Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #99

American Coach Owners Club
Another XRV Cracking story

Wrote to Armorall and here is their response ,
(Mr. Westcott,

Thank you for contacting us with your concern. To answer your question about the Armor All Extreme Tire Shine, no there is not any chemical or ingredient in this product that would cause the tires to crack. To get a list of what this product contains, please go to our website @: www.armorall.com and at the bottom of the page click on the SDS option. This will give you access to the Safety Data Sheets of our products. You will be able to download this sheet and it will have the list of ingredients of what is in this product. If you have any questions concerning this or anything else feel free to contact us back via e-mail or our toll free hotline @ (800) 222-7784.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Thank You
Customer Support
AAG/IDQ Holdings, Inc. | 2901 W. Kingsley Rd | Garland, TX. 75041
ref:_00Dd0ggRE._500d0bT40e:ref)

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #100

I went to the Armor All web page that Chuck posted above. I found a product called "ARMOR ALLŪ Ultra Shine Protectant". I believe this is what he is referring to. According to the SDS for the product, it contains less than 10% mineral oil, and over 90% "non-hazardous substances". I'm sure that petroleum distillates would not fall under "non-hazardous substances", but I don't know about silicone. I know that silicone is often used in food processing, so maybe they don't have to list it as a hazard? I don't know.

Either way, I'm not crazy about slathering mineral oil, or any other oil for that matter, on my tires. I think I'll just keep using soap and water.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #101

Bob,
To each His own as we all have our own opinions and concerns on these Motor Home issues.What works for me may not work for you.--I get it ! Me ? I'll keep using Armorall as I have for the last 50 plus years or so and keep driving down the road with a Clean looking MH.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #102

I had Michelin X RVs on my 06ix Georgetown manufactured in 05 have them for nine years and not one crack in them just replace them in 2014 hope I get the same performance
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Agreed. To each his own, friend.

My personal experience has me sold on Aerospace 303 Protectant.

Take Care.

Cheers!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are overpriced junk tires. XZE's are worse than XRV'S. A 5 year old blow-out put me looking at opposing traffic. Got lucky no crash. Replacement set turned to crap in five years. Never again!

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Bob,
To each His own as we all have our own opinions and concerns on these Motor Home issues.What works for me may not work for you.--I get it ! Me ? I'll keep using Armorall as I have for the last 50 plus years or so and keep driving down the road with a Clean looking MH.
Don't get me wrong, my friend. I don't blame you a bit for doing what's always worked for you. We should all base our decisions on what works for us in real life, not on what we read on the internet. At least that's how I do it!

I've never used any preservatives on my tires, even when I was much younger and owned Corvettes and Jaguars. I found that the preservatives just seemed to attract dust, and ended up looking worse than just clean black tires. Of course, I've always lived in rural areas where not all roads are paved! Your mileage, as they say, may vary!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Sorry for your bad experience. Maybe your yelling caused the delay?
Michelin promptly paid me $2,700 in less than 3 weeks start to finish for 4 year, 8 month old tires.
But I spoke nicely to them and they treated me the same. Outstanding service.
Cheers!
alpha99
That could be.
However, I was both courteous and respectful to Michelin Customer Care during many phone conversations over a 6 week period.... but when became apparent that the negotiations were getting me nowhere I did get a little "belligerent".
Finally Michelin authorized the replacement of all 6 of my then 3-1/2 year old side wall cracked 9R22.5 XZE tires at a Pomp's Tire store near my location...who charged me a total of $794.28, ($132.38 per tire), including mounting and taxes.

BTW, South Side Tire in Weston WI, (the first of the 2 "authorized Michelin tire dealers" that Michelin Customer Care recommended), had the audacity to quote me a total price of $2,800 for the same 6 replacement tires.
(Kudos to Pomp Tire, 1690 County Rd XX, Rothschild, WI for saving me over $2,000).

I will never buy another Michelin Tire...(would you??)

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #107
Commercial Member

tire clean&shine stuff

As a tire engineer I have seen many tires from a variety of companies have sidewall cracking issues and evidence of sidewall shine stuff.

IMO I would not use anything that doesn't easily come off with soap & water.

If however you want to use something I would only ask that you not come back and post any complaints about the sidewall having cracks and not accept any responsibility for using a product the tire company recommends against using.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #108

Just a side note on the Armorall.
The XRV's that developed cracking on My Sidewalls was my 3RD Set and the 2 Prior Sets never cracked at all with the same Maintenance program and Armorall after every wash.
The 1st 2 sets Mileaged out at 90 thousand Miles and 6 yrs of service, never an issue. Go Figure.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Took the Old Beast to my tire dealer for my 30,000 mile rotation and he refused based on some minor cracking on the sidewalls.(dated code-011)- Installed 2012.
Tires have 52,000 on them and are 3 yrs old, He suggested new tires and suggested to change from Michelin to Firestone- FS560, He offered a $90 credit for the Michelin's to help me out.
Thought about it and I agreed- apt for this Monday.
Came home and just for fun called Michelin and to asked about the cracking issues and Let me tell you, They were all over me with assistance and offered to replace my tires - prorated of course, so now I'm waiting for a $ number to see if its worth while.
Has anyone else had this happen and did Michelin offer support?
Just a thought for you if you have to replace your tires, read up on Bridgestone tires you will find out that they have a much stronger sidewall that handles the weight of you MH much better, if you can find someone that will put them on and let you drive around the block you will not take them off.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
As a tire engineer I have seen many tires from a variety of companies have sidewall cracking issues and evidence of sidewall shine stuff.

IMO I would not use anything that doesn't easily come off with soap & water.

If however you want to use something I would only ask that you not come back and post any complaints about the sidewall having cracks and not accept any responsibility for using a product the tire company recommends against using.

+1

Agree. I've seen the difference myself, first hand.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #111

Had a Michelin dealer tell me they no longer made the xrv. Wanted to sell me the XZE's. was he right?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Had a Michelin dealer tell me they no longer made the xrv. Wanted to sell me the XZE's. was he right?

Don't buy from him under any circumstance. He's lying and he wants to move what he has in stock.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote