filter. I had free towing and it's due for maintenance again. Freightliner told me after changing the filter twice and those filters plugging with gel like fluid they didn't know what was in the fuel but it was bad and they needed to replace the fuel system. Estimate 10K. I freaked out and explained the aforementioned condition of the home stating that was impossible it only sat for 5 months and was full and well taken care of. I asked if there were any other options like fuel treatment etc. They assured me no that if the system wasn't fully flushed and all filters, pumps changed and tank pulled and cleaned it would cause catastrophic damage. I reluctantly agreed. Had they just fixed it and sent me on my way things may have been ok. This email is already long enough so I'll try to just hit the highlights. RV sat not being worked on more time than it was in the bay. Waited on truck to pull the fuel out. They indicated they had no siphon. Waited on them to pull the tank because they couldn't figure out how without bays or lifts. Finally they used boards and my jacks without my permission. Postponed several times because tech assigned to work on it called in sick or was in training.... What!!! Noticed new dent/scratch on the side rear when mentioned to the tech he said oh yea I thought that was new. Waited on tap to arrive to fix the stripped tank connection tech caused. I actually understand this one.. It happens. After all work was finally done 6 or 7 weeks in the motorhome wouldn't start. It would not recognize the gear it was in to be cranked. This was troubleshooted for 2 weeks. I mentioned maybe the transmission wiring was damaged isn't it near the tank? A new service manager showed up and found a pinched wire by the tank 2 day into his investigation and replaced the wire. Now the motorhome would crank 4 out of 6 times. So still transmission troubles. I force the manager to give me the bill total to date and to start all communication via email so I have documentation. Bill to date is $7,805.67. They trouble shoot some more and assuring me this cost is all on them not to worry I am still way under the estimate, however they will not give me my total cost to date no matter how much I ask. They finally call in a mobile transmission repair guy to help. He makes a few suggestions but indicates he doesn't want to get involved. They try his suggestions still no go. They tell me they are sending it to Stewart and Stevenson in Houston because they are a authorized Allison repair shop. Free of charge. It takes them a week to finally get it there. S&S says the shifter has gone out. Now a regional manager has to determine if this is due to Freightliner damage or did it go out on its own. I treated to get a lawyer. The regional manager says he can not determine one way or the other so they will pay for the $3K repair. It takes a week for the repair and almost a week to actually have someone drive the motorhome back to Beaumont where they can fix the dent and scratch. The bodyshop fixes the dent by Friday but they tell me they wanted to clean it up for me and when the manager checked it wasn't clean to his satisfaction so they are calling someone in on Saturday to clean it. Saturday rolls around and I hear nothing. I decide to get my motorhome out of there anyway. I show up 15 minutes till the service dept. closes. 4:45 I show up and the motorhome batteries are being charged. The service and general manager act like they are happy to se me saying hey we got your motorhome ready. I'm thinking why didn't you call. They bring it around and we look it over it looks like someone wiped it with a wet rag. It's not as filthy as it should be for the 3 month of hell its been thru but not 2 days working on it clean. As I run my finger down the side the service manager states they only cleaned the parts they had touched and got grease on. Again WHAT!!! We put the jacks down and have trouble with a sticky jack so they have to use another jack to manually retract it. I pay my "discounted" bill of $7,805.67 and leave before I end up in jail for disruptive conduct. Upon closer inspection at home we find a missing mud flap torn from the back wheel and the wheel cover all scratched up. They had to remove this wheel to disengage something for towing? We find a scratch and gouge where the generator pulls out. Our towing cable light connector which was mangled and dragged so they cut if off and wound it around the hitch. We had tied it up with a bungie cord and never had problems with it dragging. They also billed us for a inspection we never received $67.00. We had asked for a inspection because of the length of time it was there it was now ready to inspect and pay registration, however they type of inspection we need is $7.50. They are still working with us to resolve issues. They have me scheduled for a cleaning at a shop they send their new truck to and are sending me $300 for wheel covers, towing cable, and refunding the DOT inspection. They wanted me to measure the mud flap and they would send me some but I said no way. I'll have someone put one on and sending them the bill. I'll be damed it I'll do the work myself then drive down the road with mud flaps advertising Freightliner. I'm looking for a good tire shop and Michelin doesn't make my size anymore...UGH! I hope you have enjoyed the read. Spread the word. Linda Primm

Mike, Stacy,Preston & Dutch, our German Short Haired Pointer
2001 38.5' Dutch Star DP, 2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't know what to saw but OH MY I am so sorry for you. What a nightmare!!! Please post a review on RV Service Reviews as it needs another poor rating; it has one listed. Your review might help someone else. RV Service Reviews

"Living Our Dreams and ❤️ The Ride!" Kay & Richard, Austin TX
2015 Itasca Meridian 36M "Roada"
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is difficult to read due to the small font and no paragraphs. However, it is a horror story and I hope the word gets out about that Freightliner Service facility in Beaumont.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel your frustration. I had my run-ins with the local FL dealer who told me me they "don't like RVs and will put other trucks ahead of them", and their labor rate is higher than 18 wheelers, because they have to take their shoes off and clean up after themse lves (which they never did). That coupled with overly demanding DP maintenance requirements, I sold my DP and bought a easy to maintain 36' bath & half gasser which I now enjoy my new freedom from service center BS.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have talked or communicated with Freightliner and Freightliner Oasis Network?
"Living Our Dreams and ❤️ The Ride!" Kay & Richard, Austin TX
2015 Itasca Meridian 36M "Roada"
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I learned that having the "Oasis" designation doesn't mean too much. Let's face it, all Freightliner facilities are geared toward accommodating the commercial trucker. Motorhomes seem to take a back seat ...yes, even at Oasis locations.

For me, unless you need warranty work, it's much better to find a reputable independent shop. There are many across the country. Some might say "a Freightliner shop will know the chassis better" but that's not necessarily true. Again, they are focused on commercial trucks and some will not know a motorhome chassis any better than a good independent shop. Plus, Oasis shops usually charge much higher rates both for labor and parts.

I've been to some "pretty good" Freightliner facilities but, again, it really doesn't feel that they put motorhome customers high on their list. It may be that they think that most motorhome owners are retired and have time on their hands where for truckers, time is money.

It seems the only Freightliner Oasis shop that you consistently hear really good things about is the one in Tolleson Arizona. Otherwise, for me, I try to use reputable independent shops no matter where I travel in the country.

For anybody who does use Oasis facilities, remember to fill out the survey. I'm not sure what good it will do but I think it's best to fill it out anyway. It's attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FCCC Dealer Service Survey Form.pdf (579.1 KB, 20 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Freightliner's OFF my list. I had an alignment job done at a local dealership, promises of 4 wheel laser perfect job and all that "BS". They made the mistake of not keeping me out of the work bays. The final toe-in adjustment was made with a tape measure measuring the distance between tire treads on front and backs of tires. I paid, drove it home, (you know how it drove)went back the next morning and after some discussion, they gave me my check back and I didn't let the door hit me you know where when I left.
alank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Rexhall Owners Group
Wow....I think I need to open a RV repair shop. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. This is why I do all my own maintenance where possible. In fact, we are in the throws of purchasing a motel with RV hookups. Was seriously thinking of offering basic repairs service as I have heard these stories before and feel that we deserve better. Martin
Martin Picke'
1998 Rexhall Anthem 34' DP, Cummins ISB, Allison 5 speed, Spartan Chassis, 300 watts solar.
MartinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
I used a front end shop for years that only used a tape measure and a ball of string for toe in setting. Straight is straight would still be using him today if he hadn't retired. Better alignment than some of the new guys with there laser equipment
Bob & Elaine McClelland and the spoiled pup Izzie
2008 Monaco Diplomat
Desert Hills & Parker Az
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
I don't get why people think they have to go to a dealer all the time. There are plenty of independent diesel shops around.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have used the Houston Freightliner shop for 7 years and my experiences with them has been great. Matt is the RV Technician and now they have a dedicated enclosed bay for him to do his work in. All I can say is that I have been totally satisfied with their work.

Houston Freightliner
9550 N Loop E Fwy
Houston, TX 77029

Has anyone had a different experience with Hou FL?
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
This issue is a glaring weak point of FCCC. The Freightliner locations are independent franchises. Freighliner corp obviously doesn't police the Oasis requirements and so the franchises do what they want. FCCC wants to use the Oasis concept for a competitive advantage and buyers don't know it's a hollow promise until the purchase is made & they learn the hard way. Some Oasis locations take their responsibility seriously bit many do not.

This situation has been on going since the beginning. Freightliner choses to let it continue.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
RV Service Reviews

I don't know about most of you.....but I've tried to use RV Service Reviews (submit a review) on MULTIPLE occasions......strange thing is, I NEVER see my review show up. It's VERY apparent that they pick and choose what makes it to their website. I couldn't and wouldn't trust a review website that refuses to post legitimate reviews because they were negative. Will never use them for "squat".
There are other sources to get reviews.....

2013 Phaeton 40QBH
Freightliner Chassis/Cummins ISC 380HP
2010 Honda CRV Toad
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have used the Houston Freightliner shop for 7 years and my experiences with them has been great. Matt is the RV Technician and now they have a dedicated enclosed bay for him to do his work in. All I can say is that I have been totally satisfied with their work.

Houston Freightliner
9550 N Loop E Fwy
Houston, TX 77029

Has anyone had a different experience with Hou FL?

I have heard good things about this shop too. I tried to get an appointment there a while back for some work, though, and found that only Matt makes the appointments, and he is a hard guy to get a hold of. I eventually gave up because if I couldn't get him to make the appointment, I worried that it would take forever to actually get the work done.

I will try them again when I feel like I MUST use FL for some service--because I have heard that he does good work. But I have no illusions that anything will happen quickly.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote