Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
.....Fronts 65% off dealers best price
Rears 60% off dealers best price
I pay for mounting, balancing and Front End Alignment .....
That seems like a pretty reasonable adjustment for 4 year old tires. Considering that most of us will replace our tires at 7-8 years anyway. You got half a lifetime out of them and a 60-65% trade in. Of course, this is assuming they're replacing them with actual new tires, not what they did to Mel.

Now you just have to wonder if the new XZEs will have similar cracking issues 4 years down the road. It's up to you. If you're comfortable with Michelins, I'd suggest taking them up on their offer. If not, there are other brands out there.

Good luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
I appreciate all of the Feedback both positive and negative.
My deal with Michelin is complete and they are putting on
6 New XZA 3 Plus- 275/80 R22.5's I'm upping the size a little as I have the room .
I know there are a variety issues with Michelin as well as other Tire Companies, They are willing to go the this extent to satisfy a long term customer, I need to give them another chance. This is my 4th set of Michelins.
My Motor Home does Not sit for months at a time in storage and during winter- Nov - Feb 1 its inside then rolls to Florida, If its parked for more than a week the Tires are covered.

NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #17

Just curious, Why is there a different percentage from front to rear tires???

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #18

Ron,
The rears had 1/32 more wear, that's where the weight is.
Fronts were 11/32 and the Rears were 10/32
Original's I believe were 16/32 based on how they measure.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If Goodyear really offers a 7 year warranty on cracking they can afford to because the Goodyear's don't crack. My front G670's (5 years) and rear G647's (8 years) have zero cracks and look almost new, and the coach is always stored outside and without tire covers. And, yes, the rears are due for replacement.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #20

Haven't heard any cracking issues with Goodyears.
Yes your Rears are due.
I might add that the 2nd set of Michelin's lasted 7 yrs and 88,000 Miles.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

It's a very strange phenomenon. Some folks get tires that develop cracks within the first couple of years, while others run theirs 7-8 years and never have the problem. My motorhome came with 10 year old XRVs on it. I replaced them right away, but the sidewalls looked like new. I wish someone could nail down exactly what's causing this issue.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #22

Bob,
I don't thinks it's an Us issue but a Manufacturing Issue somewhere in their system of production, that they won't publicize, All I can say is they were all over me trying to handle the issue with my tires in addition I might add that I have Michelin's on my 1999 Denali -- My 1995 F-150 Pickup and my Wife's Murano and there are no issues on them, the only thing I don't have Michelin's on is my Dixie Chopper , Race Car and Trailer.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
It's a very strange phenomenon. Some folks get tires that develop cracks within the first couple of years, while others run theirs 7-8 years and never have the problem. My motorhome came with 10 year old XRVs on it. I replaced them right away, but the sidewalls looked like new. I wish someone could nail down exactly what's causing this issue.
SilverBob
I don't know what caused my Michelin tires to crack prematurely.
But I do know that if I NEVER BUY MICHELINS AGAIN I will never have that problem again.

BTW, the previous 2 sets of tires on my coach, (both Goodyear G159s), lasted nearly 8 years each.

Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my new to me Class A Newmar back in February. It was a 2005 model, had the original Michelin XRVs on it and they had definite cracking on the sidewalls. I didn't worry too much about it - it was 10 yrs old. As part of the purchase deal, I got the the dealer to replace the tires with new Michelin XRVs. So now after reading through all this, I guess I'm a little worried that I maybe should have gone with Goodyear or something else. I've always had great service out of Michelins on my vehicles, so I figured I's go Michelin on the coach. I'll keep them covered as best I can and hope for the best.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced the Michelin tires on the '02 Dutch Star in 2010 or 2011 so figure 8, maybe 9 years. They had some small cracks around the lettering but not serious.
The Magna has the OEM Michelins on it and there are NO cracks anywhere. I figure the original owner kept it inside when not in use. A couple of the tires are dated late '07 too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Back in Nov last year I was advised of cracks in one of my XRV. This was on the front of the MH. It was 4 years old. Les Swab, my tire dealer contacted Michelin who said it was under a 6 year warranty and to send it to them. Based on the date and wear Michelin sent me a check for $381.08. BTW, I have ran Michelins on this MH since it came from the factory and this was the first tire to ever produce cracks. What's odd is that both fronts were produced at the same time and place. At home and on the road I cover my tires if I'm staying more then one night. Two of my old XRV's are on a friends heavy duty dump truck as boogie wheels and they are crack free and over ten years old. The other 4 year old XRV is totally crack free and is still on the front of the MH.

So, if you experience issues with Michelin tires, be sure to take it up with an Authorized Dealer. I didn't know that they covered my tire under warranty for 6 years.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #27

Spent 1/2 the day at my tire shop and all done.
6 New XZA 3 plus 275/80 R 22.5 and WOW what a difference in ride.
Very smooth all the way up to 78- yes I hit 78 for a few seconds, like driving a Sports Car- well you get it. I upped the size from the 255's to 275's and glad I did.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #28

I put Michelins on our new-to-us Safari Trek in 2009, and there are just beginning to be very small cracks. The coach is stored outside, and I almost always use tire covers. I'm one of the Michelin fans, used them on three previous motorhomes, and will replace with the same brand in the next year or two.

I wonder if the cracking tires were manufactured in a different plant?. Maybe those with this problem could look on the sidewall of their tires and post where they were made. I have seen Michelins from USA, South America, France, and China, and the OEM Goodyear Marathon tires on my Featherlite trailer were made in New Zealand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote